LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-27-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
XDP x-tra cool radiator

Hey everyone.
Iíll start by saying I did a search on here along with other forums as well, and didnít come up with anything. Now getting to what Iíve got going on. I just noticed that my factory radiator is leaking from between the top plastic end cap and the radiator core, so I need to get a new radiator ASAP. Iíve used Mishimoto parts in the past for my BMW and other cars Iíve owned, and never had good luck with their parts. There was always something wrong with their parts which caused me to return them and get actual dealer parts. I have lost all trust in Mishimoto. Iím looking at the XDP X-tra cool radiator for my 04 6.0L F250, and Iím wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. According to the XDP website, the XDP X-tra cool radiator is made to eliminate the common end cap leaking issue and other common issues with the factory radiator. Whatís the opinion on this radiator? Is it worth the $370 XDP wants for it? Let me know what you think about it. I really appreciate all the help Iíve received in the past.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Would go with OEM personally. Its not a common leak source on the 6.0L radiators. XDP has some good stuff but also has a lot of made in the land of "insert name you cannot pronounce here" stuff too.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #3 of 24 Old 09-27-2019, 10:25 AM
Mr. Crossthread

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozefighter View Post
Hey everyone.
Iíll start by saying I did a search on here along with other forums as well, and didnít come up with anything. Now getting to what Iíve got going on. I just noticed that my factory radiator is leaking from between the top plastic end cap and the radiator core, so I need to get a new radiator ASAP. Iíve used Mishimoto parts in the past for my BMW and other cars Iíve owned, and never had good luck with their parts. There was always something wrong with their parts which caused me to return them and get actual dealer parts. I have lost all trust in Mishimoto. Iím looking at the XDP X-tra cool radiator for my 04 6.0L F250, and Iím wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. According to the XDP website, the XDP X-tra cool radiator is made to eliminate the common end cap leaking issue and other common issues with the factory radiator. Whatís the opinion on this radiator? Is it worth the $370 XDP wants for it? Let me know what you think about it. I really appreciate all the help Iíve received in the past.
Thanks in advance.

That or a prime cooling radiator will do fine. Mishimoto has a hard time even getting the product to the customer. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
partyman97_3 likes this.

Justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat 292k

ARP Studs - OEM Gaskets - Machined Heads - EGR Delete - 4" Straight Pipe Axle Dump - MBRP Up-pipes - Holder's 175/Stock Injectors - KC Stage 2 63.5mm - Custom Water/Meth Injection - Beans Diesel Sump - PHP FICM Tuner - SCT X4 - TSD Tunes - Riff Raff Boots and Clamps - Coolant Filter - Blue Spring - CCV Reroute - Powermax USA 250 amp Alt - Custom Big 3 Upgrade -
Check out MPA, those guys are pretty decent

TPB!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
I would think that the XDP radiator would be just fine. That said, I sure haven't heard of any aftermarket radiator cooling any better than OEM.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #5 of 24 Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I ordered the XDP radiator. Iíll post some pictures when I have it in my hands

post #6 of 24 Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
Would go with OEM personally. Its not a common leak source on the 6.0L radiators.
I would have to politely disagree with you on that. The plastic cap separating from the aluminum body is actually the most common leak with the radiators.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #7 of 24 Old 10-01-2019, 08:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I would have to politely disagree with you on that. The plastic cap separating from the aluminum body is actually the most common leak with the radiators.

That's all good It didn't happen to three of my past 6.0ls and none of our old fleet f450s all 200k+ miles of hard towing) and when I googled it didn't come up with near the number of results for the more well known issues of non bulletproof or even studded 6.0Ls etc. Curious to see how the XDP unit holds up long term though.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #8 of 24 Old 10-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
That's all good It didn't happen to three of my past 6.0ls and none of our old fleet f450s all 200k+ miles of hard towing) and when I googled it didn't come up with near the number of results for the more well known issues of non bulletproof or even studded 6.0Ls etc. Curious to see how the XDP unit holds up long term though.
Consider yourself lucky?

Happened to two of my 6.0s, as well as my neighbors. Happened at 130k and 170k with mine and at 200k for my neighbor. The exact same thing happened on a 2002 F150 I had with 240k. I would have to imagine that the plastic and aluminum are expanding/contracting at different rates and after so many cycles, the seal is compromised.

As far as googling, I just typed in "radiator leak 6.0 powerstroke" and the first page is all examples of the plastic caps separating. Maybe google is messing with us?
JustinOOO9 likes this.

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, EGR Delete, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front & Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit and LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #9 of 24 Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Mine blew out on me. I went w/ the BPD radiator and it works fine, I just don't think it cools any better than OEM.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

post #10 of 24 Old 10-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
I also have the BPD radiator which I purchased when I broke the plastic nipple, and the homemade repair did not work. The radiator is not a BPD logo'd product and is produced in Thailand, but I've had no issues with it, including towing 11k.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode