• 2 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP WITH PRESSURE TESTING HPOP system

Hi All -
Searched the forums on this and could not find a definitive answer. When pressure testing the oil system with shop air through the ICP connector, I saw Diesel Tech Ron (RIP) do it without energizing/closing the IPR valve (unless he just did not mention it). When I do it this way, I hear a very faint sound of air through the oil fill tube, and also at the crankcase breather tube on the driver side. Is very light, had to listen with some tubing. Used about 130 lbs of air.

Other guys on line aren't checking for leaks until they close the IPR valve. Can some please let me know if I have to close the IPR to correctly check for leaks? Or is this just isolating part of the system for specific leaks in certain areas?

Truck is an 05 studded with all the standard recommended updates. Has been running great and all of the sudden would not start (cold or hot). Hoping it is just an IPR valve, since I already have updated plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting, and since the HPOPs don't usually go bad on 05 and later years...Any guesses on the problem or info on what closing the IPR Valve does during testing would be much appreciated. THANKS!

Numbers on torque app were:
FICM 48.5
ICP Pressure -key off - 0, cranking 300-400
IPR% - Key Off 14 Cranking 84%
ICP V- around .2 at Key off, 0.6 at cranking
RPM at crank 230
FICM sync yes.
Low pressure oil side is good

Thanks again

-
2005 PSD 6.0 FX4, STUDS, DELETE, 4" MBRP TURBO BACK EXHAUST, SRL+ TUNE, BLUE SPRING, CAT1/ELC COOLANT, SINISTER COOLANT FILTER, SYNTHETIC OIL, ARCHOIL FUEL AND OIL ADDITIVES, TORQUE APP MONITOR SYSTEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
He leaves the valve open to allow better bleeding off of the oil in the rail. Then he closes it.

You have to close it or air will flow out.

The first step probably should be to pull the IPR valve and look for something blinding off the screen.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Bismic. That makes sense. I will order a pigtail for the ipr so I can close it manually... Will also pull it out and check the screen..

-
2005 PSD 6.0 FX4, STUDS, DELETE, 4" MBRP TURBO BACK EXHAUST, SRL+ TUNE, BLUE SPRING, CAT1/ELC COOLANT, SINISTER COOLANT FILTER, SYNTHETIC OIL, ARCHOIL FUEL AND OIL ADDITIVES, TORQUE APP MONITOR SYSTEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-07-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Pressurized the system through the IPR Valve with the sealed tester fitting. Did not appear to be any leaks. While the IPR Valve was out I bench tested it with shop air and 12 v and seemed to work, closing off the valve and stopping most of the air flow. There was a small crack in the screen. I did not find much inside the valve...There was a small flake of something on the outside of the screen. Since the valve seemed to be working I was a bit confused on what the problem might be, and was thinking maybe PCM or something else not sending signal to the valve...

I decided to install the new IPR Valve. After doing so she seems to be running good with all the numbers looking normal. I got to to say, that IPR Valve is a pain in butt to get to, or I should say trying to plug the connector back in and reinstalling the two shields (on the wire and the valve). There is not much room for anyone with a medium to large hands to work back there...May take the turbo out next time...

Question: What is the relationship between the ICP voltage and the IPR %? Who controls who? For example, at key off ICP-V is around .2V and IPR% is around 14% and right now at idle ICP-V is around .8-1.0 and IPR% is around 22-28....When I was having the no start problem, during cranking IPR% was at 84% and ICP-V was only 0.6. Is this normal? Should ICP-V be higher in this instance? Just trying to figure out and make sure ICP sensor is working 100% correctly....

Thanks in advance

-
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2019, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
The ICP sensor returns a voltage to the PCM. The PCM converts that to a pressure value. It compares that against the desired ICP pressure and then commands the IPR to a higher or lower duty cycle.

The %IPR duty cycle is a commanded value only. The IPR is a fast acting valve with an open or closed position (the drain is closed when the PCM applies the ground and it opens when the ground is removed). The 12V positive is connected to the IPR as soon as you turn the key on and remains until turned off.

Approximate relationship between the ICP sensor voltage and pressure:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...6&d=1487992315
Patriot and jokester00 like this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bismic; 09-07-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if pressure testing the high pressure oil system on an 03 is the same as an 05? I have the air fitting for an IPR port and was wondering if I can test for air leaks the same way as I did on my 05. I'm helping a buddy with an 03.

If the hpop is the culprit will I hear air leaking at the oil filter like in an 05?

Thanks in advance!

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode