Help! Truck dies after driving a few miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Truck dies after driving a few miles

Hello everybody! I am new to this site, new to the 6.0 world but have had 7.3's and even a cummins. I've heard too many horror stories so have always steered clear of the 6.0 until I got an offer I couldn't turn down. So anyway I got this truck a few weeks ago. Late 2004 F250 FX4. I was told it had an SCT tune, 175/30 injectors and a stage 2 KC turbo. I have confirmed I do have the stage 2 turbo as it was locked up when I got the truck so I rebuilt it. Got the truck running and took it for a drive. Made it about 4-5 miles and it acted like it was running out of fuel. Truck died and would not start again. (I had just put 10 gallons of diesel in it so that wasn't it) The night before after turbo was installed I let it run for about 15 minutes, drove down the street and back, parked in front of shop and noticed check engine light and noticed truck had a misfire. I killed it to pull codes and after that it wouldn't start. Charged battery overnight, got fuel the next morning and went for the drive. After a couple of hours of messing with the truck, checking fuel filters, checking codes again it still wouldn't start. I finally got it to run after turning battery charger over to jump start. It started then died, then started and ran fine.

I don't remember all the codes or their numbers. Had a few for oil temp sensor which was unplugged. Have several for EGR system but it has been deleted. Had another that was cylinder 1 contribution balance, so I definitely have at least some form of a fuel problem, but that shouldn't cause the truck to die.

Now this truck is supposed to be tuned, big injectors and big turbo, 5" exhaust. Turbo didn't spool until about 2,000+ rpms, no black smoke (which I don't care to see black smoke but with those mods there should've been some) I tried to powerbrake the truck and it wouldn't even break the tires loose on a dirt road (they are 35x12.50" tires though.) My 2002 7.3 with a 100hp hydra tune will currently run circles around the 6.0, so something isn't right. I probably got lied to on the injectors and the tune, but that's for another day.

Batteries are old so I'm buying some new ones today and going to check FICM voltage. Is there anything any of you guys have seen that sticks out that I should jump right to? I need to get this thing running right so I can either get rid of it or drive the crap out of it. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula4999 View Post
Hello everybody! I am new to this site, new to the 6.0 world but have had 7.3's and even a cummins. I've heard too many horror stories so have always steered clear of the 6.0 until I got an offer I couldn't turn down. So anyway I got this truck a few weeks ago. Late 2004 F250 FX4. I was told it had an SCT tune, 175/30 injectors and a stage 2 KC turbo. I have confirmed I do have the stage 2 turbo as it was locked up when I got the truck so I rebuilt it. Got the truck running and took it for a drive. Made it about 4-5 miles and it acted like it was running out of fuel. Truck died and would not start again. (I had just put 10 gallons of diesel in it so that wasn't it) The night before after turbo was installed I let it run for about 15 minutes, drove down the street and back, parked in front of shop and noticed check engine light and noticed truck had a misfire. I killed it to pull codes and after that it wouldn't start. Charged battery overnight, got fuel the next morning and went for the drive. After a couple of hours of messing with the truck, checking fuel filters, checking codes again it still wouldn't start. I finally got it to run after turning battery charger over to jump start. It started then died, then started and ran fine.

I don't remember all the codes or their numbers. Had a few for oil temp sensor which was unplugged. Have several for EGR system but it has been deleted. Had another that was cylinder 1 contribution balance, so I definitely have at least some form of a fuel problem, but that shouldn't cause the truck to die.

Now this truck is supposed to be tuned, big injectors and big turbo, 5" exhaust. Turbo didn't spool until about 2,000+ rpms, no black smoke (which I don't care to see black smoke but with those mods there should've been some) I tried to powerbrake the truck and it wouldn't even break the tires loose on a dirt road (they are 35x12.50" tires though.) My 2002 7.3 with a 100hp hydra tune will currently run circles around the 6.0, so something isn't right. I probably got lied to on the injectors and the tune, but that's for another day.

Batteries are old so I'm buying some new ones today and going to check FICM voltage. Is there anything any of you guys have seen that sticks out that I should jump right to? I need to get this thing running right so I can either get rid of it or drive the crap out of it. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!
The first thing is what are the actual codes?
Next is all the usual such as...
VGT%
ICP
IPR
FICM
Fuel pressure

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
post #3 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I don't remember the code numbers, so I will have to check again and get back to you, but like I said none should be related other than the cylinder 1 contribution balance. I will check again though...

What is a good tool for checking all the other things? I do not have a scanner. All I have is a bosch code reader, and it may have the capability of looking at those things but I wont know until I get home to mess with it. It wasn't a cheap one so it should be able to look at some stuff. If not whats a good scan tool that doesn't cost 5 grand?

2002 7.3 CCSB 4x4 XLT. 4" exhaust, wicked wheel, hydra tuner, 6637 filter mod.
2004 6.0 CCSB FX4 Lariat. 5" exhaust, KC stage 2 turbo, airdog fuel pump, CAI, head studs, EGR delete, 6" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Garage
I would add -- check the engine oil pressure
need a gauge for this, as the sensor is only a on/off switch

may answer why the turbo was locked up
letsmow10 likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
dracula4999 (12-09-2019)
post #5 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Quote:

So why can't a fuel system issue cause the engine to die?
jman37 and Hydro like this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
I would add -- check the engine oil pressure
need a gauge for this, as the sensor is only a on/off switch

may answer why the turbo was locked up

Not a bad idea! I hadn't really thought about that. Thanks!

Oil pressure gauge on dash appeared to be in normal range, but I'll admit I didn't pay much attention to the dash. I'll check that too, probably go ahead and do an oil change and change all fuel filters as well.

2004 6.0 CCSB FX4 Lariat. 5" exhaust, KC stage 2 turbo, airdog fuel pump, CAI, head studs, EGR delete, 6" lift
post #7 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't remember the code numbers, so I will have to check again and get back to you, but like I said none should be related other than the cylinder 1 contribution balance. I will check again though...

What is a good tool for checking all the other things? I do not have a scanner. All I have is a bosch code reader, and it may have the capability of looking at those things but I wont know until I get home to mess with it. It wasn't a cheap one so it should be able to look at some stuff. If not whats a good scan tool that doesn't cost 5 grand?
Forscan is what you need
OBDLink MX or the BAFX adapter -- Bluetooth for Android, wifi for iPhone
the windo$ version on a laptop has the most power

https://forscan.org/download.html

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #8 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
So why can't a fuel system issue cause the engine to die?

One injector throwing a code or being bad shouldn't cause the engine to die, but that was the only code that had anything to do with fuel system.

post #9 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Forscan with a OBD dongle will do wonders as stated. Perhaps the "good deal" was inheriting someone else's issue? With those mods though, I surely hope it has studs?

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #10 of 57 Old 12-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Quote:
One injector throwing a code or being bad shouldn't cause the engine to die, but that was the only code that had anything to do with fuel system.
I disagree with you, depends on what the issue is ..... but that's ok.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bismic For This Useful Post:
dracula4999 (12-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode