LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Time Diesel Owner

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new for me 2004 Ford F-250, 6.0L Turbo, Super Cab. It has 233,000 miles. I started a thread in the motor problems section when it died on me after highway driving. Could not get it started, had it towed and a couple days later started right up. I do not have it on the road right now so I am trying to make sure it is road worthy while I have the convenience of a spare vehicle. I have done just about everything on all my vehicles, brake, fuel injectors, head gasket, water pump, etc. However, they are all gas. So, in my new adventure here I was looking for some advice on what I can/should do for a diesel. Whenever I bought a new gas vehicle, I would change the oil, check spark plugs, coolant, etc.

First thing I plan to do is change the oil/filter and fuel filters. Are there other things I should be doing?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, one other request.

I want to get a service manual. Any suggestions? AllData?
post #3 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
As a first time diesel owner, you need to learn some things about the 6.0. From your post, I'm assuming you didn't know much about these trucks prior to owning it. Well, you're about to learn the good, the bad, and the down right ugly truth. these trucks can be your best friend and your best enemy. My first suggestion to any 6.0L owner is get a monitor like the torque pro app for Android phone users or a ScanGauge. It's crucial to keep an eye on temps, voltages, and the elusive oil system. Next, take a day, and a big bag of popcorn and go look up Diesel Tech Ron on YouTube. He is a good go to source for all types of issues that were common for the 6.0L. You might find yourself having nightmares of all that can go wrong afterwards, but, if you keep up maintenance, and for God's sake, get a monitor, you can catch a lot of issues before they turn into catastrophes. This site also is a good source for a lot of info, and the service manual for the engine and the 6.0 "bible" can be found in the sticky section. On a positive note, these trucks can be made rock solid once certain repairs/upgrades are done.

Good luck
Hydro likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you. No experience other than my brother's 03 F350. I am sure I will be cursing and praising depending on the day.

For monitor. I have an Apple not an Android. I do have a USB ODB2 connector cable to connect my laptop. I downloaded ForScan to the laptop and will connect this afternoon.
post #5 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennison View Post
Thank you. No experience other than my brother's 03 F350. I am sure I will be cursing and praising depending on the day.

For monitor. I have an Apple not an Android. I do have a USB ODB2 connector cable to connect my laptop. I downloaded ForScan to the laptop and will connect this afternoon.
Hit post too quick.

Can you recommend repairs/upgrades?
post #6 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennison View Post
Hit post too quick.

Can you recommend repairs/upgrades?
Save your money, only fix what's necessary for now. Depending on what needs fixed, you might upgrade in the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked oil and it is overfull. I then found a link to a TSB "TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: FORD POWERSTROKE 6.0 L RUNS ROUGH AND/OR LOW POWER INJECTOR DIAGNOSTICS"....this seems to be similar to the issue I am facing.

Instead of going through all the diagnostics, should I assume there is a leaky injector? If I do that, should I buy the O-ring kits and just rebuild the injectors to see if that fixes the problem? The reason I ask this is that I do not have the special tools they call for in the TSB. I have time and the kits are relatively cheap. I hate to throw parts at issues, but, sometimes it seems to be the easier path.....

Any thoughts on that?????
post #8 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cannot post the link until I have more posts
post #9 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most of the time from what I have observed on this forum unless you are well verse in rebuilding these injectors you are much better off just ordering new or reman ones. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be chiming in soon

2016 F250 SRW Crew Cab. All stock so far.

Sold 2005 F250 SRW Crew Cab
AFE Cold Air Intake, KC Stage 2 Turbo, ARP Studs, 4" turbo back exhaust, and SCT with TSD tunes.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Personally, I wouldn't rebuild them. My advice is not to assume anything. You need to get a monitor. Do some research. Look at Diesel Tech Ron's videos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode