Tire Blow Out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tire Blow Out

I'm currently get deployed right now and get a message from my wife who was driving back home from visiting family over the weekend to call her. I had a feeling that something happened and call her right away. She's freaking out and a nervous wreck because my front passenger side tire had a blow out and messed up the quarter panel a little bit - she thought I would be mad at her because I always joke about it. She was driving down the interstate at 70 mph with our dog in the back when it blew out and managed to keep the truck on the other 3 tires and get it off to the side safely without hurting her, the dog, or anyone else on the road. Not really sure how she managed to not flip or wreck, but I give her a lot of props and exteremly glad no one got hurt. Guess it's time for 4 new tires before this happens again. Here's some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire1.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	117337   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2.jpg
Views:	4183
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	117345   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire3.jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	117361  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yep. That metal can be fixed. Flesh is a lot harder. Glad she's ok.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with Tulsa. Give her props for staying cool and getting it to the side. Body work is much easier to live with versus surgery or worse.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

No doubt.. She could've totaled the truck - as long as she's ok, I'm ok with it.. I did tell her this morning when I talked to her that she missed a spot when she cleaned it on Sunday Luckily she's a good sport about it
post #5 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ive had those same tires on my work truck and have lost a few.

BPD OIL COOLER W/COLD WEATHER PACK & BPD oil bypass amsiol filter
BPD WATER PUMP, RADIATOR+ EGR.ARP STUDS
,edge turbo timer
5" TB DIAMOND EYE EXH
ATLAS 40
TITLE IN HAND...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Ive had those same tires on my work truck and have lost a few.
I've only had them for about 30-40,000 miles, so I'm not too impressed with them. Granted they are outside in the sun most of the day and probably dry rotted a little bit with sitting a good majority last year and this year while deployed, but still seems to have gone rather quickly. The tread was still decent on them and that's where it blew out on her, so I won't be going back with those.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are those the BFG all terrain?
post #8 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Fan1 View Post
Are those the BFG all terrain?
Yes - BFG Rugged Trail, but it is an AT tire
post #9 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Banned

Might want to check the DOT manufacture date on the tire. Local tire guy I know said the compounds used in tires have changed over the past decade (i.e.: Environmentalists I suspect, forcing changes in composition?) and any tire more than 3 years old can be considered questionable. This really pisses me off, as my boat trailer tires are at 90% tread and going on 6 years old. The point the local tire guy had...was when buying new tires, always look at the manufacture date on the tires they are selling you. On every tire, followed by the letters DOT, and do not accept anything more than 3 months old. He is anticipating in a few more years, they will be required to have expiration dates on tires.....as many are blowing out, people don't understand about the new compositions, and it's becoming a safety issue. I doubt your wife damaged the sidewall or hit anything, or overloaded the truck. Nothing can be done on these newer tires to 'foresee' when this will happen. If you are deployed and she needs to go get tires, have her ask the tire shop to show her the date code on the tires. They will be amazed she knows her stuff and won't mess with her
post #10 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdezs View Post
Might want to check the DOT manufacture date on the tire. Local tire guy I know said the compounds used in tires have changed over the past decade (i.e.: Environmentalists I suspect, forcing changes in composition?) and any tire more than 3 years old can be considered questionable. This really pisses me off, as my boat trailer tires are at 90% tread and going on 6 years old. The point the local tire guy had...was when buying new tires, always look at the manufacture date on the tires they are selling you. On every tire, followed by the letters DOT, and do not accept anything more than 3 months old. He is anticipating in a few more years, they will be required to have expiration dates on tires.....as many are blowing out, people don't understand about the new compositions, and it's becoming a safety issue. I doubt your wife damaged the sidewall or hit anything, or overloaded the truck. Nothing can be done on these newer tires to 'foresee' when this will happen. If you are deployed and she needs to go get tires, have her ask the tire shop to show her the date code on the tires. They will be amazed she knows her stuff and won't mess with her
Thank you for that information - I did not know that. They are roughly 4 years old (or been on the truck that long at least) with maybe 40,000 miles top. I called BF Goodrich and opened a claim with them, so we'll see what they say after Sears inspects the tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode