• 3 Post By JPGale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-14-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issue while attempting to go camping

Well I had a bad friday the 13th. We were heading to a campground, hooked up the trailer and the truck was running great, as I was slowing down to make the turn into the campsite the engine just quit on me. It would crank but not start, I was sat in the middle of the road and blocking the entrance to the camp ground not a good place to be. I was able to get pulled to the side of the road in a safer place. I had to call a tow truck with my breakdown coverage will only allow the truck to be towed 15miles, so I sent it to the nearest Ford dealer, which is where the truck is right now. The dealer will diagnose the issue on Monday. I suspect my connections for the pigtail replacement on the IPR I did recently, or a clogged IPR screen. I did pull the codes and had a p0261, p0401, p0603 and p2290. The to make matters worse when we were towing the trailer back to the storage yard the trailer got hit, so there is now some small damage on the trailer (the breakdown coverage on the trailer is 200 miles). My wife is fed up of the issues with my truck and with me working on it a lot and is pressuring me to buy a brand new truck. To be honest I have been tempted to upgrade anyway so there maybe a new 6.7 in the future for me, it may not be a powerstroke though, I really like both the Ford and the Ram and both have good points and both have bad points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Check wiring to #1 injector.

Try running w/ a disconnected ICP. When you disconnect it, look for oil on the connector.

If there has been recent work, then maybe pull the IPR and check for trash on the screen.

Oh, and please post what year model truck you have ... 03 or 04 maybe?

Last edited by bismic; 09-14-2019 at 10:12 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Check wiring to #1 injector.

Try running w/ a disconnected ICP. When you disconnect it, look for oil on the connector.

If there has been recent work, then maybe pull the IPR and check for trash on the screen.

Oh, and please post what year model truck you have ... 03 or 04 maybe?
I thought I had a signture on my post, hum it is missing, I have a 2003 f250. From the searches I did on here with the error codes it could be the wiring to the injector, that actually would be a relatively good thing compared to some options.

I did just do the heads and have not put more than 500 miles on her since (I am a low mileage driver on the truck as it is not my daily driver), which is why I suspect trash on the screen.

However the truck is not at my home, it was too far away to be towed there, it is currently at a ford dealer to be diagnosed. Depending on the result of that I will either, auth the repair if it is cheap, tow it home if it is something that I have replaced and is under warranty and easy to get to (like the FICM), tow it to another local shop that a member here recommended previously and have it fixed there, or simply trade it at that dealer or another one and let them deal with it. I just like to have an idea of what to expect so I am not going to get sticker shock.

At this point just to keep my wife happy I maybe forced to buy a brand new truck, she is more keen on that score that I am but I have been recently starting to want the newer tech on the new trucks. I test drove a RAM yesterday and that was a very nice truck, did not get a good feel for the 1000 ft pound torque but it was a really great driving truck, I now need to test drive a ford.

I have considered selling it on this forum as I know most people here would understand the many upgrades I have done to the truck. I may still go that route as well. Not sure what it would be worth, but if I do go that route then it would most likely be a running truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't have any insight on your problem and don't want to make light of your situation at all but if your wife WANTS you to buy an new truck......sound like she's a keeper!!!!! Good luck with your problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
she wants a new truck not a new payment ;-)
BTL and jokester00 like this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I bought a new Dodge DRW back in the Nineties when they made that radical body change with the Cummins six cyl. I had that truck looking good, it was red and had about every aftermarket trim item available. Everything just clicked with that truck in the beauty (and engine) department, hands-down one of the best looking and running trucks I have ever owned. Did I mention it was red? Rumors at the time were saying the body was weak and since I lived about 2 teeth-rattling miles off the pavement, going and coming home a few times each day was always a great test for any truck. After two years of Dodge, you couldn't hear the radio because of all the rattling, doors wouldn't open / close properly, mirrors were shot, etc. . Finally the tailgate fell-off and that signaled new truck time.

I still live in the same general area and still have to contend with the rutted and bumpy dirt roads. One of the reasons I stay with Ford is that the body seems to stay tighter than the other two truck makers, although to be fair, it's now been years since I've owned a Dodge and hopefully they hold together better today. Ford's behavior in the 6.0 and 6.4 years makes owning one hard to justify but at least my truck doesn't rattle (too much). Take what you can get out of the deal and be happy, I guess is the moral to the story...lol.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGale View Post
I thought I had a signture on my post, hum it is missing, I have a 2003 f250. From the searches I did on here with the error codes it could be the wiring to the injector, that actually would be a relatively good thing compared to some options.

I did just do the heads and have not put more than 500 miles on her since (I am a low mileage driver on the truck as it is not my daily driver), which is why I suspect trash on the screen.

However the truck is not at my home, it was too far away to be towed there, it is currently at a ford dealer to be diagnosed. Depending on the result of that I will either, auth the repair if it is cheap, tow it home if it is something that I have replaced and is under warranty and easy to get to (like the FICM), tow it to another local shop that a member here recommended previously and have it fixed there, or simply trade it at that dealer or another one and let them deal with it. I just like to have an idea of what to expect so I am not going to get sticker shock.

At this point just to keep my wife happy I maybe forced to buy a brand new truck, she is more keen on that score that I am but I have been recently starting to want the newer tech on the new trucks. I test drove a RAM yesterday and that was a very nice truck, did not get a good feel for the 1000 ft pound torque but it was a really great driving truck, I now need to test drive a ford.

I have considered selling it on this forum as I know most people here would understand the many upgrades I have done to the truck. I may still go that route as well. Not sure what it would be worth, but if I do go that route then it would most likely be a running truck.
I guess responses weren't really needed .... best of luck w/ the new truck if you go that route.

Last edited by bismic; 09-15-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, today I went and looked at a nice f350 long bed at my local ford dealer and I ended up bring it home. I will be selling my f250 once it has been fixed. I am happy with the new truck it is amazing how small it drives it does not feel like 22 foot of truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Sep 15, 19 40 43.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	723213  
G8orFord, BTL and jokester00 like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Way to go! Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode