AC only working when I am driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC only working when I am driving

So here is the skinny:
When I drive AC works fine awesome cold as can be.

When I parked for lunch the other day I noticed the AC stopped blowing cold air. What the heck? It has done it a couple of times now, but today while I was parked it stayed cold.... So I don't know if there is something starting to fail or what. But I always have a puddle under my truck so the line is getting cold and the compressor must work if it blows while I am driving right?

Also not sure if this means anything but every so often I will check my DTC on my insight and every so often I will get the P0528 code for fan speed circuit. But not always if I clear it, it will stay off for 500-1000 miles but pop back on. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I call the dealer about it and they said that when I turn the truck on if the fan is spinning it is getting a signal that is why it is not throwing a hard code and only a soft code...Not sure what to think about that. But my ECT stay 190-196 depending on if it is stop and go.

your thoughts guys?

Sean
2003-6.0 F250 LXT FX 110k Just bought 3-10-2013
Trailer Pkg (Was told it means stiffer springs)
Snow Pkg (Was told it means stiffer suspension in front)
EGR Delete
Sinister Coolant Filter
Coolant- Gold Plus Changed (3-14-2013)
Blue Spring Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mine was doing approx the same thing. thought something was broken, then turned down the temp a couple degrees and everything has been fine since.don't know if this will be your cure but i haven't had any problem since.

post #3 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
mine has done the same thing i did what the above poster did and it helped mine

Jess
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3 once again!!
MBRP 4'' Turbo Back and Chrome
05 Grille
Carolina Powerstroke Assocation member
LIFE IS TO SHORT SO RIDE A FAST HORSE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Mod Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you have your EGR valve unplugged, that will cause your fan speed code. Low fan speed is gonna cause A/C issues at idle because it isn't spinning fast enough to draw air across the condenser.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Anybody else have anthing? I've noticed the same symptoms as the OP since summer started.
Mine only has real good cold air on rainy or cloudy days or cool mornings. When it decides to work on a sunny day, it's just cool enough(with a trick).

-Watched my fan speed today with ac on. Never saw over 900rpms on the fan. At idle with ac, fan speed is anywhere from 380-500rpm, usually on the lower end. At idle with ac off it seems to stay in the mid to low 300 range usually. Driving with ac, fan speed would hardly change, just hold in the upper range of 380-500, sometimes higher.

-I have no overheating issues at all. EGR is stock and connected and cleaned recently. Towed my boat(~8500 lbs) real hard last weekend seeing what temps would do. Got up to max of 216 oil and 208 coolant, oil would come down to match coolant and build back up.

-Weird thing here. I'm in an Excursion with rear a/c. When only the front is on, it rarely gets cool enough. I switch on the rear a/c, rear vents blow out cooler, and then the front vents start blowing cooler, which is what makes this bearable.

-While towing, the ac blows warmer then when empty. Just started noticing this 2 weekends ago.

Hopefully someone reads all this. Thank you. Any Ideas?!? Is it worth the money putting in a new fan clutch? I have an appointment to get it done, just not sure if the $400 will make any difference here. I'm planning on finding an ac place to check out the refrigerant tomorrow to rule that out.

2005 Excursion Limited w/274K+ miles
-Turbo back exhaust -Harley Headlights & Grill
-OEM 20's -FICM Tuner -EGR delete -Torque Pro App

Last edited by johnnybgood; 08-28-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 AM
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
One of my pulleys started locking up. Ac wpild barely work when stopped. Not enough toque on it.

coolant-filter-EGR delete-blue spring-ARP's-BPD oil cooler-5in exhaust-horn blasters shocker kit-SCT running SRL++-beans tank sump-BPD water pump-and 4x4 complete
DEUS VULT
post #7 of 17 Old 06-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have had the same symptoms since I had my AC recharged about a couple of weeks ago. I had the truck down for 2 weeks while I was redoing the EGR/oil coolers. Had a leak at the compressor to AC line flange (crappy black rubber O-rings). Fixed the leak and replaced the drier -- since I didn't know how long it'd been empty. It makes and keeps pressure.

I'm tried the fan ground test (blue/green wire to ground) and the difference was hardly noticeable from having the thing unplugged entirely. However I think its fine. I don't have a scanner, so I'm really flying blind.

Other ideas I had was possibly a caked up evaporator? I'm not exactly itching to get in there to see if there's any problem in the air box though yet till I explore some other options. I think there may be a sensor in the air box but I've not confirmed that yet.

It's been a long time since the last post on this thread, but I imagine a few people are going to be running into this as it is getting warmer this time of year.

2004 F350 6.0 -- First Powerstroke as of 2018
post #8 of 17 Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
This opinion is just from basic ac, so take it for what it’s worth. Put a set of manifold gauges and see what the pressures are. If you don’t have a set, you can get a can of Freon from Walmart and the cheesy gauge will give you an idea of your refrigerant level. If you’re idling, pop the hood and see if the compressor clutch is engaged or cycling. That will also tell you if you’re low. Ac cold while driving and not at a stop is typically indicative of an air flow problem if everything else is up to snuff. You need air moving over/through the condenser whether it’s from the fan or from driving. If Freon charge is good, and fan working properly, then we need to go a bit deeper.

Edit: when I had my truck studded the ac wasn’t always cold. Sometimes it would just stop blowing cold air. I checked the Freon, and the shop had overcharged the system. After I put it where it needed to be, it’s working fine.

Last edited by Jjorgis5569; 06-07-2019 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Info
post #9 of 17 Old 06-07-2019, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, I cant post links yet but I did post a video to youtube of what is going on on my rig.

the address is : watch?v=csS-byYjLeE after the slash @ youtube.

I cant see any obvious fan operation issue but I may be wrong, would love a second opinion

2004 F350 6.0 -- First Powerstroke as of 2018
post #10 of 17 Old 06-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,039 Times in 968 Posts
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here's your link.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode