Temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temps

Today while towing a 24í enclosed trailer with a RZR in it, my temps seemed high. 220-2230 coolant, 210-220 oil. Temps outside was 99. Highway had hills and downhills. Going down hill temps would reduce to around 205 coolant and 196 oil. Truck is total deletes, Mini max with gear head tow tunes, coolant filter, 5 inch exhaust, and ran good. Not sure why temps always get high when towing. Not sure itís an issue or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Garage
To me the coolant seems a bit hot. Are you sure you dont have the numbers backwards? The oil is usually hotter than the coolant.

But in any case, the temps seem normal for the conditions. Hot ambient temp, good sized trailer, its bound to get hot. I would try keeping it in a lower gear on the uphills and see if it helps. My max temps before i slow down or pull over is 220 oil, 215 coolant, and 210 trans. But thats with huge mishi coolers so i would say in your case 225 oil 220 coolant and 220 trans.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
That's definitely hotter than my 08 gets while pulling my 30ft 8k lb camper. I've done some long uphill mountain passes (15+ miles) on nearly 100deg days and my coolant/oil temps don't go over 210-215 usually with the A/C running full blast too. But I would usually slow down to 60-65mph too.

Depends on what you mean by some hill passes and what speeds/rpm's you're pushing. If you are running long climbs and trying to hold 75mph then I could see it getting that high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Funny when I do use tow haul mode my temps oil and coolant increase but exhaust temps decrease. I usually go in and out on tow haul to keep temps inline. If oil gets to 230 fan kicks on and temps decrease fast. I donít think there is any issues but just checking. During long hauls like that I still get coolant out of degas a little bit, but had all tests done and no head gasket concerns. Heads are studded and o-ringed.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-28-2019, 04:45 AM

That still seems hotter than it should be running. Like others have said, 220-230deg is usually the max point people set their monitors to. Once it hits that its time to defuel and start cooling it down. If you are hitting that regularly something isn't right.

What truck do you have?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2019, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

This doesnít happen regularly. Only when towing the trailer in hot weather like that. No towing, temps are in the 190s. It cools down quickly also. Itís a 2008.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2019, 12:02 PM

Okay, you may be just fine then. Just keep watching them and start to slow down and turn off the A/C when they get in the 220 range!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-30-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok today towed again going into Colorado mountains. Temps oil got to 230 on hills but cooled down quickly after the climb, coolant was 8-12 degrees colder. Truck ran great but curious why coolant came out degas, just a little bit. If the Coolant level is to high when cold can that cause this? I have old degas bottle so itís between fill lines. Again pressure test shows no signs of head gaskets, and I already have ARP head studs and oring heads. Maybe degas cap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode