Looking for advice on dealer labor estimate and parts list - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-30-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for advice on dealer labor estimate and parts list

The last 3 times I drove my truck my fuel pressure dropped as low as 35psi after driving for an hour or so, but it always returns to 56psi plus after it's cooled off for a bit. I'm supposed to be driving the truck to South Carolina in a couple of weeks, so I took it to the dealer today to have them give it a good once over. Sure enough, my fuel pump is giving out when it gets hot. They also found that I have a random misfire under load, and are attributing that to injector problems caused by the low fuel pressure. It's still got the original injectors in it, and I've had minor stiction issues for a while. So, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and replacing the injectors. I plan to do the updated standpipes, and dummy plugs while I'm at it. They also found that my EGR valve is sticking open, my track bar is shot, and they recommended replacing my serpentine belt and CAC pipe boots.

So, I have a couple of questions for you guys. Can you look over my parts list and see if there's anything else I should be thinking about while I'm going this far? And, do these labor estimates seem reasonable? I feel like some of these labor times they've quoted may be redundant, as some of this stuff would likely have to come off already to get to the injectors, which they're already quoting 8.5 hours for. I've already found all of the parts from White Bear Lake for about $1150 less than the local dealer quoted.

Fuel Filters - 1.5
Serpentine Belt - 2.5
EGR Valve - 1
Injectors - 8.5
Valve Cover Gaskets
CAC Pipe Boots - 1.5
Fuel Pump - 1.7
Fuel Pump Pigtail
Track Bar - .5
Track Bar Ball Joint - 1.5
Stand Pipe and Dummy Plug Kit

I'm also planning to order the updated turbo feed and drain tubes. I figured since the turbo is already off, it shouldn't add much labor, if any. I was wondering if I should have them clean the turbo too. Nothing has been done to it since it was replaced under warranty 70K miles ago.

The truck is an '05 with 130K miles on it. It had the head gaskets, turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler, and glow plugs replaced under warranty at 60K miles. It's got Magnaflow turbo back exhaust, an IPR coolant filter, and an Edge CS2 on it. Other than that, the truck currently has all stock parts.

I need to get this stuff ordered ASAP so that I can get the work done between this stupid hurricane ending, and September 10th when I'm supposed to leave for SC. So, any advice on this list would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, so I only have to order parts once.

2005 F350 6.0 CCLB SRW FX4 Lariat
Magnaflow 5" turbo back exhaust
Edge Insight CS2 w/ EGT and fuel pressure sensors
Blue spring
IPR coolant filter w/ manifold
Cat ELC coolant

Last edited by AudioEng03; 08-30-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Fuel Filters - 1.5 hrs ? My blind one armed neighbor would probably take less time than that to change the ff’s. And that’s if I wouldn't let him in cab to pop the hood.

You should be able to easily do;

Fuel Filters - 1.5
EGR Valve - 1
CAC Pipe Boots - 1.5
Track Bar - .5

With simple tools on your own. If not you should just buy a bicycle and/or get a bus pass.

The track bar ball joint will require a few special tools but nothing you shouldn’t consider buying anyway.

Unless you have ZERO time to do this stuff yourself I wouldn’t pay them to do the items I originally listed. And then consider paying them to do the others.
bismic and 6.0Castle like this.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-30-2019, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh yeah yoootooob cleaning the egr valve. You can get a preview of what it entails to replace it and can probably save yourself a bunch of $$ by simply cleaning it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also wonder if your “misfire” and “stiction” May be due to the low fp? You may simply just be starving the injectors of fuel..
post #5 of 26 Old 08-30-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Yeah, some of the book times are a bit ridiculous. I'm definitely not going to pay them for an hour to do the EGR. If they don't come down on that, I'll be doing it myself. And 1.5 seems quite unnecessary for the fuel filters, especially considering they'll already have the pump assembly out.

I don't like messing with the turbo boots/pipes, because I don't have a torque wrench and I'm always afraid they're going to pop off. I know, I should probably have a torque wrench. But, I don't, and I don't have time to do any extra running around this week. I've got my hands full prepping multiple properties for the hurricane.

I really don't have any interest in buying the tools required to do suspension work, because I just don't get into that stuff often enough for it to be worth having around. I'll probably pay them to handle the track bar situation. I just thought it may be redundant to charge me for the track bar on top the track bar ball joint. I figured they'd have the track bar out already to do the ball joint. But, again, suspension work is not my thing. So, I may be wrong there. That's why I was asking for some opinions.

I have nearly zero time to get this stuff done myself over the next 10 days. That's why I took it to the dealer. I'm sure I can find an hour somewhere to do simple things like changing the EGR. But, I really don't have the time to tackle much more than that.

I've cleaned the EGR twice in the last year, the last 2 times it started sticking open on me. I think it's time to put a new one on there.

The low fuel pressure is a new issue. It just started within the last week. The stiction has been present for at least a year. Also, the stiction only happens when the truck is cold, and the low fuel pressure only happens when it's hot. So, those two issues aren't related. I think the random misfire is due to the low fuel pressure, and I wouldn't be surprised if that could be cleared up just by changing the pump. But, they're saying that there's a good chance the low pressure has damaged the injectors. Also, when I bought the truck, it had low fuel pressure. I rebuilt the regulator with the updated spring kit, and it came back up to 56+. But, I don't know how long the previous owner drove it with low pressure. He didn't have any sort of monitor on the truck. I don't necessarily think I 100% need injectors. But, given their history, it's only a matter of time. So, I'm thinking about just knocking them out. I can also get the updated stand pipes and dummy plugs done. That'll be one less thing to worry about.

Blue spring
Cat ELC coolant

Last edited by AudioEng03; 08-31-2019 at 04:39 AM.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-30-2019, 11:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Where did you get the blue spring kit from? If it's not OEM, it might be worn out already.

Any decent shop can do the track bar, no need to pay dealer prices for something like that. Only time the dealer should be involved is if it's under warranty or a specialty item that no one else has access to the tools yet.

Have you looked for a shop that specializes or at least works on 6.0's in your area?
post #7 of 26 Old 08-31-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
It's an OEM Blue Spring. The fuel pressure issue only happens when the truck is hot. If the spring was weak, it wouldn't be temperature dependent. I usually take the truck to Southern Diesel Performance in Sanford. But, it's over an hour away, and they stay very busy. It usually takes a couple of weeks to get a truck back from them. There aren't any shops that I trust between them and the dealer that is less than a mile from my house. I'm only going to have a 2-3 day window between getting the parts in, and leaving for this trip. The dealer seems like the the only reliable shot I have at getting it done in time. They only charge $30/hr more than the place in Sanford. And they told me they'd knock $250 off my labor bill if I brought it back to them to do the work. Add that on top of the $100+ in fuel and tolls, that I'll have between 2 vehicles, and 4 hours of my time getting the truck to Sanford and back. I don't think it's gonna cost me any more, in the long run, to just have the dealer that's only 2 blocks away from me knock it out.

To recap, my questions in the original post were if any of the labor times were rundundant, and if there were any other parts I should be thinking of replacing while this job is being done. If anybody cares to weigh in on either of those topics, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning to order the parts later this morning.

Blue spring
Cat ELC coolant
post #8 of 26 Old 08-31-2019, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
There is no doubt that there is redundancy in the quote. The quotes appear to pretty much be the standard times, but they are high.

The CAC tubes and air intake (and other stuff) will come off for the injector replacement. Replacing the boots is quick and easy. That shouldn't be an extra charge IMO. To do the job yourself, you don't have to have a torque wrench. Use a screwdriver so that you don't have the leverage of a ratchet handle. It will be fine. That way you don't have to argue about that specific labor charge.

The fuel pump and filters shouldn't be 3.2 hours. I doubt a dealership will sell a fuel pump by itself. It will be a new HFCM. A new HFCM comes with a new filter.

You have a fuel pump pigtail on the list. Not sure how bad you need that, but it should be easy to do.
AudioEng03 likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 08-31-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 26 Old 08-31-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Garage
Thanks for the relevent reply! It is greatly appreciated.

I thought the CAC boots, and fuel filters were redundant times based on the total scope of repair. I just like to get as many informed opinions as I can. So, I don't go in there running my mouth about some nonsense when i try to get their labor quote down as far as I can.

And, yeah, I can definitely do the pigtail myself to save $65.

Thanks again! There are probably about 10 people I should just start tagging in my original posts. There seems to be a pretty consistent group who actually provides useful input on the 6.0 forums.

Blue spring
Cat ELC coolant
post #10 of 26 Old 08-31-2019, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,044 Times in 938 Posts
Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Here is an interesting article surveying 6.0 rebuild costs:

Cookies check

The link is pretty crazy and who knows why it got renamed like that. Hope it works. If not, I have the article as a PDF on my computer and can post later.
AudioEng03 likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLink™ LX, Autometer EGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode