11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Preventative HFCM replacement

Hey fellas. I've got a 5,000 mile camping trip up to Yellowstone next month. I'm doing a list of things to the truck including new batteries, turbo cleaning, drive shaft carrier bearing, pinion seal, and rear airbags. I have the blue spring kit and a fantastic running set of original injectors with 135k on the truck. I have the original HFCM and have heard rumblings over the years that they weaken rather than totally fail and can tear up injectors. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge setup so I do not have any reason to believe that mine is bad.

i was wondering if it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to preventatively replace the HFCM with a new OEM part to insure perfect fuel delivery with the 5,000 trip with 5er in tow. For $300 it may not be a bad insurance policy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Mr. Crossthread

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Garage
I mean you're already spending all that other money on prevention parts so why not lol might as well do the blue spring at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat 292k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ARP Studs - OEM Gaskets - Machined Heads - EGR Delete - 4" Straight Pipe Axle Dump - MBRP Up-pipes - Holder's 175/Stock Injectors - KC Stage 2 63.5mm - Custom Water/Meth Injection - Beans Diesel Sump - PHP FICM Tuner - SCT X4 - TSD Tunes - Riff Raff Boots and Clamps - Coolant Filter - Blue Spring - CCV Reroute - Powermax USA 250 amp Alt - Custom Big 3 Upgrade -
Check out MPA, those guys are pretty decent

TPB!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge - that is a better thing to do with your money IMO.

My fuel pump started going out at 215k miles. I caught it w/ the gauge.
jokester00 and letsmow10 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge - that is a better thing to do with your money IMO.

My fuel pump started going out at 215k miles. I caught it w/ the gauge.
Agreed!! A quick glance at a fuel pressure gauge can rule out a LOT of things when/if things go wrong.

-jokester

2005 F350 CCLB FX4 Lariat
SCT SF3 - Currently running PHP 80hp Daily Driver Tune with Atlas 40 FICM Tune
Edge Insight CTS2 monitor
Edge EAS EGT probe
Edge EAS Fuel Pressure Sensor
post #5 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have 175k on mine and no fuel pressure gauge either. As a p.m. I just replaced the pump in the hcfm. It was considerably cheaper than replacing the whole hcfm even buying a Racor pump. I had replaced the blue spring several years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ff View Post
I have 175k on mine and no fuel pressure gauge either. As a p.m. I just replaced the pump in the hcfm. It was considerably cheaper than replacing the whole hcfm even buying a Racor pump. I had replaced the blue spring several years ago.

Just remember there are many things that can cause low fuel pressure - not just a failing pump or a weak regulator spring.

The fuel tank pickup tube has been known to crack with age, bad fuel can partially clog things, o-rings can fail in the regulator, even the regulator springs get weak as it ages.

Not having a fuel pressure gauge just adds to the likelihood of early injector replacement.

It is like the Ford Gold coolant. Some people will use it and do ok. Many won't. Life is a choice and includes many risk-reward decisions.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
If you're just looking for piece of mind I would put in a fuel pressure gauge. Most of the time pressure will drop a bit over a little time before it fails. Note: I did have one pump fail with no warning.
The other thing you could do is just buy a replacement pump. If memory serves its 3 little bolts and plug Ito replace.
If your're looking for a more permanent solution, consider the "Never Stranded" fuel system from Marty's Diesel.
And never travel far in a 6.0 without AAA! LOL!!

k
letsmow10 likes this.

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
post #8 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Just remember there are many things that can cause low fuel pressure - not just a failing pump or a weak regulator spring.

The fuel tank pickup tube has been known to crack with age, bad fuel can partially clog things, o-rings can fail in the regulator, even the regulator springs get weak as it ages.

Not having a fuel pressure gauge just adds to the likelihood of early injector replacement.

It is like the Ford Gold coolant. Some people will use it and do ok. Many won't. Life is a choice and includes many risk-reward decisions.
Good points. I do plan on adding a gauge but for less than the cost of adding the gauge to my edge insight I could just replace the pump. I do plan on adding a gauge.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ff View Post
Good points. I do plan on adding a gauge but for less than the cost of adding the gauge to my edge insight I could just replace the pump. I do plan on adding a gauge.

Fuel pressure gauge is a must IMHO. I'm running the Marty's never stranded get and I love it. Fuel pressure is rock solid all the time with 190/30s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 PSD 4x4 6" lift 35x12.50x20
KDD Long block, KDD O-ringed heads, Colt stage 2 cam, Mahle .020" pistons, ARP head studs,
OE oil cooler and LPOP. OdawgS3, HD up-pipes, Performace valve springs, 190/30 WDI, Marty's Reg return & NeverStranded v2 Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, TSD tunes, KC Stage2
post #10 of 12 Old 09-04-2019, 04:41 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmow10 View Post
Fuel pressure gauge is a must IMHO. I'm running the Marty's never stranded get and I love it. Fuel pressure is rock solid all the time with 190/30s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I've got the regulated return. It's a great upgrade IMO and I'm rock solid on 58psi at all times regardless of throttle position.

I've been holding out for the Never Stranded but it's high up on the list. Anyway you could share some pics and which configuration you have. Oh, and if you installed feel free to share any tips or comments on the install!

k
letsmow10 likes this.

2005 F-350 Lariat DRW. WAAAAYYYY to much for 500 character limit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode