Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid Confusion??? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1368621-transmission-fluid-confusion.html)

ChallengerRV 09-09-2019 03:56 PM

Transmission Fluid Confusion???

So sometimes using search does more harm then good. I'm still new to the 6.0 world and the 5speed automatic. I need to do a fluid change but I'm trying to figure out what to use. In searching I have found Mercron SP and LV but there are a ton of posts out there about LV destroying the trans. Some say Valvoline Max Life others say the trans will fall out as soon as you pour that stuff in :doh: So I'm looking for some good up to date information about what I should use. Aside from the ever Awesome Amsoil which is just not in the budget at this point.

Right now the only thing I'm sure of is that I want to change to the 08 pan and filter. I think that part number for the pan is 8C3Z-7A194-B otherwise I have no idea what fluid to buy or how much to give me a good change. Also do you guys use the same fluid in the T-Case as well? I like to change those together.

Sorry for stirring up what is sure to be a hornets nest but searching confused me more then anything else. There is such a thing as too much information.

Hydro 09-09-2019 04:41 PM

I posted some info from the manufactures data sheet on the various oils, a while back but that thread kinda died -- Interested in the outcome of this one

jokester00 09-09-2019 04:56 PM

A couple years ago, I ended up with Mercon SP in the trans and XL-12 in the transfer case. I'm sure it's changed by now.

Calling @voodooridr & @fordsvtparts for specs & part numbers.

-jokester

7.3lf550 09-09-2019 05:00 PM

Oil debates never end well.......IMO run something name brand thats been around for a while. Call your local ford dealer. Whatever they recommend just put it.

Heres my 2 cents....most people start to have some weird shifts or what not. Then they say "oh i better do a trans fluid change". 5k miles later the trans implodes and they blame the oil when in reality they have a trans with 200k hard miles on it that was going to let go anyway.

bismic 09-09-2019 05:11 PM

Both Mercon SP and LV are approved to use.

Lots of people have posted up about using Valvoline Max Life. I have yet to see a thread about having an issue with it.

mohead1 09-09-2019 05:53 PM

After the stock 5r110 crapped out in the 4Fitty, i put in a built unit and used the LV....no issues, 40k mi since then with lots towing and hard use. Not abused, but worked like it was made to do....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kcoyner 09-09-2019 06:05 PM

I'm closing in on 300K miles with Amsoil. No problems thus far. Fingers crossed for trans to keep going!

k

bismic 09-09-2019 06:06 PM

Fords service interval is 30k miles for the fluid (assuming "no abuse"). Stick with that and you shouldn't have any issues. Some install the '08 pan and filter for added reliability.

ChallengerRV 09-09-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7.3lf550 (Post 16328333)
Oil debates never end well.......IMO run something name brand thats been around for a while. Call your local ford dealer. Whatever they recommend just put it.

Heres my 2 cents....most people start to have some weird shifts or what not. Then they say "oh i better do a trans fluid change". 5k miles later the trans implodes and they blame the oil when in reality they have a trans with 200k hard miles on it that was going to let go anyway.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for another oil debate. I have read plenty of those. I'm kind of looking for a summary of the past debates and maybe any real data that has come out recently. Most of the debate threads I found were from a few years ago. I would love to hear that someone took their good running 05 with 200K on it and changed to LV or whatever and have put another 60, 80, or 100K on it since with no issues. I do get it that some people change the fluid in a questionable trans then blame the fluid when it dies. I'm trying to filter those out.

jokester00 09-09-2019 07:47 PM

I took a perfectly good transmission and put Mercon SP in it and it's still a perfectly good transmission after 15k. Same with the transfer case - except I used XL-12.

-jokester