Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Validity of Bullet Proofing

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  tmj690 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am quite new to the realm of powerstroke engines. I am thinking of purchasing a 2006 van that the owner says was bullet proofed. He has supplied the invoice, and it appears that it was a complete job. But some have suggested that the work was a result of a catastrophic failure at some point.

I would love to have the experts take a look and confirm that it is indeed a proper bullet proofing job. I do understand that an invoice means nothing, and that a thorough inspection is necessary to confirm anything. But I'd like to assume for purpose of this post, that the work in the invoice was correctly done.

Attached is the invoice. Any advice or comments very welcomed. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Up top - I see "STUD KIT" under R&R HG's but i'm not entirely sure what that really means though...

I'd also like to know which HG's they used, and if all OEM parts that were replaced were actually replaced with OEM parts or aftermarket?

-jokester

#5 ·
I think a lot of good work was done to the truck. Keep in mind, no real definition of Bullet Proofing, and I would feel good calling what was done to the trick Bulletproofing. Keep in mind I got BPD products with my Bullet Proofing, and Joe Blow has BPD everything. You do have to draw a line somewhere, otherwise you'll spend in excess of $10k.

#6 ·
That is for sure brother LOL

Still beats an 800-1k a month payment....AND NO DEF!

Reactions: ZMANN
#7 ·
Even though it says FASS Fuel Pump kit, does it still have the stock filter & regulator assembly? If so, a blue spring mod needs to be done, at a minimum. You can do it yourself for around $20.
The BPD air-cooled Oil Cooler will do much better than stock. I just finished driving 150 highway miles in Texas winter temps (63 degrees, [emoji16]) and my oil and coolant never exceeded 195 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I think Bullet Proof Diesel has a list of shops around the country that are familiar with their products and of course the 6.0 engine. If you are close to pulling the trigger on this truck, you may want to ask BPD about a referral to a shop in your area and have them take a look at the truck prior to purchasing. Pre-purchase or bumper-to-bumper inspections are fairly inexpensive and if done by a qualified and disinterested third party, can be of value.

#9 ·
^^This. A $100 pre purchase inspection might be the best $100 you ever spend!

-jokester

Reactions: Spirit and bismic
#12 ·
Maybe it’s just me, but I tend to give some judgement in the invoice itself. Aside from “stud kit” the use of apostrophes to denote pluralization is problematic for me. If a shop doesn’t take the time to ensure a simple thing like an invoice is correct and professional, do they use the same level of care in their work? Lumping things together in one line instead of itemizing everything can lead to misinterpretation as well.

That’s just me though.

#15 ·
I'm no expert or even know much about anything to start with lol but a few things jump out at me. One is the studs / gaskets, as asked by others, it'd be good to know which ones were used. The big thing to me is at the top it says "R&R cylinder head's" which to me is remove and replace, but below it says "cylinder heads rebuilt" with quantity 1. It does say heads as in plural, but it shows quantity 1, does that mean they just rebuilt 1 or did they do both? Also it'd be good to figure out what all they did to the heads. Also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe dexcool belongs in these trucks? I know stock is Ford gold, but I'm not sure if dexcool was usable. Other than that, HGs are Felpro gaskets per part number.

As for if it's bulletproof or not, as per definition it is not. This truck is what a lot of people would call studded and deleted. Bulletproof is a term put out by Bulletproof diesel and your truck is only bulletproof when you have their water pump, ficm, oil cooler, and EGR along with ARP headstuds.

#16 ·
Maybe I misread something or just missed it, but I didn’t see anything about an oil cooler change. Saw a flush and rad fluid being replaced with Dexcool, but no cooler being changed. I’m also under the impression that Dexcool isn’t really good for these engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.