I want a quieter truck, Power upgrades or Swap? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy I want a quieter truck, Power upgrades or Swap?

Hi All,

I'm getting older and I'm really tired of the amount of noise I have to put up with driving my truck. I have a 2007 F-250 6.0 that I mostly use the pull a pontoon boat on long hauls. I've put a lot of effort into quieting down the cab, which has helped a lot. I've gone just about as far as I can with sound insulation. The truck noise isn't too bad at RPMs below 1,800 but its hard to keep it there at highway speed. It has a 4" lift, that I'm in the middle of taking back to stock. I don't want to change out to another truck (unless its an Excursion). But I'd lose out on the transmission upgrade and all the other work I've done to it.

I think the big solution is improving the low-end power, allowing me to hold lower RPMs longer (Safely). Right now I can hold it in the top gear on some gradual hills, but I'm usually forced make it downshift if I see temps climb past 1200. (maybe relevant) I get a droning noise from the transfer case if I push for more power around 70 in the top gear.

I recently test drove a 7.3 Excursion and I was MUCH happier with the noise level of that. I'd seriously consider a 7.3 swap into this truck, or at the very least my transmission in an excursion. But I think a Cummings swap would be a smarter choice before a 7.3. I'd even swap to a v10 or 6.2 Gas, if I thought it was easily doable.

The question I have for everyone is this. Are there economical power upgrades to get the result I want, thats towing safe? (I'm thinking injectors). Or should I look further into an engine swap (I'd figure out how to do this myself).

A swap is obviously crazy expensive/time consuming. But my biggest concern with a swap is making it too difficult for a shop work on it when I don't have the time to fix it.

- What I'm looking at doing.
Coated valve covers (I have an extra set of valve covers off e-bay)
Blue spring upgrade (I may already have it)
FICM Tune + Pilot injection from Innovative Diesel.

I currently use a bully dog "tripple dog" tuner, but I have an SCT x4 (no tunes yet).

- Mods
BTS Transmission
Banks Intercooler
Head Studs
EGR Delete
4" exhaust (although it has 2 quieter mufflers now)
2 part driveshaft converted to 1 piece (no more carrier bearing)
34" Tires
3.73 Gearing
I run biodiesel when I can.
I keep the oil topped at max which has helped keep'er quieter
Old Bully Dog Tripple dog programer <- This is what I'm still using
EGR Temp gauge
Cold air intake

Thanks all.

2007 F250 Lariat Outlaw
Rebuilt transmission from BTS, Head studs, Banks inter-cooler, Air bags, Air compressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Chances are very high that a 7.3 swap would be louder that your truck now... The excursions have more sound deadening in the dash that trucks. Focus on the area behind the dash for more sound deadening. Your quietest option is a gasser... /thread
KyleCook and jokester00 like this.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+1 on the 7.3 being louder. The v10 has been around for a while, but you'd be better off using that as a boat anchor than to swap a 6.0 for that. You probably won't be able to achieve quieting down the truck unless you swap to a 6.7. Even the 6.4's are quieter than the 6.0's, but you'd be insane to swap one of those in.

A 12v or 24v swap would be easier, but the 12v would be louder than the 6.0 is now, and surely the 24v is just as loud as the 6.0.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For noise purposes and cost swapping to a 7.3l. 5.9 Cummins (why do people say Cummings????) or even the older V10 would be completely pointless and super expensive. its around $4k for the transmission adapter, engine mounts, and wire harness for the Cummins swap NOT INCLUUDING the engine, misc parts, labor and tuning needed to control the 5r100 transmission behind the 5.9L Cummins. The 7.3l and v10 would be a huge loss in power and you probably wouldn't like the downgrade and even louder noise. not to mention the gas guzzeling effect of towing with a v10 let alone daily driving.

Upgrading trucks sounds like the only thing. It sounds like you used sound deadening material such as dynamat or equivalent behind the door panels, floorboard, fire wall etc? And you have two mufflers? dual exhaust or someone actually put two mufflers inline?? With just the oem catalytic converter and muffler my 6.0L was way quieter than even my stock exhaust 7.3l.

Upgrading to a 2013/2014 6.7L Powerstroke/Cumminswould be the only noticeable improvement sound wise at this point. Larger injectors would require running a custom tune even for stock engine power and not affect noise with the exception of the infamous "whisper" tune for those who utilize drive through more than average.

sorry to be the barer of bad news but that's just the options outside of really doubleing up the dynamat/sound deadeding material. Usually you have a lot of fun fitting things over double layers but it does make a difference. Kilmat is significantly cheaper and from personal use just as helpful with noise. There is an extra firewall sound mat that came on excursions. Perhaps you could find one and modify it to fit in a powerstroke engine bay if it even needed modded.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #5 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 11:52 AM
It is What IT is

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
do you have sound deadening insulation on the roof? Rear wall?
doubleslottedflaps likes this.

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #6 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Tires also transfer noise. There are quiet tries and tires that transfer road noise. Stiffer springs and stiffer shocks also transfer road noise. Air bags dampen road noise.

NOTNOW > 2001 F350 CCLB DRW SCHTICK SHHHIFTER
WONTON > 2002 F350 CCLB DRW OTTOMATIC
FTCOBRA > 2006 F350 CCLB DRW SCHTICK SHHHIFTER
post #7 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Quoted: 3934 Post(s)

6.0 flush pdf
post #8 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Dynomat everything (behind dash, against firewall, under floor carpet, inside doors, etc) and put on road tires, not all terrain. Those two things will quiet things down a lot.
doubleslottedflaps likes this.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #9 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 05:04 PM
It is What IT is

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Why not just wear ear plugs?

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #10 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I Have a 7.3 f550 w/ turbo back mbrp
6.0 excursion w/ turbo back mbrp and 175/30s
and a 2019 6.7 550 all stock

The 7.3 is by far the loudest. Not even comparable. If you dont shut it off at the drive thru you mine as well just drive away. Windows up or down barely even make a difference. But i love it.

The 6.0 excursion is super quiet with the windows up. You can easily hold a convo at normal speaking volume. As Windows down is just plain loud.

The 6.7 is too quiet for my liking. windows up or down i sometimes wonder if its even running. I have tried to start it at least 3 times while its already running in the past 6 months. Luckily the computer does not allow you to grind the starter.

Definitely go with a 6.7 if the budget allows. However IMO the 6.0 is super quiet if you have your windows up. And who doesnt like to listen to the motor every once in a while?

03 7.3l 550, FRx, 6637 mod, 4 inch turbo back, ccv delete, aih delete, HPx, Riffraffs OCR, Turbo-pyro-boost-coolant EV2 gauges, Bullydog GT tuner.

03 X 6.0 175/30 warren sticks, Livewire TS w/ warren tunes, Blue spring mod, atlas 40 ficm, 270amp dc power alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
goats lives matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode