24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 Old 11-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Magliano View Post
Do I push to get it fixed? Understanding that now I would have a completely new cooling system, radiator, Egr, egr coolers, oil cooler etc. OR push for a different vehicle??? Also,I did purchase a 5 year 30,000 warranty that covers all the major know issues. So I have that going for me as well.

Hi Marc, I would keep it, I bought a 2008 F250 XLT 6.4 4x4 back in August 2008, I ordered this truck from the dealer in May 08 and waited for it to come. Anyway, I have not had a single problem with the 6.4. After the first 60,000 KM, I deleted the EGR and added a MBRP 5" exhaust system with a MiniMax tuner. I was extremely please with the mpg & power increase.
I love this truck. It is currently been in the shop for the past 4 years, getting totally restored*, Engine only gets a few external components, but the frame was completely stripped of every last nut & bolt, being sandblasted & painted including the underside of the cab all painted. All of that being painted with $2000. of POR-15. I am now in the process of putting her back together.

* by reason of Ford's lousy rust protection & a very poor undercoating job by Ziebart.

Good luck with what ever choice you make.

>>Gord
Work Truck Fanatic likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gord from Emsdale For This Useful Post:
Marc Magliano (12-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 11-16-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My opinion... wait. First a question, they let you get a 30k warranty on a '08 with 120k miles?? I say push for the repairs and see how it does monitor it like hell. get ford to find anything that needs fixing so the other dealer/warranty can pay, they'll love that. I have a friend that loves getting "complete coverage" on cars a few years old and driving them straight to the dealer and getting the "list" of what needs fixing for the warranty company to pay.
Really though, I dont think there anre many perfect used vehicles out there for sale. They are for sale for a reason. I made my decision on low previous ownership and the dealer service history. I say find your out real quick... I equate 1 owner to more possiblity of maintenance, in my case with the ford service history it proved it. That being said, I'm a bit of a worry bug so the first thing I did was bpd oil cooler, hpop fitting, bpd egr cooler, ficm, trans flush, water pump, belt, coolant thermostat,7.3 upgrade/downgrade, did my coolant pressure test (passed)... because on the internet all i read was the 6.0 is the worst engine on the planet.... I'm only 16k miles on her since I updated, but haven't had an issue. But I'm also now 12k deep into an '05 crew 6.0 with now 142-ishk mile truck that I only drive in Fridays. And drives to california on weekends. But the one thing I do religiously is maintenance on filters , fluids and start my torque app before I even think about turning the key to start it.

Basically, it's a crap shoot.

Last edited by jullsplv; 11-16-2019 at 06:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jullsplv For This Useful Post:
post #13 of 28 Old 11-17-2019, 01:19 AM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
If they have to replace all the hoses, that leads me to believe the oil cooler ruptured to begin with... And they didn't replace everything at that point.

Everything is expensive and time consuming in the 6.4 world.
SparkyF250 likes this.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyS0b For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 Old 11-17-2019, 01:54 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
You purchased a used vehicle with an extended warranty. Unless the dealer gave you some kind of money back guarantee, youíre pretty much stuck with it. If it breaks in half down the road, call two tow trucks because you own both pieces.

Use your warranty, and donít be offended if the service advisor and techs donít roll out the red carpet for you. Most warranty companies donít pay as much time as a customer pay job would, but find a reputable shop that will accept the warranty to work on the truck. You didnít specify, but Iím assuming itís an aftermarket warranty company. Personally Iíd have it fixed, and get rid of it.

Lastly, donít take things too personally. What you may perceive as an insult may just be good advice that isnít worded as diplomatically as, ď...have it fixed and get rid of itĒ. It may not be what you wanted to hear, but most people here arenít going to pander to feelings. In general the 6.4 doesnít take top honors in the reliability department. Thatís just the nature of the beast. Whatís on your side is the warranty, so it wonít be a burden on your wallet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jjorgis5569 For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 28 Old 11-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
If it's aftermarket warranty, it pays retail time.
It's only warranty time if it's a manufacturer warranty.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
post #16 of 28 Old 11-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
If they have to replace all the hoses, that leads me to believe the oil cooler ruptured to begin with... And they didn't replace everything at that point.

Everything is expensive and time consuming in the 6.4 world.
If it turned into a milkshake, I'd try and get my money back, or get the value of it on another vehicle.
You can never get all of it out of there. Unless you pull the engine, strip it, and go to town with a pressure washer on a stand.
Why Ford always replaced the block (as well as all cooling components) If that were the case.

If it was just starting and it was just a layer in the degas bottle, different story.
Depends how far gone it is.
SparkyF250 and CrazyS0b like this.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
-Michelangelo
post #17 of 28 Old 11-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloverLeafFarm View Post
well its a 6.4 so your almost guaranteed to fighting issues the remainder of your ownership.

probably should have done more research before buying a 6.4 or you'd know that its the worst diesel engine you could get in a truck
You're not 100% correct. The 6.4 is the worst engine Ford ever put in a truck (fun as hell to drive though till something breaks) No the worst diesel engine you could get in a truck has to be the 6.2 that GM put out in 1982.

On another note, it seems you hurt the OPs feelings and he's gone. Maybe he'll go to FB, he'll get lots of support there.
JustinOOO9 and nine9six like this.

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

post #18 of 28 Old 11-18-2019, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a job 1 6.4 I brought new in August of 08 it was built in March of 2007 after I brought it the dealer called me back to have some upgrades done I only had 1 problem after 40,000 miles every once in a while white smoke would pour out the exhaust and the problem was where the 2 egr coolers bolted together coolant would leak into the exhaust side thats when all the that junk was deleted and never had the problem again only other problem the back plates?for the emergency brake rusted out and a rock hit the intercooler and cracked it and the was replaced with a mishimoto cooler and I just had the 2 up pipes replaced it only has 118,000 or so miles on it I love the truck and hope nothing major happens to it as I am going from MD to Kentucky next week.
post #19 of 28 Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 AM
It is What IT is

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Magliano View Post
1) I wasnít asking for your insults 2) you never even provided your opinion 3) clearly your a Chevy owning troll 🖕🏻
Really?

You come to the Org for advice and when it's given to you you crap on the person who offers it. In my world, we call you guys Askholes. Ask for advice but then offended when given to you then you'll do your own thing anyways and get screwed and come back for another round of whining.....

Here's my advice to you whether solicited or not (I could give a rip). You bought a 6.4 without doing a lick of research. You WANTED a diesel cuz hey they're fun to drive. Then when the **** hits the fan with the 6.4 (and it always does) you cry like a baby. No sympathy here.

We're all friends here dude. We all have each others back. Coming here and being an Askhole won't be well received AT ALL. Look at how long some of us have been on. Look at the number of posts>>>history and knowledge.

Rant over. Eat some humble pie dude.

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #20 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
LOL - Not gone on purpose. Also I will tell you I most defiantly can take the feedback. Feelings not hurt here. I learned long ago that there are always one or two *******s in any group. I will post an update shortly! Its a good story!!!

Thanks - not an insult put this way at all! You provided feedback and your opinion. That was my ask in the first place. Not like other DB's. I will be updating this saga shortly....

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 12-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode