Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   Up pipe (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/159197-up-pipe.html)

smokersteve 07-15-2010 12:50 PM

Up pipe

10 Attachment(s)
FINALLY. I got around to it. At the moment I am removing the passenger up pipe. I am going to cut out the scoop that forces exhaust into the cooler.

I will not plug it because I have to smog the truck. But if things go well (codes) after I am done, I will eventually plug the pipe and hope I do not get any codes. Over all if there are no codes then I am a happy camper.

I unplug the EGR valve and that does a great job. I plug it back in for when I go smog.

So far I have the clamp to the cooler loose. The 2 bolts to the manifold are off and have turned the 2 top bolts but they are still tight.

Right now I am waiting on a 3rd hand for the 2 upper bolts that mount to the Y pipe.

I will post pictures and that will do a better job on how I did it.

(update) go to page 3 for pictures and wright up

nylyon 07-15-2010 12:52 PM

Are you doing it with the turbo on?

smokersteve 07-15-2010 12:56 PM

10 Attachment(s)
yea, its tight but im getting there

Frank'daTank 07-15-2010 05:40 PM

subscribing :popcorn:

amdriven2liv 07-15-2010 06:22 PM

Are you enjoying "Hugging your turbo"? I want a window sticker made that says. "have you hugged your turbo lately?"

I've been there. Coming off, not bad. Going back in? Well, the first time, took ten minutes to get the nuts back on the upper bolts. Oops, didn't get the up pipe sealed to the EGR cooler right. Start all over. Fixed seal to EGR cooler, Took over an hour the next go around. Dropped those dang nuts on top of the tranny and so it went.

Next time, I'll remove the turbo!

P.S. one of the upper nuts flipped out of my fingers and took forever to locate it. It "horse shoed ringer" the stupid bolt on the EGR cooler clamp.

smokersteve 07-15-2010 07:09 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I do not want to take out the turbo. BUT normal wrenches and sockets will not do the job and Im only 18 so f my arms cant squeeze in there then yours will not either.... I am going to try the U shaped wrenches and see how that goes tomorrow. If it does not work out then I will just take the turbo out.

So far I have 3 out of the 4 bolts off and the egr cooler clamp off. The 4th bolt is at the top on the opposite side, facing the cab.

MUDSTROKIN' 07-15-2010 07:19 PM

taking out the turbo will save you alot of hassle in the long run. it's not that bad to take out, i suggest doing it. i just had mine off not too long ago and it was't bad

amdriven2liv 07-16-2010 05:49 AM

Taking out the degas bottle will help take out and replacing those upper bolts also. Gives a little more elbow room. The metal gaskets are a pain to put back in also, use some thing like vaseline or something to hold them in place.

Evil Eye 07-16-2010 06:20 AM

A lot of GREAT information in this thread. I would agree that removing the turbo makes it much easier.

HeavyAssault 07-16-2010 02:58 PM

I pulled out the down pipe and it is MUCH easier. Add to that pulling the passenger side wheel well liner increases the access as well.

You don't need to pull the turbo at all. A second set of hands helps more!