6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-08-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't win for losing

Felt a need to post this because I am sure some of you have had the problem......FKNG RATS!

I am referring to the destructive vermin that love to chew stuff.

So today I am leaving work (work 48hrs straight) and my truck had been parked for the duration. I start the truck and high idle it while I load my stuff, luckily my bro wanted to talk about an off road car.

I walk out 20 min later and coolant everywhere.

After figuring out what happened, a rat decided to make his way through my heater hose, my heat shield wrap and some attempt at my wire harness.

Anyway I ran to O'reilly's and bought some 3/8" hose, repaired it and drove home....glad it sat and idled long enough to leak in the parking lot

This has never happened and I am wondering what some of you do to prevent this or deter rats from striking?

I'd like to hear some suggestions....rat poison under the hood etc?

Thanks
Joe

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow View Post
Felt a need to post this because I am sure some of you have had the problem......FKNG RATS!

I am referring to the destructive vermin that love to chew stuff.

So today I am leaving work (work 48hrs straight) and my truck had been parked for the duration. I start the truck and high idle it while I load my stuff, luckily my bro wanted to talk about an off road car.

I walk out 20 min later and coolant everywhere.

After figuring out what happened, a rat decided to make his way through my heater hose, my heat shield wrap and some attempt at my wire harness.

Anyway I ran to O'reilly's and bought some 3/8" hose, repaired it and drove home....glad it sat and idled long enough to leak in the parking lot

This has never happened and I am wondering what some of you do to prevent this or deter rats from striking?

I'd like to hear some suggestions....rat poison under the hood etc?

Thanks
Joe

I live in a rural area of the the SW desert and pack-rats are a big problem. I'm sure I have paid north of a few thousand dollars in auto electrical damage over the past 30 years because of those things. Garages obviously work the best but I don't have room for all the vehicles. Some folks leave their hood open in an effort to discourage them and say it helps somewhat. I've used poisons over the years which works okay but doing that also kills other wildlife as well. I ran across an electric (battery) operated trap (execution chamber) that works very well and I would recommend using that. It's made by Victor and will accommodate vermin up to the size of a medium chipmunk. I set mine a few feet away from the vehicle and bait it with peanut butter. Easy to bait, easy disposal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:
joe blow (12-08-2019)
post #3 of 15 Old 12-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This was recommended to me when I was fighting the squirrel problem. Never tried it as we were able to solve the problem with a .22 and a couple of mutant beagles.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...557GY2XC&psc=1

2007 F-350 4X4 CCSB, 6.0 PSD, ZF6 Manual Trans, 3.73s, EGR and Cat improvement, Edge CTS2 with EGT and Fuel, SCT X4, PHP FICM Programmer, Sinister Adjustable Fuel Press. Cover, Ficmrepair.com batt/alt wiring upgrade, Bosch 140 amp alternator with overdrive pulley, Rotella ELC, High-Idle mod, Mishimoto coolant filter, 6.4 starter, Genex mirror w/temp and compass, Magnum RT steps, Leer 100R Shell, Custom front bumper replacement, Steelcraft Elevation rear bumper, B&W turnover ball, 4" Cat Back exhaust, JVC head unit with backup camera, '08+ towing mirrors and rear diff. cover, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sock Puppet For This Useful Post:
joe blow (12-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-08-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I did some research and with advice from a guy at work I bought this (in 12v and battery for my other small truck that sits) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

.......and peppermint oil.

The device seems to do a good job and the peppermint oil is very irritating to their keen sense of smell. Turns out rats sh*t and piss in order to mark their "safe" areas so they can attract mates and find their way back to it.

Regardless, they are getting a nice supply of fresh rat poison pellets.

Thanks for the advice
kcoyner likes this.

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!

Joe

post #5 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Emergency Services

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The .22 method works well for home, but I prefer the .177 air cannon for the out and about.

A couple monthly packs of d-con will help you out as well.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Don't put poison in the truck. Poison is an attractant. Yes it will eventually kill them, but you really don;t want to draw them to the engine well.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #7 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow View Post
Thanks guys. I did some research and with advice from a guy at work I bought this (in 12v and battery for my other small truck that sits) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

.......and peppermint oil.

The device seems to do a good job and the peppermint oil is very irritating to their keen sense of smell. Turns out rats sh*t and piss in order to mark their "safe" areas so they can attract mates and find their way back to it.

Regardless, they are getting a nice supply of fresh rat poison pellets.

Thanks for the advice
Keep an eye on your batteries. 6.0ls have an infamously underrated charging system (ask me how I know lol...) I was reading the reviews and a picture of the box shows it auto stops at 10.v for a battery that's REALLY low for these trucks. I would look into a battery tender if you can run a cord or at least run a tender the night before with this thing attached. Also let me know if it works. I no longer daily drive my truck. I have a noco 4amp on board battery tender mounted and it does a great job after a couple of months so far but im def. curious about the electrical rodent repeller since I already have the tender etc,

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #8 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Yes, I'm interested as well. Let us know how this works-out for you, it sounds like it beats what I've been doing. Ground rules: If it drains your batteries, the rats win that round...lol.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

I am going with the AAA version for my truck after all.

I purchased the 12v/24v for my truck but I do not want to chance it killing my batteries, especially if I am at work for 4 days and my truck sits. I just got an email from one of the guys that one of our prevention vehicles (parked along the same wall/North side) got chewed on as well. Funny thing is I rarely park against that wall and let's just say I no longer will.

I am skeptical but at a minimum the engine bay is getting some peppermint oil as well.

I will keep you informed.

Joe

post #10 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have something similar to this to plug in inside my house. Plugs into a regular wall outlet. I can say that it did absolutely nothing to help with mice in the house. We live out in the country and battle the mice every year. So far nothing expensive has been messed up yet.... knock on wood

2002 7.3 CCSB 4x4 XLT. 4" exhaust, wicked wheel, hydra tuner, 6637 filter mod.
2004 6.0 CCSB FX4 Lariat. 5" exhaust, KC stage 2 turbo, airdog fuel pump, CAI, head studs, EGR delete, 6" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode