Steering box is loose, which one should I get? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering box is loose, which one should I get?

My steering box is about shot and a few years ago I've always heard that redhead steering boxes are the way to go and recently I've been hearing they suck. I seen a post about a guy putting in a 2012 steering box, didn't know that was possible but then the thread spirled into redhead vs non redhead lol. What steering box should I be looking for? My truck is lifted on 37x13.5. I don't do any towing or anything, now it just hauls tools when they won't fit in the Prius.

Also I have tried to adjust it to no avail and I did confirm that the shaft has play going into the box but nothing coming out of the box and the tie rods look good so I'm confident the box is bad.

2005 F-350 Lariat, studded, Sinister diesel EGR delete, Sinister diesel coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, Banks ram air intake, SCT X4 tuner, blue spring, EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 4" lift, 08 style mirrors, 35x12.5R20 Toyo RT

SOLD:
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch FX4 crew cab short bed
4" flood lights for back up lights, High idle switch, 2008-16 tail lights, 2011-16 style 6.0 Powerstroke badging, Edge Insight CTS2, Blue spring mod, Viofo A119 dash cam, 275/70R18 BFG KO2, 2017 style mirrors, 2.5" lift coils, F-350 blocks in the rear, Riffraff CAC boots, Backup camera with spot lights in the rear, SCT X4 tuner, Fab Fours black steel series bumper with pre-runner guard, Mishimoto coolant filter, 4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, 7.3L Fan clutch (Hayden 2835), Spyder LED tube projector headlights

2011 F-350 King Ranch FX4 crew cab long bed 325/65R18 BFG KO2, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, Steelcraft Elevation Bullnose Front Bumper, 20" front light bar, MBRP 4" DPF delete competition pipe, SCT GTX tuner with Tyrant tunes, Rough Country 1.5" leveling kit, Auxbeam LED headlights and fog lights, platinum style grill, black mirror lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 03:56 AM
Love all, Trust a Few...

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Blue top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@loxdce
post #3 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Also, do you have an aftermarket stabilizer? I just put on a dual Bilstein stabilizer kit and it made a world of difference for my steering. If you don't, I would suggest that you install some sort of kit when replacing your steering box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 715 Post(s)
Quoted: 4004 Post(s)
some companies also sell an all new housing box with upgraded bearing area ( 05-9/07 Ford F250/F350 BIG BORE XD Steering Gear(Spline Input)

I have had the OEM box for 155,000 miles and all of that with 37's

i did have a lot of box slop when i bought it. but mine adjusted out ( 3 full turns of the adjuster done in increments over a few days )

when I need a box I may get one from PSC that is ported and capped for ram assist in case I ever want to add that

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Garage
I'll look into the blue top, I've seen a couple people recommending them.

I do have a single stabilizer, very old and I'm assuming just like my old shocks it's just there for looks lol

What is ram assist? Will I have to take the pitman arm off to do it? I know I will to do the box but I want to minimize the amount of times I do it lol, so if it has to be removed to do it then I'd probably do it while everything is off.

2005 F-350 Lariat, studded, Sinister diesel EGR delete, Sinister diesel coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, Banks ram air intake, SCT X4 tuner, blue spring, EGT sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 4" lift, 08 style mirrors, 35x12.5R20 Toyo RT

SOLD:
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch FX4 crew cab short bed
4" flood lights for back up lights, High idle switch, 2008-16 tail lights, 2011-16 style 6.0 Powerstroke badging, Edge Insight CTS2, Blue spring mod, Viofo A119 dash cam, 275/70R18 BFG KO2, 2017 style mirrors, 2.5" lift coils, F-350 blocks in the rear, Riffraff CAC boots, Backup camera with spot lights in the rear, SCT X4 tuner, Fab Fours black steel series bumper with pre-runner guard, Mishimoto coolant filter, 4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe exhaust, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, 7.3L Fan clutch (Hayden 2835), Spyder LED tube projector headlights

2011 F-350 King Ranch FX4 crew cab long bed 325/65R18 BFG KO2, 18x8.5 American Eagle Alloy Hardrock series 0168, Steelcraft Elevation Bullnose Front Bumper, 20" front light bar, MBRP 4" DPF delete competition pipe, SCT GTX tuner with Tyrant tunes, Rough Country 1.5" leveling kit, Auxbeam LED headlights and fog lights, platinum style grill, black mirror lights
post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ford View Post
I'll look into the blue top, I've seen a couple people recommending them.

I do have a single stabilizer, very old and I'm assuming just like my old shocks it's just there for looks lol

What is ram assist? Will I have to take the pitman arm off to do it? I know I will to do the box but I want to minimize the amount of times I do it lol, so if it has to be removed to do it then I'd probably do it while everything is off.
Lol, whoever owned my truck before just cut mine off...

So I replaced with this: https://superlift.com/product-detail...RoChZQQAvD_BwE

These are supposed to be really nice, too: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/98...BoCUJEQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode