3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0299 turbo underboost

Hey all, itís been a long time since Iíve been on the forum, and true to firm I need some help. I have a code with no symptoms that I need to get to the bottom of. A little history first:

I had an open glow plug circuit in cylinder 6 throwing a code, so two days ago I replaced all my glow plugs and my glow plug harnesses. That was a pain, but solved my problem. I have also had an intermittent hard start situation for years. Sometimes it just cranks forever before it starts, and usually I need to try multiple (2-3) cycles of the key with the injectors buzzing to get it to fire up. Happens hot, cold, summer, winter, after sitting for days, or after sitting for a few hours. No rhyme or reason, but itís never stranded me.

This morning after sitting for an entire day I started it up and it fired right up but sounded terrible for a minute bucking and missing as it came to life. I thought I might have an issue, but it smoothed right out and didnít throw any codes.

Iím late with my registration because I have to get the truck smuggled, and I was waiting for all the monitors to reset from clearing the glow plug code. I parked, checked the monitors and it wasnít throwing any codes. When I restarted the truck out of nowhere I got a CEL and P0299 Turbo Underboost. It started right up with no hesitation and ran smoothly out of the gate, but gave me the CEL instantly upon startup.

Now I was all over the place snaking the glow plug harnesses, so I figured I must have screwed something up. I checked all over, and cant find an issue. I cleared the code and drove it for a while, no new CEL. Then I romped on it on the freeway to make sure my turbo vanes were getting a workout and I instantly got the same P0299 CEL.

I fired up my monitor (I use Dashboss) and Key On Engine Off my various air pressures matched. Exhaust Back Pressure, MAP and the Barometric pressure all matched. I fired it up and watched the MAF, EBP, and MAP move up and down upon acceleration/deceleration, so it seems my sensors are working properly. Iím pretty confident I got the air filter and turbo intake all put back together properly.

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to let you know what I have done already. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ready.....go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 6.0 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
ARP Head Studs
Bulletproof Remote Oil Cooler
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
SCT X3 Tuner, Looney Tune from Quick Tricks
7.3 Fan Clutch
FICM with Atlas40 from FICMrepair.com
Updated Standpipes, Dummy Plugs and STC
4" Turbo Back Magnaflow Exhaust
DC Power 185 amp alternator and wiring upgrade
Blue Spring
Coolant Filter
CAT EC-1 Coolant
Dashboss Monitoring including pyro and fuel pressure
Zoodad Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 04:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
I hear P0299, I think turbo veins that need cleaning. Thereís other things. If you look at VGT% while driving, and it approaches 75% or 15%, points to that. Could also be a leak in the system post turbo. Could be other things to,

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisSki For This Useful Post:
fuzzman (01-16-2020)
post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Iíll check that out and post back

ARP Head Studs
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
7.3 Fan Clutch
Blue Spring
Coolant Filter
CAT EC-1 Coolant
Zoodad Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzman View Post
Thanks, Iíll check that out and post back
The VGT range is actually not approaching 85% and 15%. Put something different.

With that, points towards removing the turbo, splitting it in half, cleaning the veins, perhaps replacing the unison ring, putting it together again, and should work. Its a job that can be done at the house, but boy do I hate pulling the turbo. I hate even more spending the money to have someone do it.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #5 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Test run

Well, I gave her a run monitoring VGT. First I checked out ICP when it was cold KOEO and it read zero just like it should. Seems like all my sensors are working as they should. When I first started, the ICP was pegged at 85% at idle which really concerned me, but as soon as I started off it normalized and stayed within normal ranges. I did some homework, and apparently 85% at idle is normal sometimes, especially if you have aftermarket exhaust (I have 4 inches turbo back with the CAT in).

Ran it through the paces for about 5 miles, hard accelerations, easy stop to start and I stayed inside normal VGT ranges and didnít throw a new code.

Maybe the sucker was stuck and running it hard cleared it out? I need to put some miles on it to get the monitors ready for smog, fingers crossed. I expect Iíll get the code again and have to start doing some real detective work.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Well, I gave her a run monitoring VGT. First I checked out ICP when it was cold KOEO and it read zero just like it should. Seems like all my sensors are working as they should. When I first started, the ICP was pegged at 85% at idle which really concerned me, but as soon as I started off it normalized and stayed within normal ranges. I did some homework, and apparently 85% at idle is normal sometimes, especially if you have aftermarket exhaust (I have 4 inches turbo back with the CAT in).

Ran it through the paces for about 5 miles, hard accelerations, easy stop to start and I stayed inside normal VGT ranges and didnít throw a new code.

Maybe the sucker was stuck and running it hard cleared it out? I need to put some miles on it to get the monitors ready for smog, fingers crossed. I expect Iíll get the code again and have to start doing some real detective work.
The vgt turbos on the 03-60l need to be exercised by some light hot rodding at least once a month. Also I noticed a bit of better performance running a diesel fuel additive like diesel kleen. I didn't even run it often but it made a noticeable difference in reducing the egr valve build up and the unison ring and little fingers were way cleaner after using the fuel treatment. I would advise once or twice a month really "exercise" the turbo and let it cool down for a bit before turning it off, (not saying you weren't letting it cool of in the past though). Also your icp reading will not be affted by an aftermarket exhaust. When I was new to the 6.0ls a couple of shops in sac (who will remain nameless for now....) tried telling me I had to have my cat and muffler to keep the backpressure right for the turbo hahahahahahaha.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I used to run Diesel Kleen and stopped as I didnít see any benefit. Might start running it again. Justin, you checked inside your turbos enough to notice the difference....wow, thatís a lot of pulling turbos. I pulled mine and cleaned it quite a while back when I did an oil cooler immediately after purchasing. When I had the truck studded and put in the remote oil cooler about 40K miles ago they did it again.

I checked out ICP on the advice of Ron the Diesel Tech (RIP Ron). He said in a video about VGT that it was one of the sensors I should be sure was calibrated by ensuring it was measuring zero KOEO.

Thanks for all the advice fellas

ARP Head Studs
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
7.3 Fan Clutch
Blue Spring
Coolant Filter
CAT EC-1 Coolant
Zoodad Mod
post #8 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New turbo fixed my P0299 CEL (and the 15lbs max boost) I have noticed that the original turbo only read 75% at idle and the new one runs at 85%
I wussed out and had it installed in the shop (should've waited since it blew the EGR cooler a week later)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2004 F250 CCSB 4X4
4" Skyjacker lift
3:73 gears
35x12.5x18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Method MR309 wheels
KDD heads, ARP studs, BD exhaust manifolds, DieselSite up pipes, Mishimoto degas bottle
PHP Insight PRO
PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune
post #9 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

When my P0299 code showed up, it was always intermittent, but got more and more frequent.

If you have an air-compressor, you can rig a 4" Rubber pipe boot to do a Turbo Leak Check. At 5 - 10 PSI you'll hear the leak.

Also, an easy thing to check is the MAP hose. That can be cracked or broken leading to faulty turbo readings.

Tunes can be written to exercise the turbo veins on start up. Maybe you have that. Maybe the stock tuning does it, I don't know. Perhaps the EBP Sensor tube is clogged.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisSki For This Useful Post:
fuzzman (01-16-2020)
post #10 of 19 Old 01-16-2020, 04:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
I used to run Diesel Kleen and stopped as I didnít see any benefit. Might start running it again. Justin, you checked inside your turbos enough to notice the difference....wow, thatís a lot of pulling turbos. I pulled mine and cleaned it quite a while back when I did an oil cooler immediately after purchasing. When I had the truck studded and put in the remote oil cooler about 40K miles ago they did it again.

I checked out ICP on the advice of Ron the Diesel Tech (RIP Ron). He said in a video about VGT that it was one of the sensors I should be sure was calibrated by ensuring it was measuring zero KOEO.

Thanks for all the advice fellas
I pulled it three times that year and the truck had less than 70k when I started and put almost 20k that year because of some road trips. I was very new to diesels so I tested fuel economy, and all sorts of random stuff. The diesel kleen only really helps keep the egr valve a little clear and the turbo was noticeable cleaner. It didn't help with fuel economy and I didn't experience cold weather at Travis AFB. I now run a 1999 7.3l and for me the diesel kleen is mainly used only a few times a year for road trips but it did give a very slight boost when I used it on winter fuel.

Winter blended diesel is designed to fight freezing but at the cost of reducing fuel economy etc. I tried some fuel additives and diesel kleen was available everywhere and helped winter fuel so I use it every now and then.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode