• 1 Post By kcoyner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decisions to make!? 6.0 build or sell?

I have a 05 2 door long bed 6.0. It's in pretty good shape. It has a egr block off, coolant filter and some sort of tune. I put brand new tires on the new 20" aftermarket wheels.l that were on it when I bought it. It has 128,000 miles on it now. I paid 9k for it worh 124k miles. I put new bilstein 5100s on it, and rebuilt the front end. Ball joints, axle joints and all seala, and rear u joints. I am having turbo issues (probably needs a new turbo) and I know it needs new up pipes because they are cracked. I owe nothing on the truck. It dosent have studs or anything. Has some sort of tune but unknown what it is.
The head gasket isn't blown yet. But I am
wondering, should I pay the money to have the top end of the motor 100% done, push rods, rockers, new oil cooler, machine heads and install the wire and new o rings, head studs, head gaskets, everything else for $5,000, do a t4 turbo upgrade kit and a S364.5 turbo and 155/30 injectors done for another $3,000 or just sell the truck or just fix the up pipes and turbo and ride it out. It will be/ was my daily driver about a week ago. I've owned the truck for about a month and a half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2019, 04:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
That's always the decision, isn't it? Keep it and fix it up, or take on a new vehicle payment.

For me, 67k for a new truck just wasn't going to happen. But the flip side of that, is my truck isn't a daily driver until the drivetrain work is complete.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
It's a matter of what your needs/wants are relating to a truck, addition, subtraction and affordability. For me there was no way I was going to make those payments for a new 6.7 that would be more than my house payment. You have to look at your available cash. IMO, that's not a ton of miles on the truck. I would fix the up pipes, rebuild the turbo if needed and do all the other little top end upgrades, and a coolanat flush. If the deltas are high I would do one of the BPD oil cooler options. If you're going to be pushing the cylinder pressures, install ARP studs on oringed heads. Once you upgrade/mod the truck suited to what you need it to do, you can drive it problem free for a long time.

k
Chris likes this.

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-14-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I appreciate the input! I do have a 2014 Ram 3500 which I have been daily driving so I'm not stuck there. Other than the up pipes and turbo it's still fine. The labor I'm gonna pay to have the up pipes and turbo done would cover more than half the labor to do head gaskets and studs. So I'm better off doing it all at once so I don't pay the labor twice. Then while hes already in there i mid as well hit the injectors. That's the only thing he doesn't replace when he does a head gasket job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode