Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Switching to Mach7 from SCT but wanting to keep my EGR code deleted

906 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  JustinOOO9 
#1 ·
2006 F-250 FX4 6.0L

I am switching from my old SCT tuner to a brand new Mach7 from Hypermax. The Mach7 does not have a delete for the EGR code. Is there a tune for the SCT that ONLY removes that code that I can flash to before hooking up the Mach7 to keep the CEL off? How would I get said tune?

#2 ·
No can do on the SCT for deleting EGR and then tuning with your Hypermax on top of it - that's known as "stacking' tunes, and more than likely, your truck won't run correctly and have weird, funky issues. Just be aware that SCT is known as one of (if not THE) best platform for tuning the 6.0. I don't have any experience with the Hypermax, but I do know that if you plan on getting custom tunes, you might wanna check with the tune writer first - a lot of them only write tunes for certain platforms (SCT being one of the biggest).

-jokester

#3 ·
Could I get someone to tune the EGR code out only on my stock configuration then install the Mach7? I know the guy who made the Mach7 and he said the only reason they didn't put a EGR code delete in it is because they designed it early on when you could just unplug your EGR and it wouldn't throw a code. I know I don't want to stack but I don't want to deal with my CEL being on all the time for something that doesn't matter. I need to hook up my EGT probe before I install the Mach7 anyways so I have some time before I am going to make the switch.

#4 ·
Ok update to this thread because I figured it out.

You can put the TRANS ONLY tune on which will not affect any fuel timing or VGT control through the ECU and not make any shift changes and you can then have the SCT tuner tune out only the EGR. I did this and installed my Mach7 and have had no issues with it so far. The Mach7 doesn't change the ECU at all either it just intercepts the signals going to the FICM and VGT solenoid and other controls and modifies what the ECU is telling them what to do. Thats how it is able to change maps while driving.

#8 · (Edited)
Justin0009 is absolutely correct....that was the premise for my question.

The days of BANKS, bully dog, on the fly and stacking tuners is a thing of the past. It is your truck and you can do what you want, but you talk to ANY custom tuner/writer worth a grain of salt and they will tell you the same. With custom tuning from a reputable writer EVERYTHING can be tweaked to suit your truck setup (studs/no studs, bigger turbo, injectors and the list goes on) and use. These canned type tuners are going to destroy your truck in the long run if not sooner.....I can speak from experience or lack of. I owned my truck since new and started with this type of tuner. Within 1 month's use.....blown head gaskets.

Custom tuning involving PCM/ TCM is the only safe way to use these trucks. As it was explained to me, this is like your desktop PC. You install a program, let it reboot and do it's thing and then you are good to go.

Good Luck

Reactions: nine9six
#9 ·
My dad ran a Mach7 on his Excursion for about 10 years on a stock motor and never had any issues. He usually just switched between 2 and 4 and never used the super hot tunes but his trans and engine were fine. I have a Jasper rebuilt trans and a blueprinted/studded etc. engine. I plan to use this tuner the same way my dad did and maybe turn it up to 5 or 6 when towing but that will be it. The Mach7 doesn't change your ECU at all it just intercepts the signals from the ECU and changes them before they go their destinations, its just a jumper on the harness basically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.