LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine monitoring options

Hi guys,

I like most of you have the SGII and it has proven to be the best tool for my uses. Lately, I have had some gremlin issues and had to monitor several parameters at one time for days at a time and since there is only four slots, some of the more vital (ECT, VOLTS, EOT, FICM etc) get left out in the cold and that bugs me.

What options are out there where I can monitor many (8 or so) parameters at one time? I monitor ECT, VOLTS, FMP & TFT on a regualr basis when I am not data logging or chasing an intermittent issue. I don't need a tuner, just a stand alone gauges setup.

I have mechanical boost, electrical fuel and made an EGT setup with Auberins products....so these are not needed.

I am outdated on this and was wondering what many use with luck.

Thanks for the time.

Joe

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
I can monitor 8, or it 10, with the Edge CTS. Its expandable, but you're already monitoring the two big ones fuel and EGT. The edge is pricey, more so than a complete USB Android, including a dedicated tablet to monitor. If you're thinking of adding more, like a low pressure oil or a turbo timeout device, the edge could be a way to go; if not, look at the USB devices. There's also a couple of PIDs that the Edge won't see, and unfortunately, they do not publish a list of all PIDs like the scan gauge does. The edge also records highs, like the max boost you put out.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #3 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,086 Times in 1,014 Posts
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Since you already have EGT and fuel pressure as stand alone gauges, get an OBDII dongle and Torque Pro or Forscan.

Here's a sample of what I used to monitor with TP. I had FP and EGT on it as well, but that's not really an option anymore. At least not the way I did it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Those are great options.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a dongle.....is this a brand of bluetooth obdII connector?

Ca you recommend a dependable brand?

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

post #5 of 24 Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

Garage
LOL, I just responded to another post with this same option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or
https://www.scantool.net/

I own two MX+'s, an MX BT, an MX wifi and the SX USB. Never had a problem with any of them. I see they've recently replaced the SX USB with an EX USB designed "from the ground up to take full advantage of all of the features of the FORScan software for Windows". I may have to get that one too, though I've never had a problem with the others using Forscan for diagnostics.

For monitoring though, the MX Bluetooth adapter is fine IMO. If you're a iOS guy, then you'll need the MX+. The LX Bluetooth works fine for monitoring too, but you lose the MS-CAN capability. For full diagnostics with the PC version of Forscan, you need to be able to read the MS-CAN network.

There are cheaper options, but there aren't any better options that I know of. PLX has some good ones, but there are just as pricey or maybe even more.

Edit: The screenshot I posted earlier was from a Samsung 10" tablet (Android) that I used. I still have the tablet if you want a big ol' screen and have room to put it somewhere. The screen is cracked, but it still works fine.
bismic, joe blow and Hydro like this.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;

Last edited by G8orFord; 01-03-2020 at 06:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
joe blow (01-03-2020)
post #6 of 24 Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for the information, I will definitely look into it....and thank you for the tablet use but my kids have them laying around LOL.

Another dumb question:

Once I round all these items up, is it self explanatory on how to monitor the stuff I want or are there PID entries like the SGII?

Thank you for the help

Joe

Joe

Last edited by joe blow; 01-03-2020 at 08:06 AM.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Garage
With the exception of a very few custom PIDs (which you may not want anyway), you don't need to program anything into TP. Once the app is installed you will need to go into settings and enable the extra PIDs for Ford (inc Superduty). Also in settings you'll set up the connection to the adapter (you need to pair it to your phone/tablet first). Once you're connected, you will need to set up your dashboard. It's fairly easy and intuitive, but there's plenty of us here to help if you need a nudge in the right direction.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
joe blow (01-03-2020)
post #8 of 24 Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Dexter for all the help!

Joe

post #9 of 24 Old 01-03-2020, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
That's great! I may go this way for a new purchase. I have Edge CTS in my truck and love it but it is expensive. I probably won't do EGT until I mod it with a turbo and/or injectors. Does it interfere with other things like itunes, texts, phone calls, and voice mails and other apps in CarPlay?

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #10 of 24 Old 01-04-2020, 04:31 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Torque Pro is Android only, but you can use Forscan with iOS and accomplish pretty much the same thing. You'll get the added advantage of better diagnostic ability too. To me, Torque Pro is more suitable and customizable for monitoring, but Forscan is top dog for reading codes and other diagnostics.

Neither will cause any problems with the other uses you mentioned, at least not in Android, never tried it with iOS.
kcoyner likes this.

Dexter
SPD)

FICM;
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
Water Pump;

Coolant Filter;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode