Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Frist Trip Nome Performance Numbers What Do You Think

431 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ChallengerRV 
#1 ·
I took my new to me F550 out on it's first big road trip test. I thought I would post up some results of the monitoring that I did, and see if you guys with more experience with this engine see anything I should be worried about. I'm a 7.3 guy that moved up to this 6.0 and I'm still trying to get a feel for it. The Truck is a 05 F550 with 278K on it now. According to the PO the truck had a Ford Reman put in it 170K ago. Truck was carrying my truck camper that weighs about 4K and the truck weighs about 10K empty. Trip was from Colorado Springs to Amarillo Tx and back so a little over 660 miles total. Trans temp was always 164 - 167, Fuel pressure was a steady 60 psi even pulling hills, Rolling down the road at 65 the EOT/ECT diff was always 11 degrees and the highest was 14 degrees pulling Raton Pass. Coolant was always between 190 and 202. Truck ran good and shifted strong for the whole trip. With the 4:88 gears I didn't go over 70MPH as that was 2500RPM most of the time I kept it to 65MPH just to not push it too hard which returned and overall average of 9.3 MPG. What do you guys think? Does anything look off here? Just a little extra info. It is studded, the injectors have about 25K on them, and I have done a cooling flush and am running the Red ELC coolant and a coolant filter. Thanks in advance in helping me gain some confidence in my new truck.

#2 ·
Everything looks good to me. Every 550 we own only gets 9mpg. And a 14 degree delta pulling a hill at 14k lbs isnt bad at all IMO. Remember, deltas are suppose to be check on flat ground, 65mph, empty for 15 mins.

#4 ·
Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. It's going to be hard to get a delta reading empty. The 550 is always loaded :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.