Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel pump question

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  BTL 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have some questions about a fuel issue I’m having with my 2004 f250 6.0. I’ve done some research and have conducted a few tests to try and pin point the problem. Yesterday I was driving down the freeway, and it started running extremely rough. I pulled to the shoulder and it died immediately. Tried to start it and it fired up, but acted as if it was running on only a couple cylinders so I shut it down and called for a tow truck. When i got it home, i noticed the fuel pressure gauge on top of my engine mounted fuel filter cap reads zero. This is when I started researching. Both fuel filters are new, with maybe 1500 miles on them both so they shouldn’t be clogged. I’m going to replace them again just for good measure. After researching I started my testing at the inertia switch which tested good. I have power there. I also have power at the frame rail mounted fuel pump, and I can hear it making noice when I key on the ignition. I unbolted the bed and slid it back enough to access what I thought was an in the tank fuel pump, which turned out to be the fuel pick up tube and fuel level sensor. The fuel pick up screen in the fuel tank is clean with zero crud in it. I was told by the ford parts department guy and the o’Reillys auto parts guy on the phone that my truck has two fuel pumps. One in the tank and a frame rail mounted fuel pump. Well I am positive that I do not have a fuel pump in the fuel tank, so they were wrong. I have a sct livewire where I monitor all the important things to look after and my high pressure oil pump was working as it should up to the very moment all this started, and I’m confident it’s not a possibility of the cause of what ever it is that’s going on. It did throw a couple codes. P0284, P0266, and P2290 which I think is the icp sensor going bad because icp actual is within spec. So is there another fuel pump that I am unaware of besides the frame rail mounted fuel pump under the driver side cab? I run a sinister diesel adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and have always had the fuel pressure running between 55-60 psi. The fuel pressure regulator did not back out and cause a fuel pressure drop. I pulled the engine mounted fuel filter cap off and pulled the filter out and had my wife turn the ignition on and the filter bowl will not fill up with fuel. Are there any other tests I should do before I buy a new frame rail mounted fuel pump for 400 to 600 Benjamins? Any information from the PSD pros would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
only one fuel pump

and it does shut off after a few seconds if you key on bu do not start the truck so checking fuel psi needs to be quick or with the motor running

Before this issue started, my fuel pressure gauge would read 55-60 psi before the motor would start. Now it reads zero. I don’t want to try to start the engine in fear of destroying my injectors.

#5 ·
I thought that would get mentioned, so to rule it out I put my old blue spring kit back on and still the same issue. The fuel pressure gauge needle will just barely come off of the stopper pin. I really think the fuel pump is toast, but really don’t want to go throwing parts at it until I finally find the part that fixes the issue. That’s how the repair shops get you.

#6 ·
and you can buy just the110.00 motor for the pump but if your pump runs but underperforms it may be time for the whole new HFCM

and your smart to not run it with low/ no psi

just make sure when you do check that guage the pump is running still after key on

and verify all your lines are clear and your tank has fuel ( I have to say that part lol)

#7 ·
Only Fuel pump is in the HFCM on the frame under driver's seat. The fuel pump is replaceable without changing the complete module but I recommend full replacement if it's never been done.

k

#9 · (Edited)
I would disconnect the outlet on the HFCM and put a hose on it and then into a fuel can. Turn the key on and see if you have high pressure fuel coming out of the pump. To me if he can hear what he thinks is the pump running but he is getting 0 pressure on the gauge this would confirm if his fuel pump is functioning properly. I always try the simple things first.

BTL

#10 ·
I just went through this. I could hear my pump run, but "I ran out of fuel".
I went through EVERYTHING. even pressurizing the fuel lines between the hfcm and tank. I just wanted to make sure if I was replacing the pump for a reason.
Even though the pump "ran" it was not pumping anymore. Not picking up, to be exact.
This is easier to diagnose than what I did. Simply disconnect the upper pump to tank return line and pressurize it, you should get fuel from the barb that line came off of, if not, there is your problem (something in the tank). If you do get fuel, your hfcm is now full of fuel, pop the lower fuel line off, turn on the truck, if you get a constant flow of fuel (not just a quart or so) the pump or hfcm, or both, is the problem. If you get a good flow from the pump, then the problem is in your fuel lines.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have some questions about a fuel issue I’m having with my 2004 f250 6.0. I’ve done some research and have conducted a few tests to try and pin point the problem. Yesterday I was driving down the freeway, and it started running extremely rough. I pulled to the shoulder and it died immediately. Tried to start it and it fired up, but acted as if it was running on only a couple cylinders so I shut it down and called for a tow truck. When i got it home, i noticed the fuel pressure gauge on top of my engine mounted fuel filter cap reads zero. This is when I started researching. Both fuel filters are new, with maybe 1500 miles on them both so they shouldn’t be clogged. I’m going to replace them again just for good measure. After researching I started my testing at the inertia switch which tested good. I have power there. I also have power at the frame rail mounted fuel pump, and I can hear it making noice when I key on the ignition. I unbolted the bed and slid it back enough to access what I thought was an in the tank fuel pump, which turned out to be the fuel pick up tube and fuel level sensor. The fuel pick up screen in the fuel tank is clean with zero crud in it. I was told by the ford parts department guy and the o’Reillys auto parts guy on the phone that my truck has two fuel pumps. One in the tank and a frame rail mounted fuel pump. Well I am positive that I do not have a fuel pump in the fuel tank, so they were wrong. I have a sct livewire where I monitor all the important things to look after and my high pressure oil pump was working as it should up to the very moment all this started, and I’m confident it’s not a possibility of the cause of what ever it is that’s going on. It did throw a couple codes. P0284, P0266, and P2290 which I think is the icp sensor going bad because icp actual is within spec. So is there another fuel pump that I am unaware of besides the frame rail mounted fuel pump under the driver side cab? I run a sinister diesel adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and have always had the fuel pressure running between 55-60 psi. The fuel pressure regulator did not back out and cause a fuel pressure drop. I pulled the engine mounted fuel filter cap off and pulled the filter out and had my wife turn the ignition on and the filter bowl will not fill up with fuel. Are there any other tests I should do before I buy a new frame rail mounted fuel pump for 400 to 600 Benjamins? Any information from the PSD pros would be greatly appreciated.

Good troubleshooting to verify power and to confirm the pickup tube is good.

Assuming no leaks or plugs in the fuel tubing:

You might want to pull the manifold off of the side of the HFCM. If it is dirty, corroded, etc., then a new HFCM would be warranted IMO. The pump itself is about $130 as ZMANN posted. If you do get a pump, I would get the one from Parker Hannifin (original pump supplier):

part number PFP58054

https://www.racorstore.com/index.ph...SwRk_7rVkqZKGKH34Es_nQKqNCUAcEWRoCp8wQAvD_BwE

or cheaper -

https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/pfp58054-racor-fuel-pump-assembly-parfit.html

#13 ·
Filter cap oring on the HFCM has to seal to allow the pump to pull from the tank
you can use 4 short clear hoses in a container to plumb the pump, to see if it can prime and flow

or just 2 if you plug the 2 upper(return) ports

#14 ·
So today I check everything and then double checked everything again, and I determined the fuel pump really was the culprit. It just so happens that my good friend works at oreilly’s auto parts and they had a complete motorcraft fuel pump assembly in stock. He hooked me up for $213.33 out the door, and that included two motorcraft fuel filters. I got everything home and installed, and thank the lord she’s alive again. It sounds like it’s running really good. So I guess my fuel injectors survived the fuel pump failure. Just want to thank everyone for the advice again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.