Backtracking towards stock, how far should I go? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Backtracking towards stock, how far should I go?

Working on buying my first 6.0 after a disappointing string of 7.3s. After looking at a dozen trucks I believe that I've found one that is workable and will be picking it up later this week. Paid more than I wanted to, but finding something without rust has proved... difficult, and I get fancy cowhide seats so that makes it worth the 15k, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Truck is a 2006 CCSB King Ranch. 159K miles. I'll throw the guy's list of motor work down here. Seller gave me no reason to disbelieve anything he said and I know enough about diesel motors to be able to verify most of it. He had receipts for everything, down to treating the leather seats when he bought it 19K miles and 2 years ago.

1. 205 warren injectors
2. Sct x4 tuner with custom tunes
3. 4” turbo back mbrp exhaust
4. Cold and hot side piping
5. Rudy’s diesel CAI
6. Sinister coolant filter system
7. EGR delete
8. Law dog high output alternator
9. Trans has been replaced
10. FICM replaced.
11. All seals and headgaskets replaced by Ford. They apparently wouldn't warranty work with aftermarket parts (studs)

He was going in a different direction than I want to go. He was looking for a daily driver that doubled as a show truck. Most of the stuff he did was leaning towards performance, now he has a kid and wants something newer and closer to stock. Or at least that's the story.

I want to focus on reliability and towing capacity, with a minor emphasis on fuel economy. It will be driven up to 1000 miles a week, and will tow 8000 pounds on a fairly regular basis. Here's my thoughts on what I should do, but since I'm new to the 6.0 I definitely want suggestions. Just remember what my goals are. My plan is to drive it on the street tune it currently has for a couple of weeks and keep monitoring for signs of HG failure or other issues and then do all of the work at once.

1. I know it needs turbo seals.
2. I also know it needs two glow plugs. Probably replace them all.
3. Replace all fluids and filters, don't think a coolant flush is necessary with the coolant filter.

Here's where I need advice:

4. Lose the 205 injectors in favor of stock or 155s. 205s on a stock turbo seems pointless and just drinks fuel. I'd love to get more air in there and keep the power, but again - reliability and fuel economy
5. Do head studs one at a time motor in. Since the gaskets are new-ish I think this is reasonable unless I see signs of failure.
6. Maybe rebuild oil cooler?
7. New tunes to reflect smaller injectors

I need you guys to help me fill in the blanks for point 8 and on. Thanks in advance for the advice, and hopefully this won't be a repeat of the "5 engine pull" 7.3 that I named Paine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72465133_10218797368952742_8157937426929549312_n.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	724071  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I won’t hit every bullet point, and can’t speak about the injectors.
Monitor your deltas on the stock tune.
#11 makes me think it has studs already, but then you state you want to do head studs? To me doing them one at a time is a bad idea. While it might be ok, you’re just breaking the “seal” when you untorque then expecting it to hold when you torque it back down. Even if you do them in sequence, it’s still a bad idea.
You could do glow plugs, filters, and seals then worry about the rest later when it can all be done at once. Or you can skip the coolant flush, hope it has the ford gold with egr cooler, and do everything a lot sooner.

There’s a lot of good information on here regarding your questions. Personally I would do everything at once, and not have to worry about it.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineauto View Post
Working on buying my first 6.0 after a disappointing string of 7.3s. After looking at a dozen trucks I believe that I've found one that is workable and will be picking it up later this week. Paid more than I wanted to, but finding something without rust has proved... difficult, and I get fancy cowhide seats so that makes it worth the 15k, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Truck is a 2006 CCSB King Ranch. 159K miles. I'll throw the guy's list of motor work down here. Seller gave me no reason to disbelieve anything he said and I know enough about diesel motors to be able to verify most of it. He had receipts for everything, down to treating the leather seats when he bought it 19K miles and 2 years ago.

1. 205 warren injectors

2. Sct x4 tuner with custom tunes

3. 4” turbo back mbrp exhaust

4. Cold and hot side piping

5. Rudy’s diesel CAI

6. Sinister coolant filter system

7. EGR delete

8. Law dog high output alternator

9. Trans has been replaced

10. FICM replaced.

11. All seals and headgaskets replaced by Ford. They apparently wouldn't warranty work with aftermarket parts (studs)

He was going in a different direction than I want to go. He was looking for a daily driver that doubled as a show truck. Most of the stuff he did was leaning towards performance, now he has a kid and wants something newer and closer to stock. Or at least that's the story.

I want to focus on reliability and towing capacity, with a minor emphasis on fuel economy. It will be driven up to 1000 miles a week, and will tow 8000 pounds on a fairly regular basis. Here's my thoughts on what I should do, but since I'm new to the 6.0 I definitely want suggestions. Just remember what my goals are. My plan is to drive it on the street tune it currently has for a couple of weeks and keep monitoring for signs of HG failure or other issues and then do all of the work at once.

1. I know it needs turbo seals.

2. I also know it needs two glow plugs. Probably replace them all.

3. Replace all fluids and filters, don't think a coolant flush is necessary with the coolant filter.

Here's where I need advice:

4. Lose the 205 injectors in favor of stock or 155s. 205s on a stock turbo seems pointless and just drinks fuel. I'd love to get more air in there and keep the power, but again - reliability and fuel economy

5. Do head studs one at a time motor in. Since the gaskets are new-ish I think this is reasonable unless I see signs of failure.

6. Maybe rebuild oil cooler?

7. New tunes to reflect smaller injectors

I need you guys to help me fill in the blanks for point 8 and on. Thanks in advance for the advice, and hopefully this won't be a repeat of the "5 engine pull" 7.3 that I named Paine.

#11 leads me to believe that it has stock Ford studs and not APR which will prove to be a problem at some point, because they will eventually stretch. Unless, Ford has upgraded their stock lineup of parts which I highly doubt.

Is the oil cooler leaking? What are the Delta's?

If you're draining, you might as well flush, but you can cut the filter apart and inspect the filter media. This will give you a good indication of whether the coolant has started to separate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The title of thread is what got my attention. Are you looking to run intact tunes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

844-487-2787

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #5 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 06:38 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly, I would get a larger KC turbo and enjoy having the injectors. The turbo would clean up the fuel and you would have the power if you needed it.

As someone already said, if the head gaskets were already done, hopefully the truck would have been studded at that point. I understand what you said about Ford and their warranty policy, but you can visually check under the hood if the truck has stock head bolts or aftermarket studs.

Before you do the oil cooler, I would just check and see what the deltas between the EOT and ECT are currently. If they are looking good, don't worry about it. Everything else you listed seems appropriate.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #6 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dales Super Store View Post
The title of thread is what got my attention. Are you looking to reinstall a DPF and run intact tunes?
6.0s didn't come with a diesel particulate filter.
Dales Super Store likes this.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
I would make absolutely sure you're studded. With that type of use the cylinder pressures are going to be up and without and maybe even with, you'll probably be doing headgaskets again. On the the next go around get yourself some o-ringed heads. Contact Charlie at KC for advice on the injector and turbo questions.

k

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #8 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
HA RIGHT! Thanks

844-487-2787

us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #9 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yes, the truck is on stock Ford TTY bolts, the heads were done about 20k miles ago but Ford would not warranty any work using aftermarket parts, so no ARP studs were installed. Good suggestion on the filter media, hadn't thought about that.

Basically, I'm trying to make the truck as reliable as possible without spending a stupid amount of money right off the bat. I've read a lot of good info on doing studs one at a time, but it's a controversial enough topic that I'm thinking just leave the head bolts and detune the truck to try to get as much life as possible out of them. That said, 205/100 injectors seem like way too much fuel, especially on the stock turbo. I can upgrade the turbo, but that puts the life of the heads into serious question. That's my reasoning for stepping down to either stock sticks or 155/30s and either stock or very light tow tuning. I'd love to have the power, but it's not in my budget to spend 10 grand on doing the heads with studs and a new turbo right after paying for the truck. Rebuilding the stock turbo and having less fuel seems like a safer and more economical option.

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
I thought most dealers did use ARP studs when they did a head gasket job on a 6.0? That was the standard practice for dealers around here at least.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode