Replacing all lifters during HG job..crazy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing all lifters during HG job..crazy?

Hello all-I wanted to see if it was a waste to even think about going through the trouble of removing all the necessary pieces(transmission, rear plate, and branch tubes) to replace the back 8 lifters(might as well replace the branch tubes while I am there) while doing a cab on head gasket job.

A couple of the main reasons for being tempted to go through all this trouble is 1. age and 2. mileage of the truck(built 09/05 and 235k miles) and the fact that I don't want tear down this far again anytime soon. I attached a TSB showing the procedure of how to replace the branch tube(in the off-chance it ever goes bad) and it seems like a pain with the heads on. I feel like it would be foolish to not change the branch tube out..right?

So..am I crazy or illogical for thinking about taking on this boatload of additional work to replace all the lifters? From reading past threads, 6.4 pushrods and new lifters definitely help but the "emissions" factory camshaft seems to be the item blamed most for lifter failure.

Or should I just the replace the front lifters and hope for the best on the rear?

As a side note, I have had the truck sidelined due to fuel in the coolant so Kill Devil Diesel heads are going to be ordered in a couple weeks. The truck already has a BPD air to oil cooler and I was planning on doing a full service of the tranmission(fluids and 6.4 pan/filter) and transfer case(fluids). Kill Devil Diesel does offer a stage 1 long block for $6,800 but I am just not sure I want to pay that considering this motor should have a good bit of life left in it.

Thanks and let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford TSB08-9-9 - Hard Start No Start HPOP Diagnosis.pdf (434.5 KB, 9 views)

2006 F250 KR 4x4(09/05 Build Date)235k Miles-Studded, BPD Oil Cooler, CAT ELC, Scangauge II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
I would replace them. I lost a lifter on number 8 in my old engine somewhere about 180k. I would replace lifters and get new push rods from KDD when you get the heads.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
post #3 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
This is only an opinion (ie no real facts behind it that I am aware of), but I think the cam shaft issues were more common in 03 and maybe 04 engines. I am at apprx. 220k miles on my 06 and not particularly worried.

Hopefully more knowledgeable folks will jump in.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
This is only an opinion (ie no real facts behind it that I am aware of), but I think the cam shaft issues were more common in 03 and maybe 04 engines. I am at apprx. 220k miles on my 06 and not particularly worried.

Hopefully more knowledgeable folks will jump in.
For what its worth, mine is an 03.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
post #5 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Do it all the way or not at all is my opinion. Definitely change the branch tubes and with that many miles I'd even consider the HPOP. The round style that we have is known to fail around your mileage mark....or so I was told.

This is where I got mine from and so far so good. 6.0 L Ford Power Stroke Diesel HD Lifter Set

Good Luck
letsmow10 likes this.

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joe

post #6 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 09:12 AM

I guess I should clarify my thoughts a little. Poor maintenance can play a part in camshaft (and lifter) failure and I am sure excessive engine hours can also. That said, I would think that at least 350k miles should be achievable under proper maintenance practices. Excessive idling can be an issue, but primarily if it contributes to poor maintenance (excessive hours on engine oil and/or fuel dilution of the oil). Additionally, I absolutely hate to see engines w/ excessive oil temperature. I know the upper limit for Ford is over 250*F for the oil temp, but IMO I hate to see over 220*F.

A lot of issues w/ our 6.0's are magnified when engine coolant and oil temperatures get high.
jokester00 likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 11-21-2019 at 07:15 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did purchase this truck a little over a year ago and have only put a few thousand miles on it. I purchased it not knowing the oil cooler needed replacement so I have no idea how long it had been run at not optimal temperatures (even though CAT ELC was already running in the truck when I bought it).

Also-interesting note on the HPOP, I thought this later style(05-07) was robust and did not have a high failure rate but at this mileage/age I guess anything is susceptible. In the back of my mind I thought if the HPOP proved to be a problem, it was accessible and did not require an intense tear down to replace later.

I guess I need to budget for purchasing the rear main seal tool now as well...

2006 F250 KR 4x4(09/05 Build Date)235k Miles-Studded, BPD Oil Cooler, CAT ELC, Scangauge II
post #8 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM

Your 06 engine (built 09-06) has the more reliable HPOP. hard to say how long it will last. I would make sure that the STC fitting has been updated though.

Edit - here is an interesting opinion on lifter/cam damage (in addition to maintenance related issues):

"//www.*************.com/ford-powerstroke-03-07-6-0l/116908-ford-6-0-lifter-failure.html"

Just add https: at the first and "diesel bombers" without a space for the asterisks.

Also:

http://www.newenglandperformanceprod...ine-parts.html
jokester00 likes this.

Mark
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 11-21-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Interesting thought...Does anyone know what the stock PSI rate is for the valve springs? KDD has "Stock Plus" valve springs advertised at 80 PSI.

BTW-I just googled the last phrase of that link "ford-powerstroke-03-07-6-0l/116908-ford-6-0-lifter-failure" to find that article since the link wasn't working for me.
bismic likes this.

post #10 of 18 Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would be careful flirting with valve train components like heavier springs and pushrods etc. If your running a stock cam and not
going for a high revving ( horsepower ) set up , I would put brand new stock lifters ( and guides ) plus 6.4 pushrods and be done with it .
Just remember one rocker opens 2 valves and springs .... just my thoughts . I'm sure I'll get flamed .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode