Replacing oil cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought a sinister diesel oil cooler out of being new and not doing my research until recent. I was wanting to know until I can buy an OEM oil cooler since I’m currently tight on money would it be safe to run the sinister one for a bit or is there anything I can do to clean my current oil cooler to buy me some time for the replacement upgraded oem one? I don’t know my temps yet in the current stock cooler as I haven’t installed my edge monitor and wiring harnesses yet but I already have everything taken apart down to the injectors and I wanted to finish it all before the temps drop and snow hits as I don’t have a garage that my lifted 6.0 will fit in. My truck has been sitting that way for well over a week now as I was waiting on the sinister one to come in along side my STC upgrade.

I thought about just returning it but I’m sure they’d just give me instore credit or some BS which is pointless to me. Just need y'all's opinion on this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
As far as the Sinister oil cooler, if it's still boxed, I would think most places would provide you a full refund.
john galt and TwinExcursions like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
I wouldn't install it.
john galt and TwinExcursions like this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
I went with an aftermarket cooler. Probably a mistake, but I would say that it's hard to justify what the significant difference would be. I believe earlier aftermarket ones used cheaper seals. IMO, the most crucial part of the oil cooler is the seals. If installed improperly and if the seals aren't just right, you can forget it. The main oil cooler cover seal is the most intricate and it needs to be seated in the cover just right to make sure it's not rolled to one side or will pinch once installed. If you don't get that right, it's going to fail, or mix fluid, or leak. The second most important thing is the flush procedure. If you can get as much crap out of the cooling system prior to installing the new unit, the better. Flush the radiator with out the hoses connected. Flush the heater core and the degas bottle with the hoses disconnected. The cheaper coolers look like they could catch more debris easier than the OE unit due to the imperfections of the layered plates of the cooler. The OE unit had a more consistent and uniform pattern when I compared mine. But so far with about 5K miles. My aftermarket cooler is doing fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,069 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm with @bismic and @Spirit . If it's still in the box, return it and get with Mike or one of the guys at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. They have about as low a price as you'll find on OEM and may be able to expedite shipping. @fordsvtparts

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #6 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
"I don’t know my temps yet in the current stock cooler as I haven’t installed my edge monitor"

Man, check those temps. You might not even need a new oil cooler. I have the original cooler in my truck and my temps are still within specs, actually better since I did a oil cooler backflush.

PS. I didn't read the part about it being torn down!

2004 Excursion
183K and purring, Toyo R/T 285s, 4" Flo Pro, Atlas-40 FCIM tune, SCT X4 with looney, RiffRaff coolant filter/CAC boots, Hewitt/Marshall gauges (Pyro/Turbo/Fuel/EOT/ECT), Nations TAD-185 alternator, Big 3 cable/zoodad mods, Mobile 1, Delo ELC, when does it end?!?
post #7 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 09:53 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
the only thing from sinister diesel on my truck is a coolant filter kit and that only because i got it free with four filters
even that i had to use a ridiculous amount of pipe dope and teflon tape both to get it to stop leaking.... i did get it to seal. and it has worked for 5 or 6 years now but i wouldnt trust them for anything. quality is not part of their name. their only claim to fame is pretty blue parts...
which they actually realized and tried to ban others from making blue parts at one point in short...yes they tried to patent ford blue
in short...i hate those guys
that said if its in the box i would think even they would take it back.
if you are able grab a cooler relocation kit from bulletproof or diesel site just because why go through all that twice when you can make it easy on yourself...
i get time being of the essence i am on borrowed time myself with needing to get a few things done but i gotta have my truck to finish getting firewood i should have finished a month and a half ago
in short @G8orFord nailed it get ahold of @fordsvtparts he will treat you right and get you what you need at a reasonable price.
all said and done you dont want to have to tear into this again and just get it done right the first time
fordsvtparts likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john galt For This Useful Post:
fordsvtparts (11-19-2019)
post #8 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 09:58 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
oh and welcome to the org family

lots of good and experienced folks here dealing with the eccentricities of the 6.0
i still have a ton of stuff i want to do to my truck but with what i have learned here i have had 6 trouble free years in a truck that is an absolute blast to drive and doesn't require dpf or any of that ridiculous bs to function

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #9 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
IMO, put everything back together, and try an oil cooler flush if the temps are bad when you get the edge on. I have spent thousands of dollars on this truck as a result of me trying to fix what is not broken. If I remember right, I've only changed my cooler once, torn down to the injectors means that you're ready to take the intake off and disconnect the EGR to get to the cooler.

IF you decide to install the Sinister oil cooler, you may see a delta in excess of 15 right out of the box. IMO, the "improved" with the wider passages don't give it enough time in the cooler to cool it down. So, if you can accept that when you finally install the cooler and do an awesome job, just to see the delta exceeded, by all means install it. People have said they've contacted Sinister, and they said the excessive delta is fine. I don't know. I do know that the truck may defuel at 254 EOT, so you probably won't see that slick. Towing, I don't know.
john galt likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #10 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
And just for the record, not that it means much, but I didn't use the Sinister cooler. I'm using a DieselSite oil cooler from Thoroughbred Diesel.
john galt likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode