Fixing the 3-5 "Shift Flare" - Page 16 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 159 Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have some time with my truck after replacing the direct drive solenoid and the EPC solenoid. There was some improvement with shifts but I still have the 3 to 5 shift flare. My maintenance on the transmission has een every 30000 miles. Drain about 10 quarts and all has been well. I even updated to the 08 pan and filter. Along with updating the plastic plug to the metal plug.
I've had the same tuning from innovative diesel back when I got it in 2007. I've always use their street tuning. My truck now has 150,000 miles.
mhatlen likes this.

13Q Trans Fluid Flush
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FICM Testing Videos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Beach Bum

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
I have some time with my truck after replacing the direct drive solenoid and the EPC solenoid. There was some improvement with shifts but I still have the 3 to 5 shift flare. My maintenance on the transmission has een every 30000 miles. Drain about 10 quarts and all has been well. I even updated to the 08 pan and filter. Along with updating the plastic plug to the metal plug.
I've had the same tuning from innovative diesel back when I got it in 2007. I've always use their street tuning. My truck now has 150,000 miles.
long story short, no fix.

so since I last posted in this. sold the truck that was mentined years ago some post up. ended up with another 6oh but a 06 this time. last year I developed the shift flair while tuned, got worse over time that it even did it in stock. learned to just be easy on the shifts till I got to 6th. well then it started to get worse and then randomly drop gears while driving and slow delays into drive or reverse. dropped the pan to change fluid and filters and it was all glittery. new oil I think made it worse cause it was clean. finally got the death code of the flashing tow haul light. drove like that for a few more months till I got funds and dropped in a new ford reman trans.

problem soved.

what I'm getting at is youre basically fked. save up for a new trans. the shift flair is the clutches for the 3 5 shift is basically gone or about to be gone. then its just down hill after that. In my case I just pushed it till near unusable driving. ford did the job so its all under warranty and lines flushed n ****.

5k later.... lol

best I figured the solenoids got jammed from the clutch glitter and didn't allow it to shift or drop gears.

2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
2004 Jetta TDI
LSP Chapter Director

LSP Group Threads

post #153 of 159 Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Garage
I have been very pro-active on the transmission fluid myself. But I take truck to Ford and let them hot flush it. I also upgraded to the 2008 pan and filter assembly.

I need to set up my Edge CS2 monitor to see the transmission gears that its in. Because I can feel my transmission shift through all 6 gears regardless of being told they only use 5 gears in the transmission. I will say that the 65 HP Tow Tune that PHP wrote up for my truck is as good as it gets. They spread out the shift points where it scoots down the road as if it was on the 33" tires the truck came with.

The hot flush is $249.00 but its pretty relative as far as cost goes because it beats the hell out of $5,000.00 for a new transmission. Plus I never liked the fact there was always oil in the torque converter and cooler lines that was dirty and beat down and still in my transmission for God knows how much longer. I've had people tell me I'm going to lunch the transmission by doing the hot flushes by knocking pixie dust loose and it was going to take out the transmission.
Not a concern of any kind, now if you have 200,000 miles on a transmission and its never been serviced you may be heading for trouble. But I have my doubts there too because its all pushed right out of the transmission and not into the pan.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3 CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4 Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4 SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 159 Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 AM

It's concerning that this was it avoidable with very healthy maintenance, +the right upgrades. Where is the real issue?

13Q Trans Fluid Flush

FICM Testing Videos
post #155 of 159 Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,069 Times in 998 Posts
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Garage
@mhatlen you should only actually "feel" 4 shifts, 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, 5-6. You start off in first, so you don't "feel" that one, unless you are counting pulling it out of Park. You can probably also feel converter lock which could be seen as another shift, but if you're "feeling" 6 shifts, you have a unicorn transmission. LOL

Ford 5R110W TorqShift Transmission Specs & Ratios

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #156 of 159 Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
I always thought I felt 6 too but my CTS2 says what I'm feeling is the converter lock in 5th

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
mhatlen likes this.

2004 F250 CCSB 4X4
4" Skyjacker lift
3:73 gears
35x12.5x18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Method MR309 wheels
KDD heads, ARP studs, BD exhaust manifolds, DieselSite up pipes, Mishimoto degas bottle
PHP Insight PRO
PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune
post #157 of 159 Old 09-20-2017, 10:43 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
@mhatlen you should only actually "feel" 4 shifts, 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, 5-6. You start off in first, so you don't "feel" that one, unless you are counting pulling it out of Park. You can probably also feel converter lock which could be seen as another shift, but if you're "feeling" 6 shifts, you have a unicorn transmission. LOL

Ford 5R110W TorqShift Transmission Specs & Ratios
Right I know that's all I should be feeling on the shifts but I swear that I feel it shifting from 1st gear all the way to 6th gear.
What I must be feeling up high is the torque converter locking. But rpm's drop around 400-500 lower rpm's. Which is likely the last thump I'm hearing.

I will say our trucks have a nice transmission and the SCT X4 gives options on the firmness of each gear change. Good ole electronics and computers married to the transmission and engine and that changed everything. A fabulous combo for sure

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3 CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4 Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4 SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
post #158 of 159 Old 09-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Beach Bum

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I have been very pro-active on the transmission fluid myself. But I take truck to Ford and let them hot flush it. I also upgraded to the 2008 pan and filter assembly.

I need to set up my Edge CS2 monitor to see the transmission gears that its in. Because I can feel my transmission shift through all 6 gears regardless of being told they only use 5 gears in the transmission. I will say that the 65 HP Tow Tune that PHP wrote up for my truck is as good as it gets. They spread out the shift points where it scoots down the road as if it was on the 33" tires the truck came with.

The hot flush is $249.00 but its pretty relative as far as cost goes because it beats the hell out of $5,000.00 for a new transmission. Plus I never liked the fact there was always oil in the torque converter and cooler lines that was dirty and beat down and still in my transmission for God knows how much longer. I've had people tell me I'm going to lunch the transmission by doing the hot flushes by knocking pixie dust loose and it was going to take out the transmission.
Not a concern of any kind, now if you have 200,000 miles on a transmission and its never been serviced you may be heading for trouble. But I have my doubts there too because its all pushed right out of the transmission and not into the pan.
Mine used to be a oilfield fleet truck for some engineering firm in Houston Texas. So that will explain why I'm noe on my third trans for this truck with right now 250k.

And in the past I just did the standard trans oil change for like 150 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
It's concerning that this was it avoidable with very healthy maintenance, +the right upgrades. Where is the real issue?
They die when ever due to your driving style no matter how the maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
I always thought I felt 6 too but my CTS2 says what I'm feeling is the converter lock in 5th

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It's 1 2 3 4/5 6. There's 2 4th gears so that's why it's called a 6 speed auto. One 4th is used for warm ups if you didn't already know that. The other 4th for warmer oil.
mhatlen likes this.

2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
2004 Jetta TDI
LSP Chapter Director

LSP Group Threads

post #159 of 159 Old 09-29-2017, 02:47 PM

any more updates? What should I tell my cousin tuner?

13Q Trans Fluid Flush

FICM Testing Videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode