Switching from 5.9 CR to 06-07 6.0 thoughts. - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 Old 11-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
444, I’m going to have to disagree very strongly. While you may have not heard of it, it’s the death of nearly all 325 horse motors.

A LOT of 6.0s are misdiagnosed as headgaskets or egr coolers. Plus, and egr cooler failure is a lack of maintenance on the end user. The oil cooler is a service item with the 6.0 and needs to be treated as such. I’ve never once seen an egr cooler fail where the oil cooler wasn’t the root cause. I’ve probably done 300+ oil coolers and 100+ 6.0 headgasket jobs over the years.

And, in all my years of doing it, I’ve not once replaced ball joints in a gm HD truck. I’ve done a few upgraded control arm sets, seem one ball joint pop out of the control arm, but NEVER for excessive wear. Rarely a cv axle, always u joints on straight axles. And, tie rods are RARELY an issue. It’s almost always an idler/pitman arm issue. I replace a lotttttt of idler and pitman arms. And, this has been fixed in 2011. We aren’t seeing steering wheel play in 11+ trucks until 250-300k miles. People can hate on the ifs suspension, but it’s equally as strong as a straight axle, rides better, handles better, doesn’t death wobble, doesn’t wear out as fast, overall is great.

I’d bet you couldn’t give me one but of factual proof the ifs sucks. My point on this is, quite simply, don’t just take what everyone says and apply it... the 11+ Allison’s are holding equal power to 6r140s. I’m not a huge fan of the Allison, but they’re getting much better.

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

03 LB7 duramax the "daily/tow pig"
Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 11-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
I worked for a company that had a whole fleet of Duramax trucks, ranging from the LB7 to the LMM, the biggest issues with them were injectors, turbo falling apart since its held together by a bad clamp, and the IFS. I guy I know has a 2500 Durmamax and I had to put 3 sets of ball joints, 2 sets of tierods, a pitman arm and idler arm on all in less than 2 years. If you compare the tie rods on a Duramax truck vs a Ford Superduty the Duramax ones look like they belong on a Ford Ranger. A straight axle is far superior to an IFS for strength, there is a reason IFS to straight axle swaps are common, yet going from a straight axle to IFS is rare. As far as I'm concerned GM quit makig HD trucks in 91.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 170,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, KC 300x 63/73/.84 turbo, PHP Hydra, Riff Raff frx,, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CS2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #23 of 29 Old 11-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Yeah, when you install moog parts are similar, you’re going to have a bad time. Just the way it is. No diesel truck is exempt from injector issues. 7.3s, 6.0s are just as bad about it. Let’s not even bring up the 6.4... and the 6.7 injectors are great, but they’re identical to a gm injector.

As far as your hatred towards ifs, it is what it is. Gm ifs suspension is equally as strong as fords straight axle with literally an $80 upgrade. Big whoop. And, because of the way ifs is designed, the parts don’t have to be as big. People do straight axle swaps because they’re under the impression the ifs is junk. I had an 800 rwhp lb7... plenty of 4wd launches... never had an issue... if it’s set up properly, it’s fine. The biggest issue with ifs is people cranking the torsion keys up.

I work on these trucks for a living.. I base my thoughts on experience over hundreds, if not thousands, of trucks. My experience with it trumps one fleet of trucks.

And, some people simply can’t be reckoned with. The thought process of “they just don’t make them like they used to” is asinine to me. You’re right... now they make them ride like a caddy, can actually pull something, has more than 215 hp, quiet, clean, luxurious on the inside, etc. they don’t make them like they used to... they’re 10,000 times better! 😎

06 King Ranch
Fass 200, Custom fuel lines, 225/100s, Thumper stage 2 hpop, WPE stage 3 intake, Mishimoto radiator, Flex a lite fans, BPD water pump, MPD oil cooler relocate kit, Intercooler pipes, Compounds built by me, etc etc etc

05 Eddie Bauer
Resealed entire motor @ 170k miles, new lifters, 6.4 push rods, studs, rebuilt the turbo, IPR egr delete, new injectors, new heads, new ficm board, coolant filter, intercooler tubes, regulated return, bunch of other new parts. Factory exhaust, cat gutted(wife's rig). Livewire with gearhead tunes. Should go a while reliably for her!

Lbz cp3, s475/stock twin kit, built trans, steel driveshft, amsoil bypass, secondary oil cooler built by me, fass, traction bars, trans cooler upgrade, dual alts, straight center link + tie rod sleeves, efi live, transfer flow/tool box tank, 5er hitch, other small upgrades.. and most importantly, STOCK HEADBOLTS! Just rolled 200k miles, twins installed @ 165k, daily driven on a "550 tune" tows 18k on a "475" tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 11-09-2019, 06:16 AM

7.3 injectors will last twice as long as the Duramax ones, the Duramax truck we had needed injectors every 75-100K, 7.3 injecors easily last twice that long, I have seen them with over 300K on the stock injectors. And no the GM IFS isn't nearly as strong as Ford or Ram straight axle.
letsmow10 likes this.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 170,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, KC 300x 63/73/.84 turbo, PHP Hydra, Riff Raff frx,, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CS2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #25 of 29 Old 11-09-2019, 06:32 AM
Hate stupid people

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Sparky924 View Post
Hey guys, new to forum here.

Im curious to know if any of you guys have went from a 5.9 Cummins to a 6.0. I do love my truck [ 04.5 QCSB 3500 SRW] and it is built right and well. The reasons im thinking of trading up is cos the quad cab is getting tight as we have a 1 year old and going to try for another soon enough. The other reason is it is a 6 speed, I love it but my fiancee is not comfortable driving it.

Obviously my main concerns are reliabilty, my mechanic who did all the work to my truck specializes in 6.0s and swears that they are good trucks, just misunderstood. Im looking for something simple, tough, and reliable. Not looking for a money pit.

For those who have had a Cummins and went to the 6.0, have you regretted it?

Thanks in advance
At the end of the day youíll be just fine with either route you go.
Proper maintenance and monitoring on a 6.0 (and your 6.0 friend) youíll be set
Your current truck will do the job to like it has. Newer ones will also

All down to personal preferences. Thatís why itís this is America and you can pursue any path youíd like to

Illiana Strokers DICtator
EFI Live tuned 6.7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 29 Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 AM

The ONLY set of duramax injectors that won’t go 2-300k+ on average is the lb7 engines. 01-04. They’ve been fixed, and a set of them currently will last you your typical 2-300k miles.
I’m sorry about the luck you’ve had.. a gm center link is just as thick as a ford tie rod. And, the gm tie rods can have sleeves installed on them for about $80 and they’re just as thick.... where’s your backing for claiming they aren’t as strong? Rams 13+ axles are TERRIBLE about cracking in about 10+ spots. Can’t be fixed, must replace the entire axle housing. I believe there’s a TSB on it. Throw it up in the ol google.

Fords 99-04 axles are weak as can be. I’ve seen dozens snap the track bar bracket clean off the axle. My wife’s excursion was nearly broke off when I bought it.

Have you seen the 11+ GM ifs suspension? It’s literally the same size as ford/ram tie rods. You never hear about those trucks having issues... I rebuild ford/dodge front ends weekly... yet the only thing I’ve ever replaced on 11+ trucks is idler/pitman, typically at 200k+ miles, and upper control arms because they hit the bump stops when people crank the keys up. We go to cognito ones do eliminate the metal on metal contact.

If you can provide factual evidence to prove any of this wrong, please provide it with a PM, otherwise, I’m done going back and forth on this guys post... it’s silly..

This stuff isn’t as bulletproof as you seem to think it is. Like I said, I have fixed thousands of trucks over the years.... I have seen a lot of things.

06 King Ranch

05 Eddie Bauer

post #27 of 29 Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjames525 View Post
The ONLY set of duramax injectors that wonít go 2-300k+ on average is the lb7 engines. 01-04. Theyíve been fixed, and a set of them currently will last you your typical 2-300k miles.
My work truck has an LMM with 195k and needs it's 3rd set of injectors. Must just be bad luck.
bismic and letsmow10 like this.
post #28 of 29 Old 11-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickjames525 View Post
The ONLY set of duramax injectors that wonít go 2-300k+ on average is the lb7 engines. 01-04. Theyíve been fixed, and a set of them currently will last you your typical 2-300k miles.
Iím sorry about the luck youíve had.. a gm center link is just as thick as a ford tie rod. And, the gm tie rods can have sleeves installed on them for about $80 and theyíre just as thick.... whereís your backing for claiming they arenít as strong? Rams 13+ axles are TERRIBLE about cracking in about 10+ spots. Canít be fixed, must replace the entire axle housing. I believe thereís a TSB on it. Throw it up in the ol google.

Fords 99-04 axles are weak as can be. Iíve seen dozens snap the track bar bracket clean off the axle. My wifeís excursion was nearly broke off when I bought it.

Have you seen the 11+ GM ifs suspension? Itís literally the same size as ford/ram tie rods. You never hear about those trucks having issues... I rebuild ford/dodge front ends weekly... yet the only thing Iíve ever replaced on 11+ trucks is idler/pitman, typically at 200k+ miles, and upper control arms because they hit the bump stops when people crank the keys up. We go to cognito ones do eliminate the metal on metal contact.

If you can provide factual evidence to prove any of this wrong, please provide it with a PM, otherwise, Iím done going back and forth on this guys post... itís silly..

This stuff isnít as bulletproof as you seem to think it is. Like I said, I have fixed thousands of trucks over the years.... I have seen a lot of things.
I have heard that the injectors on the 05+ Duramax trucks aren't as bad, but the LLY, LBZ, and LMM tucks we had needed injectors just as much as the LB7 trucks. The 99-04 Ford axles are very good axles, the track bar brackets breaking is a rust issue, that can happen with any truck, and nothing is bulletproof there is just some designs that are better than others, like how a straight axle is stronger than an IFS.

post #29 of 29 Old 11-10-2019, 06:04 AM

I’m going to say just one thing, I live in Texas where rust doesn’t exist. My wife’s trucks track bar bracket nearly broke off. When it happened it was a bone stock 170k mile truck with stock wheels/tires and ZERO rust.

06 King Ranch

05 Eddie Bauer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode