New HFCM manifold question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New HFCM manifold question

So I couldn't get my drain plug out for anything and ended up destroying my HFCM manifold in the process. I left for deployment for 6 months and the wife is having to do the work (luckily she is somewhat handy with tools ). She bought a new manifold and it only comes with one electrical connector - the old one had 2. The only one the new one comes with is the WIF sensor connector. She had to get another connector that is suppose to fix it, but since I'm not there I have no idea how to connect the new one! Has anyone done this before and know how it works? I'm just trying to figure it out before she tries to install it all to help her out a bit. Ford said they changed the part and thats why it is the way it is now. Any help or knowledge would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All 2003 to 2005 model years used a fuel heater that was later determined to be unnecessary by some higher ups with Ford. Corrosion and crud buildup inside the HFCM caused by the chemical reaction of heater didn't help matters either. So, from 2006 onto 2007, the fuel heater was deleted. The replacement harness only comes with two wiring pigtails that plug into the fuel pump and WIF sensor to replace the existing one on your truck that has three. May I suggest you add part number 6E7Z-9C082-A to your shopping list? This would be a knurled knob style water separator drain that will install in place of your existing one that requires a 6mm allen key to remove. And once inistalled, I suggest you get into the habit of draining the water separator at least once a week, to prevent a repeat issue of what led to your purchase in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech who placed 2nd overall in Ontario on the Fix-It-Right-First-Visit score for 2010

....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff

....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies

....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
All 2003 to 2005 model years used a fuel heater that was later determined to be unnecessary by some higher ups with Ford. Corrosion and crud buildup inside the HFCM caused by the chemical reaction of heater didn't help matters either. So, from 2006 onto 2007, the fuel heater was deleted. The replacement harness only comes with two wiring pigtails that plug into the fuel pump and WIF sensor to replace the existing one on your truck that has three. May I suggest you add part number 6E7Z-9C082-A to your shopping list? This would be a knurled knob style water separator drain that will install in place of your existing one that requires a 6mm allen key to remove. And once inistalled, I suggest you get into the habit of draining the water separator at least once a week, to prevent a repeat issue of what led to your purchase in the first place.
Ok, so I currently have connectors on both sides of the manifold that are part of the trucks wiring harness that are attached to the frame. Would that new pig tail plug into them and then into the WIF as well? Hope that makes since.. and I have the new drain plug as thats what I was attempting to do when I f'ed it up. I instructed her to remove the factory plug and put the new one in before it even went on the truck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow89 View Post
Ok, so I currently have connectors on both sides of the manifold that are part of the trucks wiring harness that are attached to the frame. Would that new pig tail plug into them and then into the WIF as well? Hope that makes since.. and I have the new drain plug as thats what I was attempting to do when I f'ed it up. I instructed her to remove the factory plug and put the new one in before it even went on the truck..
That is correct. Assuming the new harness purchased is part number 6C3Z-9F759-A, that is the correct part you need. To make life easier, may I suggest you remove the entire HFCM from the vehicle and change it outside? Since you do need to disconnect the four fuel lines from the manifold anyways, it's only three 13 mm nuts on the outer side of the framerail is all that's needed for you to remove it outright. And you don't need to even touch the front driveshaft to remove the whole HFCM. Once the nuts are removed, simply finesse the whole assembly forward until you can fit it through opening under the frame. Working with the unit out of the vehicle is MUCH easier than trying to struggle with it underneath the truck. And once removed, it will be self-evident how the new harness installs in place of the old harness. It is literally plug and play.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech who placed 2nd overall in Ontario on the Fix-It-Right-First-Visit score for 2010

....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff

....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies

....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
That is correct. Assuming the new harness purchased is part number 6C3Z-9F759-A, that is the correct part you need. To make life easier, may I suggest you remove the entire HFCM from the vehicle and change it outside? Since you do need to disconnect the four fuel lines from the manifold anyways, it's only three 13 mm nuts on the outer side of the framerail is all that's needed for you to remove it outright. And you don't need to even touch the front driveshaft to remove the whole HFCM. Once the nuts are removed, simply finesse the whole assembly forward until you can fit it through opening under the frame. Working with the unit out of the vehicle is MUCH easier than trying to struggle with it underneath the truck. And once removed, it will be self-evident how the new harness installs in place of the old harness. It is literally plug and play.
Got it off already.. I took it off to make it easier to try and remove the old plug. Thats why I messed it up so bad because I used just about every tool imaginable to try and get the plug out and still couldn't get it. And that is the plug she picked up.. Thanks for the input - I figured thats how it would go, but they were telling her it would have to hook into the fuel filter housing somehow and it just didn't make since..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode