• 1 Post By ChrisSki
  • 1 Post By ChrisSki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
jrh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant pressure sensor - where to plumb it in?

I'm going to install a coolant pressure sensor to keep track of pressures in cab- where is the best place to plumb it? right off the radiator hose that goes to the degas bottle?

I have a coolant bypass filter installed (XDP) - should i put it in a "T" before the coolant goes to the filter? that comes off the heater hose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Here is where i added mine

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
I plumbed into the 3/8Ē hose going into the degas bottle with a barbed t and worm clamps. Mine was temporary, so I closed the hood on the hose and ran it under the wiper to watch. If it were permanent, I would have put a 5 volt sensor at the end of the T and hooked it to my edge.
kcoyner likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
coolant pressure gauge recommendation.

Search for this post Info on installing pressure gauge
post #5 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
jrh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertranger View Post
Here is where i added mine

Does that point measure pressure before or after the filter?
post #6 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Garage
I believe after. It really shouldn't matter since it is closed system so pressure will be the same throughout the system.

post #7 of 10 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
I plumbed into the 3/8Ē hose going into the degas bottle with a barbed t and worm clamps. Mine was temporary, so I closed the hood on the hose and ran it under the wiper to watch. If it were permanent, I would have put a 5 volt sensor at the end of the T and hooked it to my edge.
I'm way out of the loop on this stuff but I'm assuming you would use the universal sensor input and then use the software to configure. Can you tell me how that works? What information do you need to enter? etc.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Garage
You can get the sensors on Amazon, but you need the harness from the edge to hook to the sensors, then play with the settings on the edge or hook the edge up to your computer to set it up

post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
The sensor from Edge was the 0-100 PSIG, 1/8 NPT (98607). I would have had to order from edge and request a wet sensor since their website says they ship dry sensors only. It hooks to the universal input system (98605). I already have the 98605, and it has two sensor inputs, and I only have one hooked up, so I would not have to buy that.

The Edge gets pricey quick to add sensors, because you need an EAS input like the universal input system to add the sensor to. This makes it about twice as expensive a youíd think to add a sensor. If youíre not monitoring much, Pillar gauges may be cheaper. To get the edge to where its reading the coolant pressure may run $700 to buy from scratch. Adding EGT an fuel pressure can be an extra $400.

I canít remember which software adds the sensor whether itís my style or fusion.

I did my test with the analog gauge strapped under the window, and after I vented the thermal pressure, I towed 11k for an hour and a half including up a 6% grade, and the PSI was only 2 or 3, and up the hill reached 6. I was happy with that and decided not to install the Edge sensor.
kcoyner likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisSki For This Useful Post:
kcoyner (Today)
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 04:15 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
The sensor from Edge was the 0-100 PSIG, 1/8 NPT (98607). I would have had to order from edge and request a wet sensor since their website says they ship dry sensors only. It hooks to the universal input system (98605). I already have the 98605, and it has two sensor inputs, and I only have one hooked up, so I would not have to buy that.

The Edge gets pricey quick to add sensors, because you need an EAS input like the universal input system to add the sensor to. This makes it about twice as expensive a youíd think to add a sensor. If youíre not monitoring much, Pillar gauges may be cheaper. To get the edge to where its reading the coolant pressure may run $700 to buy from scratch. Adding EGT an fuel pressure can be an extra $400.

I canít remember which software adds the sensor whether itís my style or fusion.

I did my test with the analog gauge strapped under the window, and after I vented the thermal pressure, I towed 11k for an hour and a half including up a 6% grade, and the PSI was only 2 or 3, and up the hill reached 6. I was happy with that and decided not to install the Edge sensor.
Thanks!! That's more than I would want to spend for sure. I have the EGT probe installed but I have pillar gauges for OP and FP. If I ever suspect HGs again, I'll plumb in one like you did.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in