51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 Old 08-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake pedal returning all the way to home position?

I suppose after that the anti lock valve

orrrr ...I would be tempted to run the same test and loosen the line at the master cylinder, -- master cylinder has to return all the way home for fluid to flow into the reservoir -- if the hydro boost is not returning -- or the connecting rod is too long

People replace the master cylinder without checking connecting rod clearance -- I'm gonna say most of the time
Not sure if there is a "factory" specified procedure -- but basically when the hydro boost and master cylinder are at home position, there must be a few thousands clearance in the connecting rod length

Some of the other Guys may have input on this

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 08-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Quoted: 3232 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood71 View Post
Welp it is not the hose
The OEM calipers on my 05 have metal pistons and the bottom piston on the passenger side got rusty and was sticking. Didn't look at the new Raybestos to see if they're metal or phenolic but I've dealt with enough remans when I found brand new ones I went that way. About a month earlier I put Advance Auto remans on the back of my 7.3. If you look at both trucks now, the calipers on the 7.3 are rusting and the new ones on the 05 look great. They're zinc coated I believe. Can't beat the price and no core to send back. Don't forget to get a couple quarts of brake fluid. A cheap pneumatic/vacuum bleeder from HF made the job easy, pull a vacuum until most of the bubbles quit then standard pump em close bleeders, let off, open, pump em....to finish. Handy for fluid flush too, pulls enough vacuum to suck out the master cylinder before filling with fresh before starting to draw the old fluid out of the lines. I couldn't get all the air out with it but it sure beat doing it all with a helper pumping the brakes to fill the new calipers.
https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...der-92924.html

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 43 Old 08-24-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Pedal Is normal on return. I'd like to think if my pressure release valve was bad both front wheels would be locked?

As i replaced the brake hose earlier i noticed the caliper was not equally spaced with each piston, the bottom piston was barely out and as for the top piston it was out quit a bit. So i had a moment i saying to myself its probably the dam caliper.

Now my side vehicle wouldn't start at first then now won't stay running, I haven't ran it since May,, so I cant make this a priority over my truck right now.

I have to to what I need to and so, I'll go down to AdvanceAuto tomorrow to pick up a new caliper. I needs a ride.

If I had one more day of PTO time I'd take off monday, but sitting on what I have left for added holiday time off coming up. The wife needs her vehicle. I'm stuck getting this back on the road by tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 Old 08-25-2019, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Sorry, what I should have asked earlier when you said opening the bleeder released the grip was if there was a pressure release of fluid, it's not much, but there is some with a bad hose.

Your observation of the pistons acting differently can be a good tell of a caliper piston issue, so the caliper flip is a good path. You still could have had multiple issues with a hose and a caliper. Just remember to check pad fitment in the brackets and the slide pins if the new caliper does not come with a new bracket and pins.
post #25 of 43 Old 08-25-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about the rotors. You can't actually warp cast iron rotors. I would do new calipers, make sure you do a brake flush before you replace them.
post #26 of 43 Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Dam Caliper

Thanks for the tips guys
jokester00 likes this.
post #27 of 43 Old 08-25-2019, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
I wouldn't worry about the rotors. You can't actually warp cast iron rotors. I would do new calipers, make sure you do a brake flush before you replace them.
Right or wrong, here is what I have been taught -

Since the metal of the rotor is harder than the brake pad applying friction to it, then of course the pad will wear down while the rotor remains largely unaffected. With excessive heat, the metal becomes soft enough for the pad to wear down the rotor surface. This means that slightly less dense spots in the metal wear down faster and make the harder spots stick out, causing imbalance (I guess technically it isn't warping). Also, at EXTREME temperatures, some areas of the rotor can even become crystalline and essentially become harder than surrounding areas.

I have also been taught that improper lug nut torquing can cause stresses and essentially "warp" a rotor. Heating it up to excessive temperatures when exposed to improper torque can also cause an imbalance (that I called warping). Sudden cooling can cause even more problems.

Last edited by bismic; 08-26-2019 at 01:37 AM.
post #28 of 43 Old 08-25-2019, 05:41 PM
Brrrrrrr......cccccold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Quote:
First of all disc brakes are not made of cast iron. They are made of grey iron (which in a small way is "casted" iron). Cast iron in itself is way too brittle.
With that being said, rotors are warped on a daily basis by the thousands in a way that @bismic described.

To the OP. Trust me when I say what I said in my last post. You can chase your tail all damn day or you can just do the job right. You need to inspect the hub. Throw away the rotors and the calipers. I can guarantee that you have warped the phenolic pistons and damaged a few other parts.
Phenolic pistons do not like extreme heat. I replaced mine with steel pistons and I flush my systems yearly.

'nuf said.

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #29 of 43 Old 08-25-2019, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Right or wrong, here is what I have been taught -

Since the metal of the rotor is harder than the brake pad applying friction to it, and of course the pad will wear down while the rotor remains largely unaffected. With excessive heat, the metal becomes soft enough for the pad to wear down the rotor surface. This means that slightly less dense spots in the metal wear down faster and make the harder spots stick out, causing imbalance (I guess technically it isn't warping). .
Correct, it's called DTV (disc thickness variation). The disc wears down in different spots, usually from improper break in. When breaking in the pads, DO NOT STOP. THis transfers disc pad material to the disc, causing different wear patterns in that spot. Ever seen blue spots on a rotor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsargent View Post
First of all disc brakes are not made of cast iron. They are made of grey iron (which in a small way is "casted" iron). Cast iron in itself is way too brittle.
With that being said, rotors are warped on a daily basis by the thousands in a way that @bismic described.
Doesn't happen daily, happens over time, on those gray iron rotors (which are in fact a type of cast iron). I stand by that rotors cannot warp from one high heat cycle.

OP, I wouldn't buy rotors until they have any vibration.
post #30 of 43 Old 08-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Brrrrrrr......cccccold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Quote:
Correct, it's called DTV (disc thickness variation). The disc wears down in different spots, usually from improper break in. When breaking in the pads, DO NOT STOP. THis transfers disc pad material to the disc, causing different wear patterns in that spot. Ever seen blue spots on a rotor?

Doesn't happen daily, happens over time, on those gray iron rotors (which are in fact a type of cast iron). I stand by that rotors cannot warp from one high heat cycle.

OP, I wouldn't buy rotors until they have any vibration.
whatever man, I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest. I've done hundreds if not thousands of brake jobs. Had my shop for years.
OP do what you want to do . It's your life. not mine.

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode