Electric fan for more power and mpg - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am not sure about the roll the PCM plays on the fan, but I do know that I had mine unhooked without throwing the CEL.

One thing I will say is that I do not see that fan drawing over 5 or 10 hp even with it's size. Not saying I am an expert, just my theory.

With that said, there are other benefits to consider such as faster warm ups. An electric fan running on a thermostatic switch could help with this.

As mentioned above, a good electric fan setup could help focus more airflow through the IC and radiator.

'05 f350 CC SRW LB lariat 150k Miles
Fighting with local dealer for Oasis... Cal Worthlesston
ēEGR delete
ē6" lift
ēSCT (looney tune)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im digging the feedback guys. Look forward to seeing some setups

2005 F250 SCSB XLT 4X4- Studded-EGR Delete-OEM HEAD GASKETS(black onyx failed)-Oil Cooler Rebuild-HPOP fitting-6.4 Banjos-Blue Fuel Pressure Spring-MBRP 4"-Innovative Tunes-Viper Remote Start-BFG 35s-2.5" Leveling Kit-- 13.9 @ 95mph on x-street, x-race should be good for ~13.6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Coming from my experience in the performance world...especially with the LS based Trailblazer SS...this has the potential for SUBSTANTIAL gains! This is one of the most popular bolt-ons in the TBSS world. We adapt stock LS1 fans out of a Camaro/Firebird and it is not uncommon to see 20-30rwhp in that application and as much as 2-3mpg increase!!!

That being said, it does take a patch in the computer on the TBSS for the fans to communicate with the thermostat and function as normal. Not sure how the Powerstroke PCM controls the fan, but if it does, it's as simple as one of the tuners developing a patch and a relay/wiring kit.

Subscribing!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Rig:
Sold, September of 2011
2008 F-350 King Ranch CC/SB
AFE Intake
305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Older Rig:
Sold, December of 2009
99.5 F-250 Lariat SC SB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Subscribed!!! Can't wait for the write up.

Matt | 2006 F250 XL FX4 6.0L 485RWHP and 968RWlbs-ft
Vision Diesel Performance503-487-6074

BULLET PROOF DIESEL 1-888-967-6653
TWISTED TRANSMISSION Contact me for a quote on a trans with the best warranty in the business.

post #15 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

WRITE UP WRITE UP WRITE UP! Please!

2004 f250 PSD crew cab lariant
4" turbo back exhaust
ARP studs
Sinister coolant filter
egr delete still in box
scangauge II
Cat ELC
Amsoil 5w-40
SCT tuned by Vivian

post #16 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
subscribed
post #17 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Will be interesting to see if any electrics can provide enough flow to match the stock fan. My friend on his Cummins went electric and two fans couldnt keep up with the cooling demends towing heavy in summer and on really hot days didnt stand a chance. He went back to the stock fan since it moved over double the air flow at full clutch lock vs the electrics which i believe were 7k cfm combined.

I planned to go electric on mine until he had the cooling problems on his truck. Empty it was never an issue even on the hottest days with the a/c full on.

Jason

post #18 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have heard that the stock fan can move 12,000 cfm.
I don't think the electric will even come close.

2007 6.0 PSD,F350 4X4 Lariat,CC, DRW,9' Knapheide body, stainless steel lader rack, SCT with custom tunes, ARP's, EGR delete, ITP RR, Airdog II 130/75, Garrett Powermax, Banks turbo back, Firestone air bags, Autometer gauges

post #19 of 49 Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0powerstrokeboosting View Post
anyways here is what im going to use for my setup. Flex-a-Lite 272 Ford Super Duty Diesel Fan with Variable Speed

If anyone has any questions Just let me know
The 272 is for a 99-03, is there one for the 6.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by work&play View Post
I have heard that the stock fan can move 12,000 cfm.
I don't think the electric will even come close.
Yea the 272 only moves 6200 cfm, so it wouldn't do the job at all..

MASON
2005 F350 SCSB
4" MBRP TBE
Edge Insight CS
Dieselsite coolant filter
PHP FICM hybrid flash
Sinister EGR delete
Upgraded FPR spring
SCT tuned by Gearhead

post #20 of 49 Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 AM
RIP Mitch ! We miss you

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
hey guys,
thought i would put some light on some of your questions. Ill start with the horsepower gains from it. Your not only gaining horse power from removing the belt driven fans, but your also going to see gains in the fact that the fan will be pulling air through the intercooler which will cool off the air which as most of you know will condense the air even more. One of the biggest things when looking for electric fans for diesels is one that push's enough air due to the fact that the radiator and intercooler on a diesel is larger than the average setup. I personally dont know how effective it is, however i have ordered an electric fan setup for my truck and i will do a writeup on it and see if I can get the local college to let me use the dyno since I was a student there anyways here is what im going to use for my setup. Flex-a-Lite 272 Ford Super Duty Diesel Fan with Variable Speed

If anyone has any questions Just let me know
Looking at that fan setup one thing screams out at me. OBSTRUCTION! I think in 3 years my fan has kicked on 1 time. The rest of the time the air being pushed through the radiator has been enough to keep it cool. That shroud looks like it covers close to half the area of the radiator with closed shroud that would seriously impede the airflow causing the temperature to rise requiring the fans to kick in and cool things down. I am all for electric fans but I don't think the solution in the link you provided is the way to go.

Quote:
The PCM does. however disconnecting it shouldnt do anything, like throw codes or interfere with anything with the truck that would be vital. Its only a signal from the ecu when a Targeted area of tempterature is hit. The only thing its going to do is send a signal to the fan that isnt there. the PCM probably wont even notice a difference. And with bigger fans that are electric you could set the thermostat which would keep the engine cooler and would probably never reach the targeted temp to activate the stock fan anyways. Not 100% sure but ill look into it and include it in my writeup.
All you have to do is set the fan on temp higher in you tune to keep the PCM from trying to kick on the clutch fan. Then you can let something like a Spal controller take over the job of running the fan. This is what I do with my track car.

RIP Mitch

the Org crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electric fan 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode