• 1 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-15-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting 03' 6.0 Issue, Help! PO278

I am aware this has been discussed many times before, however money is tight and I cannot afford to throw parts at the truck at the moment. The motor has Studs, CAI, Alliant 155/30 injectors which are 1 year old, Coolant bypass kit, EGR is deleted, Blue spring mod, 4" turbo back with a muffler, and the fuel filters and oil filters have always been changed with OEM materials, and Rotella t6 with Archoil Fuel and Oil additive. The truck is running the motor and trans safe tune from PHP.

The issue, The truck idles OK with a vibration, you can feel it in your seat, and driving in OD also gives a vibration, almost like a out of balance tire. If you ever so slightly push the accelerator, it will almost buck, as if it was confused. It does this very rarely. It has plenty of power, Starts easily, doesn't smoke anything- ever. Drives well aside from the vibration, I thought it felt off so I pulled the Codes via Insight CTS2, Got a PO278 code. Wiggled the harness, no change. Unplugged #6 Injector, motor immediately began to miss, plugged that back in. All cylinders passed a compression test. FICM voltage never drops below 50. Does not leak oil, coolant, nothing. Some common values at Idle speed are as follows. The ICP looks low to me, so I am suspecting a ICP sensor? Could that cause the code and rough running? I will be conducting a buzz test when my buddy finds his laptop.
IDLE SPEED, warmed up
ICP:580
ICPv:0.9
IPR:22%
RPM:636
FICM sync: 1
FICMv: 50
Delta: 4'
Any and all help is appreciated, have a long trip coming up, and looking to get this resolved quickly. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Since you don't have much money, why not swap #6 and #4 injectors and see if the code follows the injector or stays on #6? I am guessing that it will follow the injector.
jman37 likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 10-15-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-15-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Since you don't have much money, why not swap #6 and #4 injectors and see if the code follows the injector or stays on #6? I am guessing that it will follow the injector.
UPDATE
yes, that was going to be the plan for tonight, however I couldn't shake the feeling that it could be my ICP, sure enough, I removed the heat shield, and the sensor was filled with oil, I started the truck with the sensor unplugged and it eliminated the idle vibration. New sensor will be put in tomorrow, and I will keep this post updated. This was very odd to me as the icp values passed for typical. Always learning with these~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
ICP sensor is usually condemned when the volts are not matching the pressure and yours seemed to match. Hope it fixes it though, if there was oil in the pigtail, indicating that the sensor was leaking oil through it, the sensor definitely needed to be changed (along w/ the pigtail). A bad ICP sensor can definitely cause some rough running.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 10-15-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 , ficm , injector

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode