4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-30-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TURBO ISSUES/low boost

Ok guys! I use to be a member but sold my truck but have had another 6.0 for a yr.
Ok let's get to it.....just did headstuds/gaskets. Did STC kit, stand pipes and dummy plugs, KC turbo 360 rebuild kit as well as a balanced kit and I cleaned the turbo thoroughly. Pretty much everything on the top end is done. Not that it matters, but I have installed the Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler/filter system.
Anyways, truck runs great, starts right up cold and hot and idles great. I've replaced the MAP, EBP AND IAT sensors. I have replaced the MAP tube and cleaned the nipple. I'm getting the P0299 code, no low end boost and is ridiculously throaty at idle but has absolutely no power.
I have purchased another VGT SOLENOID but havent installed it. I've read about the turbo/vgt relearn but have read that its ONLY for 03&04.
I'm trying to figure where to go next....replace the VGT SOLENOID? Relearn?
The only codes I'm getting are P1000, P0299, and 2 codes for the fan bc I have deleted the pcm controlled fan and went with the 7.3 fan and adapter.

Needs some help guys! I appreciate anything/info you can throw my way. Ask any questions you need to.
Oh, and the cac boots are good. This is a turbo issue of some kind. Again, at idle its throaty, absolutely NO whistle and I have a KC 10 blade installed.

Sorry that my post is all over the place....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 08:08 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage
Are you building boost at all (any load/RPM) or just not at low RPMs?

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #3 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can get up around 5-6 psi full throttle and that's not going anywhere. I'm pulling the turbo off again this afternoon to see if I screwed up bc there isnt much left to replace except wiring harness or turbo or possible pcm issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Garage
EBP/MAP/BARO all within 0.5psi of each other KOEO (~ -14.5psi depending on elevation)?
MAP sensor clear of gunk?
MAP sensor hose clear of gunk and free of cracks, splits, etc.?
MAP sensor hose nipple on intake manifold clear of gunk?
EBP sensor clear of gunk?
EBP sensor tube clear of gunk?
EBP sensor tube fitting on exhaust manifold clear of gunk?
If you unplug the VGT solenoid, does the exhaust note change or stay the throaty rumble of a V8?
Did you pull the VGT plunger out of the back of the solenoid housing? If so, it might be indexed incorrectly...check youtube for Diesel Tech Ron's video of indexing a VGT turbo from a 6.0.

Report back...

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #5 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Before reinstalling the intake I had it cleaned correctly, its spotless inside. I have made sure ths map nipple and ebp tube were clean and clear.
MAP, EBP & IAT sensors are brand new motorcraft. So, unless defective out the box they should be good. Map tube brand new.
When it comes to psi, my SCT Livewire does read psi. It offers a few different forms of measurement, maybe putting them on the same will be close enough? If theres another way to read the psi let me know.
I did NOT remove the plunger from the turbo, simply bc I didnt have a 6mm bolt. So unless it's possible for it to get moved(indexed wrong) on it's own it should be good.
I replaced the VGT solenoid. As for it being plugged in or unplugged, there is absolutely no difference.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Old School

Garage
Have you ruled out a massive exhaust leak? Like the Y pipe isn't hooked up correctly? "ridiculously throaty" sounds like it could be suspect.

KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #7 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well ANYTHING is possible at this time but I feel confident it's not the issue, simply for the fact that when I was reconnecting the exhaust/y-pipe I loosely connected it to the manifolds first then snuggled it up with turbo, clamped it down (not snug) and then tightened the exhaust at the manifolds then went back and tightened down the clamp. Is it possible theres a leak, theres always a possibility but this method has never failed me. I havent been in any rush getting my truck back together, taking my time making sure everything is torqued to spec and on correctly. I've climbed on top and had my gf idle up and slightly rev to see if I could possibly feel a leak, didnt feel any but I cant rule crap out.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Old School

Garage
Yeah, it would be hard to believe an exhaust leak that bad would go unnoticed, but stranger things have happened. Just throwing it out there since it sounds like you are covering all of your bases. When I am troubleshooting issues and I've exhausted (no pun intended) everything I can think of, an old saying my grandfather would tell me comes to mind. "If you've looked in all the places it should be, start looking in the places it shouldn't be."

post #9 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Eight posts in and still no mention of the Year and Model -- should be one of the first things in the OP

Check the VGT pigtail for 12 volts and inspect the female terminals

Ohm the solenoid to see if it is working

LPOP building any pressure?(need a gauge) -- that is what operates the VGT

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,086 Times in 1,014 Posts
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
All good points above.

Also, have you pressure tested the CAC side? Just because the boots are good doesn't mean the intercooler isn't ruptured or the plastic cold side isn't split. I'm assuming it's a 2007 based on the username.
jokester00 and Hydro like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode