Ford's position on adding a ground from the body to the transmission - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford's position on adding a ground from the body to the transmission

I have seen this come up a few times. Thought I would confirm Ford's position on it.

Ford states:
Do not ground the body to the transmission or transmission crossmember.

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...e7606&v5=False

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 11-06-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Imo, your statement is taking what the document says out of context.

Ford does not want you to ground the aftermarket body, like an ambulance body, to the trans. This does not mean that you cannot run a ground strap from the engine to the transmission.

Regardless, the engine block is grounded to the frame, and the trans is bolted to the block. All you are doing is improving the ground path by providing a wire instead of bolts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Heavy_GD likes this.

2010 HD
post #3 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,024 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionEngine View Post

Ford does not want you to ground the aftermarket body, like an ambulance body, to the trans. This does not mean that you cannot run a ground strap from the engine to the transmission.

Regardless, the engine block is grounded to the frame, and the trans is bolted to the block. All you are doing is improving the ground path by providing a wire instead of bolts.
https://fordbbas.com/home

PrecisionEngine and Chris like this.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Edit (again) - since this is a body builders document and a guide to interfacing w/ the Ford electrical system, I see your point regarding the document.

I still think there is a common theme that improving the ground circuit from the body or frame to the transmission is not necessary or desirable (and I have seen it recommended several times). No electricity is intended to flow through the transmission in the first place.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 11-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #5 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Their statement was simply "don't ground the body to the transmission". They didn't mention an "aftermarket body".

I posted the content as they wrote it.
The document is intended for aftermarket body installers. You cant read stuff out of context.

In addition the document does not say I cannot ground the transmission to the frame or the engine.

2010 HD
post #6 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I see your point on the document's intent - I edited the previous post earlier. The document is entitled General Electrical Practices, but it is included in the Body Builders Advisory Service.

Out of original context or not ..... Since they are saying that you shouldn't ground a second body unit to the transmission, (IMO) they are saying that they want a better grounding location/path. Clearly they don't say that improving the grounding to the existing transmission is a recommended option. I just don't think that (transmission to frame) grounding path is helpful (as some suggest), and certainly not necessary.

Mark
No-start thread:

Last edited by bismic; 11-07-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #7 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 700 Post(s)
Quoted: 3934 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
You cant read stuff out of context.

bismic and SparkyF250 like this.

6.0 flush pdf
post #8 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

lol - Not the first time to read more into something than intended!
Patriot and SparkyF250 like this.

Mark
No-start thread:

post #9 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,116 Times in 2,024 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
At the end of the day, you do not have to add grounds to YOUR trans.

But most 6.0s on the road have corroded and failing grounds, they could use all the help they can get.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #10 of 55 Old 11-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Not only is the trans grounded to the frame through the motor, but it is also grounded through the transfer case, driveshafts, rear axle, etc...

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in