LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 Old 04-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm854 View Post
the last 3 have been V2 with rubber mounts and I have made all consequent changes that Mishimoto has suggested
Doesn't look promising for my V2

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3
2019 F350 CCSB 6.7 Lariat Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
There are quite a few on the road that have lasted just fine.

But I do have to point out that its the consumers responsibility to make an informed, educated, and researched decision when it comes to a purchase. No offense but look at this just like the 2017 SD... Who in their right mind would buy the first version of a product without waiting to see the issues. And again, them advertising it as a fix holds true for a lot of people. There ARE some trucks that just seem to chew through radiators like they are potato chips.

2015 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat - Stock, for now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, Egr delete with BD intake elbow, SCT X4 with tunes from Tyrant Diesel, Monitored by CTS, Fox 2.0s. - SOLD
-Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 40 Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 PM
'consent of the governed'

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
Who in their right mind would buy the first version of a product without waiting to see the issues.
jmo? Oh, wait, you said right mind.
CrazyS0b likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
First, without knowing the failure rates, you cannot say that they are selling a faulty product. There are a number of trucks that are on the fringe and have multiple failures. If Mishimoto sells 10,000 of these radiators and we hear about 100 failures, that's 1%. It's hardly what I'd call a faulty product. I don't have these numbers either. I'd love to see them though.

Second, I am in the market right now for a radiator so I am following this with a lot of interest. I have seen this problem pop up time and time again (Mishimoto failures), but I know that we always hear about the failures and rarely about the successes. Also, we are on a forum where you'll hear more about issues in general. Did anyone have a Mishimoto that suddenly just started "working"?

Maybe I missed it, but what have you done as far as additional fixes to make sure that the Mishimoto was "primed" for success? Did you change the body mounts/hoses/coolant bottles/etc.? Again, I didn't see where you said you did this, I just want to know that what you've done is what they recommend. I have seen too many of these stories where people complain about the Mishimoto (or any other product) not fixing their problem and they never made the additional fixes necessary to make it work.

My biggest question overall is, for those of you that have had repeated failures with Mishimoto, when you switched to another radiator, has the problem gone away? Everyone wants to point a finger in frustration, but I haven't seen a case where someone stops using the Mishimoto and uses another radiator and the problem doesn't occur again. I've inferred it from some of the stories, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has a different experience. Also, what did you replace it with?
Heavy_GD likes this.

It may be your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.
post #25 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
My biggest question overall is, for those of you that have had repeated failures with Mishimoto, when you switched to another radiator, has the problem gone away? Everyone wants to point a finger in frustration, but I haven't seen a case where someone stops using the Mishimoto and uses another radiator and the problem doesn't occur again. I've inferred it from some of the stories, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has a different experience. Also, what did you replace it with?
I had two Mishimotos leak on my OBS, both failures were mirror images of each other. Got a refund and went with the cheapest plastic tanked rad I could find on amazon. I've had no problems since.

Once when one of my Mishimoto 6.4 rad left me in a bind on a Friday, I used one day Saturday shipping to get a plastic tanked rad from Amazon so I could replace it on Sunday (working 6 days a week a hundred miles from the house). The Mishimoto replacements ususally take about 10 days to get to me in PA.

It worked very well until the temps went below zero, it would leak. The end tank would separate from the fins. If it was 4F, it would not leak, as soon as it went below zero, it would leak again. So with this now happening, unusually cold temps, and my replacement Mishimoto having showed up after the warranty process, I put it in.

I was driving 108 miles one way to work and close to 300 miles total a day, so I had to have the truck as reliable as possible.

The leak (lower passenger side) of the plastic tank rad did not mirror that of all the failures of the Mishimotos I've had. I do not believe it was caused by the truck flexing, which I believe is causing the Mishimoto failures. All my Mishimotos have failed in the same location (about 4 inches down from the top, drivers side). It's been deja vu after deja vu.

The factory rad in my 6.4 lasted about 42k miles. That was 42k miles without the Mishimoto list of new/updated parts that are supposed to promote rad longevity. If my version 2 Mishimoto fails, I'll probably ask for a refund and go back to a Motorcraft OEM branded rad but I really have no faith left that any brand/style rad will hold up in my 6.4.

@Doss , if I were you, I'd go factory. Good luck with what you choose.

Forgot to mention, I've got most of the changes done to "prime for success" like you mentioned. Poly urethane body mounts, updated hoses, the only thing I don't have is the latest single port degass bottle. I am not convinced though that any of these updated besides the body mounts would make a difference. Most of the updated components are recommended to prevent pressure spikes/oscillations. One of my Mishimotos was abused with 24 psi of pressure when my head gaskets were leaking. It held up just fine to all the pressure. I could make it puke tons of coolant on command and 24 psi was the highest I saw on my makeshift coolant pressure gauge.

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3

Last edited by ars5147; 04-06-2016 at 09:44 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ars5147 For This Useful Post:
Doss (04-06-2016)
post #26 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
@ars, exactly what I was looking for.

Although, I will say that for everyone that says the factory radiator lasted way longer, you must remember the body mounts and just about every other mount were technically already done on day 1. Plus, the chassis was most likely a lot stiffer being fresh from the factory. As we get miles on these things, everything begins to move more... even if it's just fractions of a millimeter.

Which one did you use from Amazon? I can order one up and see how it works as I can't stand filling my overflow again while I wait to make a decision. I definitely don't want to pay OEM money and have it fail.

Also, what poly mounts did you go with? I'm looking to do that as my truck has about 115k miles on it (it's been getting light duty for the last 2 years because I am out of town mostly).

Keep us updated on how that V2 is working. If it works for a good majority of people, I'm willing to swap out to it mainly because I rarely drive the truck right now. But, starting next year I'll be towing an Airstream around the country and don't want to spend time on the road fixing radiator after radiator.

I just want to swap everything at once and get it running solid again. If know the driver's side cap is leaking. I also have the old hoses and 2 port bottle. I need to crawl under and check the state of my mounts though. The truck is deleted so that eliminates some components.

It may be your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.
post #27 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I only use/recommend OEM cab mount bushings
The Following User Says Thank You to drunk on diesel For This Useful Post:
Doss (04-06-2016)
post #28 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
I only use/recommend OEM cab mount bushings
Everyone should listen to this recommendation

@Doss , I went with Daystar for the body mount bushings. I would not recommend them. Go with factory, they are a much better fit. I still debate on going with factory stuff, just really haven't motivated myself enough to do it. Mine ended up on the truck because the factory ones were completely unusable and fell apart when I started to remove them. My only option was throw the daystars on because they were sitting in front of me.

The daystars work but I'm skeptical to how well. They squeak too sometimes and I hate it.

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3

Last edited by ars5147; 04-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.
post #29 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 11:13 AM

@Doss , the factory bushing were toast before 75k miles. I was very surprised of how bad they were. You can't see how bad they are from the outside though.

Looking into it, it ends up I got the rad for the 6.4 from Rockauto. It was a 'Spectra Premium' brand. They used to have a lifetime warranty but now it's only 24 months according to Rockauto.com. Tons of different places sell the brand. Rock auto was the cheapest I think. Amazon prime gets me free two day shipping. I'll just say I buy tons of stuff there haha.

I bought a 'Spectra Premium' off amazon for my OBS and have had no issues at all with it.

I wouldn't change out the degas bottle and hoses if they aren't leaking. To me it's a don't fix something that ain't broke situation.

True about the truck wearing in. It makes the OEM rad a gamble, especially with no kind of warranty that I know of.

I'm keeping a close eye on the version 2. It seems light years better in absorbing flex and vibrations with the rubber mount pegs.

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3

Last edited by ars5147; 04-06-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #30 of 40 Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,135 Times in 2,043 Posts
Mentioned: 434 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mishimoto Radiator = Defective Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars5147 View Post
@Doss It was a 'Spectra Premium' brand. They used to have a lifetime warranty but now it's only 24 months according to Rockauto.com.

I bet they are losing cash replacing them too.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode