Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
***NEW INFO on Mercon SP vs LV***

I was just at the Ford dealership grabbing some tranny fluid from my buddy that works the parts dept. Mercon SP is back, and will be stocked for quite a long time now. (Previously they had depleted their stock, as Ford notified them the LV fluid superseded and replaced the SP.) He showed me an internal memo, where Ford has discovered the LV fluid is NOT compatible will all 6 speed transmissions, and adversely affects the clutch packs resulting in them being destroyed. The 5 speed automatics are not affected. The facts of the matter are as follows:
1. Any 6 speed transmission that was serviced with LV, will probably suffer complete failure.
2. Transmissions that were flushed at the dealership using LV fluid will suffer failure earlier than transmissions where LV was used to top off the transmission.
3. Ford has already replaced several transmissions following service with LV fluid, however they ARE NOT going out of their way to notify consumers who received such service.

To say the least, I am quite disappointed Ford is not being proactive on addressing this error. I know I've ran across several threads where people have had their transmissions suffer failure after a complete flushing, and now it appears the cause in many may be in fact the LV fluid that was used. If you are one of these people, I suggest you gather your receipt for the flush or service you had and follow up with Ford. I inquired with my buddy as to mine; If this had happened to me, what would be the response on a tranny with 175,000 miles....he said they would be obligated to replace it with a new transmission.

Any Ford parts guys on the forum wish to contribute any info on this? I see another legal issue developing if Ford doesn't jump in more on addressing the issue immediately.

The memo did state that all Ford dealership parts departments will be receiving the SP fluid as a normally stocked item now, and to disregard the earlier notice about LV superseding it as a compatible fluid. Mt buddy said they have been told that all 6 speeds should use the SP fluid to be safe, although a few used clutch packs that are compatible with the LV. I don't have the info on which serial numbers are the lucky ones, and I got the feeling they weren't completely sure either. Apparently only Ford knows.

Damn...here we go again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Powerstrokinva
Glad I still had enough SP laying around when I flushed mine!
post #3 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am confused by this:
where Ford has discovered the LV fluid is NOT compatible will all 6 speed transmissions, and adversely affects the clutch packs resulting in them being destroyed. The 5 speed automatics are not affected

So, the only automatic in the 6.0 is the 5R which is a 5 speed transmission (6 speed technically, but marketed as a 5 speed) Is this the 5R automatic that is being damaged? Sorry if I misread or missed something in the post its been a LONG day for me so far lol

Reason I ask is my Job 1 08 has basically a 6.0 5R in it and I had it serviced back in September and I don;t know if they used LV or SP. I will have to check and find out as my truck has had some funny shifts occur in the last few months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm assuming from my conversation with my buddy the 5 speeds the memo refers to are the earlier 5 speed trannies and not the ones the Powerstrokes are known for that are in effect a 6 speed. (Different clutch packs maybe???) This is going to be a problem, as apparently the later model 6.0's used a 5R that had different clutch packs and run the LV okay with no problem. But identifying which ones sounds like it could be an issue. (Maybe 07+, but at what point did the changeover occur I wonder?) My local Ford dealer is sticking to the safe side, i.e. All 6.0's with a 5R now get Mercon SP.

Something tells me either Ford is being rather quiet about this to avoid replacing a bunch of trannies, or they are at the beginning of figuring out the issue and will issue a tech bulletin soon. Meanwhile, it's back to SP fluid and they are receiving new stock.
post #5 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cool. I will contact the dealer that did my service and see what fluid they used. Thanks for the follow up! Hopefully I can get a new transmission! 185K then get a new one I can hope......
post #6 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

This sucks! I have done 3 flushes with lv and I've noticed weird shifts sometimes. Also a lot of material on magnet. Thanks for info Sir.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F-250 Lariat FX4 CCSB
BPD EGR Cooler
BPD Oil with cold Weather
Amsoil Bypass
Baldwin Coolant Bypass
Insight 1st version
SCT Matt's 8000 tow
Gryphon on Atlas 40
Banks Technicooler
Silverline 4'' turbo back
Updated ford parts
Arp's at 126,000
post #7 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The only thing I know for sure is my direct clutch is shot at 95k miles with 2 LV fluid changes on a stock truck. Honestly if I wasn't doing trannies for years and had a surplus of warranty paid LV I never would have put it in my transmission.

The fact is SP never went away and the only trans I'm familar with that said it was okay to switch from SP to LV is the torqshift 5R110. There are only several trannies that use SP still, the only one I know offhand is the 6R60.

-Matt

Ford Senior Master Tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 F-250 XLT 6.7L

2006 F-250 6.0L SOLD
post #8 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, Ford wanted to save some cash by standardizing the ATF fluids....fewer types to keep on hand and cheaper to keep the inventory up. Probably the same reason they installed Ford Gold coolant on the new trucks. Seems like another money saving thing has come back to bite them. It'll be interesting to see what their response will be once they officially figure out the specifics. But for now, for example, the dealer has officially told me they would NOT service my '06 F-350 with anything but SP fluid, as I would have transmission damage as a result. After talking with my buddy and buying a case of SP, I went down to the service dept and played dumb......asked them how much to service my tranny with a flush. I said, "I'm hoping I can save some money on it with the newer LV fluid that costs less." The guy told me he was sorry, that's not an option on my particular transmission. It would damage it. The reality is I would never let the dealer touch my truck!
post #9 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Haha I don't blame you honestly. I think we've discussed this in the past.
post #10 of 217 Old 06-24-2013, 03:48 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,749 Posts
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Not going to sweat it yet

no disrespect but this is one persons account of this situation

the heated flush machine was used on mine with LV ( i asked ) at 60k that was 32 k ago with no issue

I also have dropped the pan and added 14 qts of LV with my new deep pan
no issues

Valvoline still sells their trans fluid that is LV /SP Mercon approved
so ??

the specs for LV and SP looked very close at a lance so I wonder what ingredient in LV would be so harmful ??

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode