Mysterious Coolant loss in bulletproofed deleted 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mysterious Coolant loss in bulletproofed deleted 6.0

Ok so I have a new-to-me Bulletproofed 6.0 for about 2 months now. Truck is a 2005 and engine has 25k on rebuild. It has ford racing heads, egr delete, brand new turbo, aftermarket (banks?) intercooler, cold air intake, lime blasted block, SCT tuner (I keep it on the 50 over tow tune), ARP head studs and main bolts, etc.. dude had alot done to it, it was his personal truck and he owns a diesel shop.

The Issue I am having (or think I'm having) is my coolant level in the Degas bottle seems lower than normal and my hot/cold fluctuation difference seems vastly different than stock. at cold level the coolant sits about 2"-3" from the hose at the bottom of the bottle and hot it sits about 3" above that. If I add coolant up to the MIN line it pukes it out I think. When I first saw this I did not even think there was any coolant in the bottle since it was so far down so I added about a gallon to the MAX line, I did not know that the MIN is the new MAX.

My question is: could my motor being built and having non stock heads make my coolant level lines not correct for me? I also have noticed that my Degas cap hisses after running the motor long enough for the thermostat to open, could my cap just be bad and puking out too much too early? EOT and ECT never get more than like 5 degrees apart when at operating temp and neither ever get over 205 even if ambient temp is 80 degrees outside. Coolant never makes bubbling noises. Is there anywhere else the coolant could be getting out? I can leave cardboard under it for a week and it doesnt leak but a drop of oil and absolutely no coolant so if it is leaking its only doing it while running. It isn't smoking excessively at startup or anything and the oil looks perfectly normal. I have a hard time believing that this proofed motor with 25k on it has a bad head gasket but I guess it is a 6.0 after all...

Could I be leaking from the EGR bypass up on top only when running and its evaporating off??

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker_01 View Post
Ok so I have a new-to-me Bulletproofed 6.0 for about 2 months now. Truck is a 2005 and engine has 25k on rebuild. It has ford racing heads, egr delete, brand new turbo, aftermarket (banks?) intercooler, cold air intake, lime blasted block, SCT tuner (I keep it on the 50 over tow tune), ARP head studs and main bolts, etc.. dude had alot done to it, it was his personal truck and he owns a diesel shop.

The Issue I am having (or think I'm having) is my coolant level in the Degas bottle seems lower than normal and my hot/cold fluctuation difference seems vastly different than stock. at cold level the coolant sits about 2"-3" from the hose at the bottom of the bottle and hot it sits about 3" above that. If I add coolant up to the MIN line it pukes it out I think. When I first saw this I did not even think there was any coolant in the bottle since it was so far down so I added about a gallon to the MAX line, I did not know that the MIN is the new MAX.

My question is: could my motor being built and having non stock heads make my coolant level lines not correct for me? I also have noticed that my Degas cap hisses after running the motor long enough for the thermostat to open, could my cap just be bad and puking out too much too early? EOT and ECT never get more than like 5 degrees apart when at operating temp and neither ever get over 205 even if ambient temp is 80 degrees outside. Coolant never makes bubbling noises. Is there anywhere else the coolant could be getting out? I can leave cardboard under it for a week and it doesnt leak but a drop of oil and absolutely no coolant so if it is leaking its only doing it while running. It isn't smoking excessively at startup or anything and the oil looks perfectly normal. I have a hard time believing that this proofed motor with 25k on it has a bad head gasket but I guess it is a 6.0 after all...

Could I be leaking from the EGR bypass up on top only when running and its evaporating off??

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
Are you seeing white residue anywhere? If so, that would be a good indication of where it's leaking.

When you pull the oil fill cap off does it have a muddy appearance? If so, that would indicate water present in the oil.

Also, are you adding coolant often?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mbsfield18 For This Useful Post:
Tanker_01 (11-08-2019)
post #3 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Put a pressure gauge on the degas bottle. See what the pressure is when the degas bottle cap begins to leak.
joe blow and jokester00 like this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bismic For This Useful Post:
Tanker_01 (11-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Sorry man but this sounds like problems to me. Could it be that's why the truck was for sale? WTH are "Ford racing heads"? Are they o-ringed?

k
joe blow likes this.

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kcoyner For This Useful Post:
Tanker_01 (11-08-2019)
post #5 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Get a new motorcraft degas bottle cap they are cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50dan For This Useful Post:
Tanker_01 (11-08-2019)
post #6 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Like bismic mentioned you have to see what type of pressure you're building when the engine is running and in a problem system you will build over 10lbs pretty quick just high idling in the driveway. If possible add a remote pressure gauge and monitor while driving, especially on hard throttle runs. If you can't do any of that, go drive it and once you get home, slowly remove the degas bottle cap (carefully) and you should get a light pshhhhhhh if it is much more than that you have issues.

If it is leaking the coolant (gold or red not sure what you have) you will definitely see residue.

Caps do go bad so don't discount the possibility.

2004/Kill Devil O-ringed heads/Studs(finally)/Warren 175-30's/ADII/KC StageII/BPD everything/ODAWG S2R Ported Intake/CX racing IC/Gearhead Tunes/WPE RR...........FINALLY DONE and (still) NO LEAKS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joe

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe blow For This Useful Post:
Tanker_01 (11-08-2019)
post #7 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a new motorcraft cap on it as of Wednesday this week. I will have to check the receipts for the heads that are on it he gave me a big folder for all the parts that were put on. I actually texted the guy and he said I could bring it back to him sometime next week and he will pressure check it for me, he builds these trucks for a living and he was really surprised to hear that it was losing coolant. I have not tried the fog-on-mirror check at the tailpipe yet to see if I have vapor in my exhaust, I guess I can try that. I have driven it on multiple 5+ hour trips and it does not run hot or anything. It has lost about 1 qt in the last month so it isn't like I have had to add gallons. When I first noticed it I sent him a text and he told me he always kept the coolant down about 2-3" above the bottom of the tank because otherwise it would puke it out. That doesn't make any sense to me though because the head level of the system shouldn't change that much when hot. I went ahead and filled the coolant tank because I wanted to see how much it was actually losing and thats when I discovered it was losing about 1 qt a month. It seems to lose it at the same rate whether I am driving it often or not.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
When the coolant heats up, it expands. 7 gallons will expand a fair amount. That expansion compresses the gas in the vapor space of the degas bottle. The smaller the volume of the vapor space, the higher the pressure will rise as the coolant expands. When the pressure rises above the rated pressure of the cap, it pukes.

Ford states that the level should be at the "minimum" mark on the side of the degas bottle. If you don't have a minimum mark, then it is about an inch below the maximum.

If you have to lower the level more than that to live with pressure (minimize the puking), then it is just a bandaid for another problem.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 11-08-2019 at 05:54 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bismic For This Useful Post:
Tanker_01 (11-08-2019)
post #9 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
When the coolant heats up, it expands. 7 gallons will expand a fair amount. That expansion compresses the gas in the vapor space of the degas bottle. The smaller the volume of the vapor space, the higher the pressure will rise as the coolant expands. When the pressure rises above the rated pressure of the cap, it pukes.

Ford states that the level should be at the "minimum" mark on the side of the degas bottle. If you don't have a minimum mark, then it is about an inch below the maximum.

If you have to lower the level more than that to live with pressure (minimize the puking), then it is just a bandaid for another problem.
That all makes sense. So I guess I should assume the worst then?
post #10 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 AM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 700 Post(s)
Quoted: 3934 Post(s)
build your own coolant psi guage and do not trust others that have a dog in the fight

I think your "6.0 Ford Racing heads" have a sealing issue but you will know for sure if you do the test ( like mentioned expansion can be the cause )

and with minimal coolant loss it is not the end of the world .. I have been meaning to redo my heads for years since I can lose a gallon on long pulls ( luckily I can recover this and re use it thanks to a custom degas bottle

6.0 flush pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZMANN For This Useful Post:
Tanker_01 (11-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in