Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mileage 2007 F350 4x4 SRW stock, 155,000.

870 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  wiredgeorge 
#1 ·
I drive very conservatively....slow starts, slow stops, seldom over 65. I was getting 12 mpg and did all 4 brakes. It improved to 14 mpg.
I'm getting ready to have the following work done.... injectors, front axle U joints, front wheel bearings, power steering pump, glow plugs, and up pipes.
I plan on Warren Diesel conventional injectors. Did I read somewhere that 155s get better mileage than stock? I'm not tuned and not interested in power increase, but better mileage.
I'm thinking about Detroit Axle wheel bearing assemblies with a 10 year warranty. Has anyone used them?

#2 ·
I have used Detroit. They are popular on eBay but I haven’t had any bad luck with their products. I have even used a few other products from them w good luck also. Strut assemblies & stabilizer shaft links also with great luck. I don’t remember a 10 year warranty advertised though.

#4 ·
I just saw someone else in another thread post a Yelp link to Detroit Axle and they had horrible reviews. Lol
I can’t complain with what I have used. But that is all under $1000 worth of parts on various vehicles. I have never visited their site either until you posted a link. I have only ever seen them on eBay really.

#6 ·
I've used Detroit Axle parts over the years and they are just rebranded Chinese parts as far as I could tell. Technically they worked, and I didn't have any complaints, but they are just cheap parts. I used them for some tie rod ends on a Jeep Grand Cherokee once and they were worn out within 2 years.

#7 ·
Larger injectors require a custom ecm tune to run right. Got to be honest with you you wont see a fuel economy improvement that route. Pickups need aeromods or for the 6.0L specifically a ficm tune is the way to go.

I chased fuel economy in my 04 f350 and 06 f350 even going from an 8in lift and 38s down to a 4in lift and 35s was a flatout failure and made me very angry. Discovered ecomodder forum and found the best bang for the buck is a tonneau cover for highway drives. Picked up a solid 1-1.5mpg increase and it paid it self off in one road trip.

One type of tune that I did see a measureable improvement was the php ficm tuner. It changes how the fuel injection control moduel FICM runs and with the basic atlas40 tune got a consistant .5-.75 mpg increase. usually 2 solid mpg over stock with tonnea cover and ficm tune. (very, very slight bump in power) I did the same 980mile road trip 10 times a year and stoped at same fuel stations, hotels and got very familiar with trucks fuel range.

tonnuea cover 1-15.mpg boost
atlas 40 ficm tune .5-.75mpg boost

After that I tried everything various custom ecm tunes, gentle, hard driving only drafting behind bigrigs (kind of dangerous) worked better. Did some research and discovered a user bigdave on ecomodder has a 2001 f350 2wd 6sp getting 27mpg. You can read about his mods but the most basic was a tonneau cover. He changed from double to single shot injectors, exhaust, tunes, biggest effect were aeromods.

trucktrend even did an article on his truck; http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/0612dp-2000-ford-f350-mileage/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.