Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What did you do to your 6.0 today?

5M views 66K replies 2K participants last post by  Spikeophant 
#1 ·
Seems Im always doing some sort of project to my 6.0. Post what you have done to make your 6.0 better. Also post any pics if you got them!!
:icon_ford:

#65,841 ·
replaced the pathetic tiny OE wiper blades - drivers side is now 26” and passenger side is now 24”

What a difference! The whole windshield gets wiped now !!
I didn’t measure the OE blades but they must’ve been 22” or less. In picture you can see the old blade size vs new 24” View attachment 802251

I put high end 26 inch Bosch on this summer and were great till winter and just replaced with 22 inch Rain X platinum and they are far superior imho. I'm 6'2" and find I get plenty of clean windshield to see through.

Longer blades lift up easier at highway speeds and leave lot's of streaks so the 22s are just fine for me.

#65,842 ·
I put high end 26 inch Bosch on this summer and were great till winter and just replaced with 22 inch Rain X platinum and they are far superior imho. I'm 6'2" and find I get plenty of clean windshield to see through.

Longer blades lift up easier at highway speeds and leave lot's of streaks so the 22s are just fine for me.
My personal experience with the oe size blades wasn’t good (they were new, Michelin brand) I don’t/wont really drive the truck in wintry conditions so I’m hoping my 26”/24” combo works out well for me

#65,843 ·
My personal experience with the oe size blades wasn’t good (they were new, Michelin brand) I don’t/wont really drive the truck in wintry conditions so I’m hoping my 26”/24” combo works out well for me
See how good they work when going 70-75mph with a good crosswind and report back. I think a longer blade reduces the overall force it's pressed against the glass reducing it's ability to do clean wipes at speeds, but just my experience.

#65,847 ·
Man the stock size ones lift on me at freeway speeds, really sucks out on I84 in north easter Oregon, always a strong crosswind, and it rains a lot, sucks out there with a trailer going 15 under just so I can see.

Go buy a 22" Rain X platinum and put it on your side and give it a go. It's the best one I've found so far and I've tried 3 brands now.

#65,848 ·
The last test completed by Project Farm.

I never go above 22", and during the winter, when there can be more strain on the wiper motor, I stay with 20".

One thing I did when I used to drive a lot during the winter months, somewhat skewed by retirement, and Jersey does not get the snow it used to, was the installation of heated wiper blades during the winter. Due to their cost, they were an item I installed only when needed.

I did put a photo album on my old Facebook pages when I was only doing pictorials long ago. Each image has a narrative. I set up my own wires using old-style phone cords and using two of the four wires for positive and negative, as I only bought the blades, not the kit.

I don't think Blizzard Blades is still in business, but there are many sources. The first time I encountered heated wiper blades was with class 8 trucks during my testing career. Normally, we would never take the test vehicles out during rain or snow conditions, but the truck was not under test, and we were stuck with nothing to do. It had a sleeper cab, so it was a team test, except for my secretary. :ROFLMAO:

Turned off, the blades would load up, turned on at over 200ºƒ, and there was no snow buildup.

On the dash is the heads-up display for one of our data acquisition units. I would use to test a lot of things on my personal truck.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

#65,850 · (Edited)
I did the S&B silicone mounts in my truck last summer, made a big difference. My mounts were shot at 340k miles.

Well....We replaced all 6 body mounts and what a difference it made. My mechanic told me that not only were they damaged, 3 of them were missing!!! That engine miss that developed turned out to be a failed injector (#3), so I replaced all 4 of them on that side. Now it runs great for having 301K miles.........

next project, for me to try, is to replace the plastic chrome front grill since mine is bubbling and the chrome is peeling off!! is it easy to do?

#65,852 ·
The field rescue got another tiny adjustment to the steering box, a steering damper, and new yellow LED fog light bulbs on Saturday.

Getting to the bottom of the list of "to-do's" for my 2003 field rescue F250. Gotta come up with a good name for her. Been working on a slight amount of 'wander' on the highway. I know a new steering box is probably in the not too distant future, but I have been trying to massage as much as I can out of it. Had the complete front end checked by a known good alignment guy, and other than needing to replace the right front wheel bearing hub, all was good. Getting rid of the dry rotted tires and replacing with new also made a big difference. Steering box had a fair amount of play in it so I adjusted that. Those changes made a pretty substantial difference in how she drove. It did not have a front steering stabilizer, so I bought a cheap one off of Rockauto as a test that came with the mount. While I was installing that I gave the steering box another 1/4 turn. Big difference. The front end feels great now and is probably the best it will be for a leaf spring suspension.

Had one of the bulbs burnt out in the fog lights, so I replaced them with yellow LEDs. Huge improvement in that area too.

I plan on replacing the Yellow Monroe shocks that are who knows how old with a set of 4600 Bilsteins, but that will have to wait a bit until the budget allows. The shocks are not in bad shape, I am just a sucker for quality suspensions since I make my living tuning motorcycle suspensions.

All in all the field rescue is running like a new truck. As she should be with a completely rebuilt motor. One of the biggest battles is resisting the urge to put a tune in her. The older I get the more I like to keep things relatively stock other than what is needed for reliability. I do not need any more power out of her (notice I said need, not want, lol). The big test will be a 1600 mile round trip from Boise to Lake Havasu, AZ here in a couple of weeks pulling a 5k pound trailer with the off road car on it to escape the cold and play in the desert for a week. Been driving it every day to try and accumulate as many 'break in' miles as I can before the trip to fully shake her down and flush out as many potential failure points as I can. So far, so good. Next weekend I will do another full oil and filter service on her so she is running on fresh synthetic and filters.

#65,853 ·
Black Automotive tire Sculpture Font Automotive wheel system

I touched the no-no bolts.....

• Haha
Reactions: jokester00
#65,855 ·
#65,856 ·
And how did you tighten them?

Curious as I've been working on a video for this for about a year. Life gets in the way....

Reactions: jokester00
#65,858 ·
What torque? - just gathering. There's been a history of a wide range stated.

#65,859 ·
Took it on an adventure! Well not today, got home today. IPR died in Idaho yesterday, then couldn't make it the rest of the way home after I had that changed due to a wreck on a mountain pass. I did finally fix my cruise control, there was a broken wire to the master cylinder, fixed that everything is good, TBC faults cleared, the only code I still throw is #3 glowplug and I will get that swapped out shortly. Sadly I had to use an Orielly's IPR cause Motorcraft was a few days out in that tiny town in ID. So I guess I'm doing an IPR again soon.

Did Eugene Oregon to Kalispell Montana, she did great as always other than the IPR. I did not replace the IPR when I did the engine though, so that was my fault.