LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Emergency Services

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler decision??

Thanks for our time!
I have a 2004 Ford 6.0. I tow heavy and often. It is strait piped, IPR filtration, deleted, clutch fan upgrade and multiple other upgrades.
My current oil cooler is good, temps are good. In Arizona in the summer at over 100 degrees with the damn mountains I'm looking for any better way to keep temps cool while towing. If I don't tow heavy or at all temps (EOT) never get over 215. With the toyhauler fully loaded l'll slow down and will keep temps not exceeding 240's. That's 40mph, but once I peak the mountain temps will go back to normal. Usually EOT temps with out the mountains towing are 205-220 depending on my speed or hills.
My question is is it worth it to upgrade right now to a Bullet Proof oil cooler. Will I see a huge difference in temps towing? I ask, cause I didn't see any post if some had a big difference in temps from good working oil cooler to Bullet Proof oil cooler while towing heavy.

Engine: SCT tuner w/innovative diesel custom tune, Intercooler, radiator, water pump, 7.3 fan clutch, AEM intake, Heads, ARB head studs, wire harness, FICM, Sinister egr cooler, fuel pump, blue spring kit, coolant filter w/ ultra ECL coolant, redid stock turbo, oil cooler, degass w cap, synthetic oil, Banks exhaust, hollow cat
New springs, Rancho shocks, Airbags, Hellwig swaybars, 4.30 gears w TrueTracs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
What are your EGT's? Should not get above 1300.

I have the BPD air cooled oil cooler and BPD Mechanical fan clutch and when I tow 11k on an AZ summer day, I see flat and level EOT 200. When I go up an extended 6% grade (I17 North by Sunset point) I see 210, maybe 215 tops. What I HAVE to slow down for is the EGTs starting to creep up. Last reputable shop I brought it to said to keep EGT 1300 or below. I could easily with EOT, ECT, and power go faster, but the EGTs limit me to 50 MPH up those hills.

If you have the mechanical clutch, I'm surprised you're seeing temps that high, but the tow haulers, especially the 3 axle ones weigh more than I am towing.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 723 Post(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
what clutch fan upgrade the 7.3? ( I much prefer the blue wire mod for this type of towing

240* is your oil temp max what is your coolant
kcoyner likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Emergency Services

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was talking about the BPD fan upgrade. My EGT's keep my foot out of the throttle also. I try not exceed 1300 or very short times at 1400.
Yeah Sunset point or coming out of Camp Verde that's a nasty one also. I'm usually 235-240 at the top with my EGT's around 1200 not to exceed 1400
It's almost a wash. I could cool it down but then I'll be stopped by the EGT's. Then I could get the BPD oil cooler and a water/methanol injection and push it a little more but is it worth it??
kcoyner likes this.

Engine: SCT tuner w/innovative diesel custom tune, Intercooler, radiator, water pump, 7.3 fan clutch, AEM intake, Heads, ARB head studs, wire harness, FICM, Sinister egr cooler, fuel pump, blue spring kit, coolant filter w/ ultra ECL coolant, redid stock turbo, oil cooler, degass w cap, synthetic oil, Banks exhaust, hollow cat
New springs, Rancho shocks, Airbags, Hellwig swaybars, 4.30 gears w TrueTracs.

Last edited by fuegonaz; 12-15-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
IMO 235+ is too hot for the oil temp.
kcoyner likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #6 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
I would go with the Heavy Duty BPD remote oil cooler. I run the BPD 7.3 fan clutch but I live in VA. I agree with ZMANN. f I were in AZ and towing heavy I would think about going back to the Blue WIre Mod.

k
ZMANN likes this.

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #7 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
BPD air to oil cooler with 7.3 mechanical fan (HAYDEN severe duty) and towing my 39' weekend warrior up some pretty extended good pulls, I will not see EGT's above 1300 (foot in it) and NEVER see coolant temps above 220* and that is pushing my truck HARD. I didn't do the wire mod because I just didn't trust the visctronic fan anymore. The Hayden severe duty fan you get with the BPD setup is 95% solid engaged when on. I am not sure about the blue wire mod but to be honest I did not want to fk with remembering to turn it on when needed. So far the mechanical clutch is the be all end all IMO.....I will never go back

My oil temps have never been above 220 and to be honest I don't even monitor it.

My gearhead tunes are spot on and once the stage II is in the zone, the truck pulls perfect between 2500-2800 rpm.

Methanol injection.....not needed if you set it up right.

Joe
bismic and kcoyner like this.

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

Last edited by joe blow; 12-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 723 Post(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Injection can wipe a motor in no time,, liquids do not compress

i say make sure you have a good tow tune for heavy tow and look into your 7.3 fan engagement

only time I have seen temps that high were with bad coolant and or a bad cooler

the blue wire mod = full lock and you can hear it .. but the caveat that you have to remember to flip the switch is valid
joe blow and kcoyner like this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #9 of 23 Old 12-15-2019, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
What kind of tune are you using? Stock radiator? Ive towed hills in CA (5-6% grade and total weight about 26k) on a relatively hot tow tune (stock injectors) and I can keep my foot buried for a couple of miles before I have to ease off (ect/eot 230s). Outside temps 100-115. If I back off to a stock fuel tow tune I can probably pull just about any hill @ WOT with those ambient temps. EGT's never go past 1100, but that's because I have a bigger turbo.

I contemplated the bpd oil cooler, but the stock unit when healthy is pretty efficient.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
joe blow likes this.

2006 F-250 CCLB Lariat FX4
4" Rancho Lift with Wireless Ride adjustment (came with truck)
35" Toyo A/T Tires on 20" Eagle Alloys
4.10 gears
Barder Stage 2 turbo
Odawg Ported intake manifold
CSF 6028 Intercooler
Updated Mishimoto Radiator (MMRAD-F2D-60)
ARP Head Studs
Bulletproof EGR Cooler
Tunes by Gearhead/IDP (SRLXX daily),
Dieselsite Coolant Filter Kit
ISSPRO gauges: Trans, EGT, Fuel Pressure
Airdog II 165
6.4l Banjo Bolts
PHP Original FICM tune
post #10 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
What is your coolant temps during this? I suspect a new OEM cooler will lower your oil temps just fine.

05 F350 Crewcab
98 Jeep TJ - wheeler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in