Catalina Wine Mixer Ě or how a below-average diesel mechanic poser can successfully p - Page 13 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 139 Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Mechanic Poser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi Mitch, since youíve asked:
Ill say it was running like a sewing machine. Driving was a joy and I couldnít have a care in the world. Then last fall I developed a mysterious coolant leak. I was beginning to get paranoid that I had a cracked head after the hot tune and Powermax (Im pretty sure I oversped the stock turbo and developed the classic oil smoke and drips from the down pipe). I also noticed some evidence of intermittent coolant puking and the ever-so-slight haze and smell of coolant in the exhaust. So after extensive searching with a flashlight and mirror, 1x 2nd degree burn, and probably some permanent hearing loss, I was able to determine it was coming from the high rear of the pax side head. I broke the top end down again last November and found the Black Onyx gasket deteriorated and leaking. A very time consuming lesson learned there. And it certainly could have been worse for me.

When I was assembling my parts list, the Black Onyx gaskets had about 20:1 good to bad reviews. Back then, those were acceptable odds for me. But whoís to say if it was my lead foot or the product quality that caused it because there are lots of folks still running them. I do have the strong opinion that a 3-year product life clamped by ARP and only 30psi is completely unacceptable regardless of where they come from. I havenít done the math but I would estimate about 15k miles on the build. (Low miles from frequent motorcycle and carpool commuting) Black Onyx out, Ford OEM in! Just over 3k on this job and holding strong! About 12k to go for a valid comparison. Cheers!
john galt likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dalai Lama View Post
"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better 6.0"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 139 Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Stumbled on this thread today. Really enjoyed the read and lots of great info.
john galt likes this.

'05 Excursion. Studs, EGR Delete, KC 1.5, IPR oil cooler relocation, Livewire & some tunes.
post #123 of 139 Old 06-14-2016, 12:41 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 446 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
read through this a couple years ago great info well presented.
helps keep your head set in a positive perspective on a job that can get overwhelming if you allow it to.
just resurfaced yesterday and i will re-bump again as much of the info here is timeless.
only thing I would warn against and that has already been done is the black onyx gaskets
they started off touted as the next go to thing in the line of 6.0 hg defense and failed miserably.

one thing i take away from this thread the second time around is attitude is everything whien tackling something like this
well that and preparation neither can be over stated
ok carry on
Lumberg likes this.

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 139 Old 06-19-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Mechanic Poser

seijirou, john galt,
Thanks for dusting this thread off. Im glad to hear you enjoyed it. I had nearly as much fun writing it as I did wrenching. BTW, Ford OEM head gaskets in and still running strong.
Cheers!
john galt likes this.

Quote:
"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better 6.0"
post #125 of 139 Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 PM
AMERICA!

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Holy crap, this thread has been revisited and @Lumberg is still around...

I remember when this thread was first started and always enjoyed the info and the way Lumberg presented it.
poorboy1964 and john galt like this.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, TSD tunes, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CTS, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights, Xenon-Vision 5k HIDs, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
post #126 of 139 Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 446 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
@Lumberg
you have a gift. if you ever get tired of being a diesel mechanic poser
you could well have a career as the next Dave Barry
thanks for the unmuddied perspective and style of presentation.
sort of a whistle while you work for diesel mechanic posers
Rattlesnake18 likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #127 of 139 Old 06-25-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Mechanic Poser

Cheers, brothers!!

Quote:
post #128 of 139 Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberg View Post
C) Glow plug wiring harness tool. Make yourself a tool out of a thrift store knife. Drill a 25/64 hole (0.40 is the right measurement) near the bottom of the blade of a stout table knife. Cut it to make a ‘U’ shape to grab the glow plug stopper out of the engine. It works great and you only break half of them. Use a drill press and clamps for safety while making it.
@Lumberg
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I just want to throw a thanks to Lumberg for this fantastic tip. I had to remove some glow plugs, and I hadn't been planning on removing them (hydrolock!), and I built a nice little tool with a kitchen knife, and just like Lumberg said - I only broke half of them! And just like I was told - reusing the broken harness will leak oil.
post #129 of 139 Old 12-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Lumberg I get to join that exclusive club of people that get to do head gaskets TWICE. Chock up another loss to Black Onyx. Not sure if I'll do a write up though. I'll have a good few days off work over the next couple weeks so I may just hammer down and git-r-dun rather than spending the extra time to document everything. Maybe I should though, last time I slammed this pig together so quick that I could barely move for a week afterward (did the coolant flush on Friday and worked all weekend and had her running Sunday afternoon). This time I do not have the luxury of having a spare set of heads on hand that are already checked and decked, so that's gonna kill 2-3 days at the machine shop while I sit in the garage with my thumb up my a....turbo drain tube. Gonna be using some of your tid-bits like the dollar store butter knife, it was a 2-pack so if I dicker the first one up, I can do it again. I probably will do it again, seems to be my thing lately...head gaskets, turbo, why not the harness tool? F*$& it, let's get weird. The BS, er, BO gaskets lasted me about 25k. 90k on the clock right now and the last time I did them was around 60-65k.
john galt likes this.
post #130 of 139 Old 12-17-2016, 11:47 PM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Garage
That stinks there bud. I would think about o-ringing those heads if I was you.
john galt likes this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3Ē CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4Ē Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4Ē SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
arp studs , egr delete , elc , head gasket , oil cooler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode