5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Late to the party: Did the smoke happen after you took the injectors apart?

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Late to the party: Did the smoke happen after you took the injectors apart?
Yes it did
post #23 of 25 Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlang95 View Post
So update, I pulled the injectors and separated the upper and lower bodies. The fuel spring on the lower body of the injector is broke on 7 of the injectors. And I pulled the turbo and the outlet and the down pipe are covered in thick oily residue.
My guess is that the new orings on the outside of the injectors uncovered an ongoing problem -- the internal body oring was leaking and the pintle springs was busted

The upper external oring since it was new and sealing better pushed the oil that was previously leaking past, and into the crankcase -- down into the fuel rail, and into the combustion

The broken pintle springs were causing the injector tip to have a poor/no spray pattern -- incomplete combustion happened -- the ECU would have basically shut the fuel off to keep engine speed and you were running on engine oil -- so lots of smoke and snot

Those lower springs pre load the injector pintle to about 3900psi -- without them working as they are supposed to, the nozzle just squirts a stream

Seven broken in one engine seems to me to be odd, maybe they were just old

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Vid could have been better, but shows the part order of the lower injector assembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6uSCa9_1n4I

General note:
post #25 of 25 Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlang95 View Post
So update, I pulled the injectors and separated the upper and lower bodies. The fuel spring on the lower body of the injector is broke on 7 of the injectors. And I pulled the turbo and the outlet and the down pipe are covered in thick oily residue.
My guess is that the new orings on the outside of the injectors uncovered an ongoing problem -- the internal body oring was leaking and the pintle springs was busted

The upper external oring since it was new and sealing better pushed the oil that was previously leaking past, and into the crankcase -- down into the fuel rail, and into the combustion

The broken pintle springs were causing the injector tip to have a poor/no spray pattern -- incomplete combustion happened -- the ECU would have basically shut the fuel off to keep engine speed and you were running on engine oil -- so lots of smoke and snot

Those lower springs pre load the injector pintle to about 3900psi -- without them working as they are supposed to, the nozzle just squirts a stream

Seven broken in one engine seems to me to be odd, maybe they were just old
I was surprised there were that many broken as well. But oh well. It’ll be down for a little and then it’ll be back up in running with some new injectors, turbo, intake, and HPOP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode