Looking for tips on hub snap ring install - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Takes three hands and a couple of small screw drivers, plus the snap ring pliers -- easy peasy.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 03-16-2019, 05:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Here's a trick I used.........Take your snap ring/ snap ring pliers........take handles of snap ring pliers and insert into a vise, now carefully close the vise and expand your snap ring.....I say carefully as ya have to make sure pliers don't fly out of the vise and your snap ring then goes flying...oh yeah eye protection is recommended. Now with vise closed and snap ring expanded......take a few zip ties and secure them around the handles of your pliers....it takes a few ties as that snap ring is pretty strong. Now when you open the vise...voila....your pliers and snap ring are held open. You can now insert/guide the snap ring into position with one hand and use a screw driver to help line it up with the groove.....Once lined up with the groove in the axle......you simply hold it there with one hand....and with other hand you take some cutters and cut the zip ties......bammo snap ring is in position.....
post #13 of 20 Old 03-16-2019, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer View Post
Here's a trick I used.........Take your snap ring/ snap ring pliers........take handles of snap ring pliers and insert into a vise, now carefully close the vise and expand your snap ring.....I say carefully as ya have to make sure pliers don't fly out of the vise and your snap ring then goes flying...oh yeah eye protection is recommended. Now with vise closed and snap ring expanded......take a few zip ties and secure them around the handles of your pliers....it takes a few ties as that snap ring is pretty strong. Now when you open the vise...voila....your pliers and snap ring are held open. You can now insert/guide the snap ring into position with one hand and use a screw driver to help line it up with the groove.....Once lined up with the groove in the axle......you simply hold it there with one hand....and with other hand you take some cutters and cut the zip ties......bammo snap ring is in position.....
This is the exact same method I used. Zipties FTW. I tried for several hrs and even tried to hunt down a local snap-on truck as I was told those would work as well. I broke 2 pairs before I found a pair of Craftsman pliers that worked. However they were pretty bent up after just doing the two hubs.

Edit: I just realized this is for the 6.4L trucks as I did this on a '12 6.7L. Although I sure they probably haven't changed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F-250 Platinum CCSB Fx4
6.7L PowerStroke Deleted
EZ-Lynk w/ Tyrant Tunes
5" FloPro Straight Pipe
Edge Insight CTS2
Retrax Tonneau Cover
Linex Premium Spray Liner

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat CCSB Fx4 (Sold)
6.7L Powerstroke Deleted
SCT x4 w/ Innovation Diesel Tunes
5" FloPro Straight Pipe
Edge Insight CTS2
ReadyLift SST Stage 3 2.5F/3R
Fuel Savage 20x9 Wheels
Goodyear Duratracs 325/60/20
OUO Rear Traction Bars
Uniden 980SSB CB Radio
60" Firestik II Antenna
50-Gal Transfer Flow Trax II Auxiliary Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 03-16-2019, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Takes three hands and a couple of small screw drivers, plus the snap ring pliers -- easy peasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acjet88 View Post
This is the exact same method I used. Zipties FTW. I tried for several hrs and even tried to hunt down a local snap-on truck as I was told those would work as well. I broke 2 pairs before I found a pair of Craftsman pliers that worked. However they were pretty bent up after just doing the two hubs.

Edit: I just realized this is for the 6.4L trucks as I did this on a '12 6.7L. Although I sure they probably haven't changed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I'll have to try all these methods out. I had just changed the wheel bearing. Not a tough job at all. The hardest part of the whole is dealing with the snap ring.

I will it drove it maybe 20 miles with it sitting in there (I had to) but, it's parked until I figure it out.

Thanks for the help guys.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I still can't get the snap ring in. It's like there is no room for it. Is there any damage that could be done if I drove the truck without the snap ring in it?
post #16 of 20 Old 03-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
u need to pry the axle shaft forward by prying at the u joint inside the knucke
wedge the tool inplace untill you get the snap ring on

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
read = https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...g-wont-go.html

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Thank you, Sir
ZMANN likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-18-2019, 05:18 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
That snap ring is a bear. I bought every pair of snap ring pliers I could find and none of them worked. I eventually built a set with really long handles - like 18 or 20 inches long. They're ugly and crude as hell but they worked where nothing else did. The zip tie idea looks like a winner for putting the snap ring back in but it was getting the miserable bugger out that had me stumped. Good luck. I wouldn't dream of driving it without the ring.

Several 7.3s in my past
Currently driving a 2006 6.0
post #20 of 20 Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
i picked up a set of Snap riung pliers from Napa. for me, the clip didnt look like it was seated, so i banged on the axle towards the hub from the back, then took a long flat head andbanged the snap ring till it fully seated. it seemed to just be "crooked" i guess not fully flat against the hub/axle shaft. it popped right in with a few taps of the mallet.

2007 F250 Lariat Outlaw
Stock Motor
5" MBRP Catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in