11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Oil cooler issue?

Just bought a 05 6.0 with 172k on it. It’s studded and egr delete with block off plate. I have an edge monitor. I’m seeing on a 105 degree Texas day at the most 236 oil cooler temp and 210 coolant. Usually will run 225ish. Should I be worried?? Truck has tune but owner did not know what kind it was. Its pretty quick. Lifted on 37’s.
mhatlen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 11:10 AM

I believe your oil temp is too far apart from your coolant. From what i have read 15 degree delta is the max between them. So you're at the extreme of "acceptable". Usually a result of clogged passages in the oil cooler. Some have had some luck with doing a coolant flush procedure to try to clean the system up and remove old coolant. The old ford coolant breaks down and clogs the oil cooler if left int here too long. If you decide to replace the oil cooler, definitely run through a coolant flush first. If you leave the old coolant in there you might just re-clog the new oil filter.

I too have a '05 6.0 but with 132k when i bought it earlier this year. It had a clogged oil cooler as well. In the winter i had 16 degree delta after about 20min of driving. I cant give you a reference now as i updated to bulletproof air to oil cooler and moved over to 7.3L fan mod. In vegas when its 110 degrees i now run high 90s coolant and about the same for oil (within 3 degrees-ish), again after the updates.

I'm not sure i answered the question... worried, slightly. Need to address soon, definitely. I assume at that temp you are breaking down the oil at a faster rate, the oil is used for a few other important things to keep the truck running.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Although it sounds high, it needs to be warmed up, flat and level, at 65. If its still out of tolerance, a backflush may be in order for a clogged oil cooler. With the OEM cooler, doesn't really matter what the outdoor temp is, at some point the engine warms up, and the thermostat opens and then the delta should stay within 15.
john galt likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Today I was getting 25 degree delta. But never went above 225.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I would replace the oil cooler for sure. Way too high.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
ok..i will try to be brief
your temps are a tad high and th delta is high
HOWEVER
as Chris said you need to be at temp on level ground cruising at 65 for at least a few minutes, i have read 20, to get a real accurate delta read.
that said what coolant are you running sorry if you said i didnt catch it
do you have a coolant filter have you flushed the cooling system a full proper flush restore, restore +, then distilled water until it comes out clear then add in the right coolant any good elc cat rated stuff.
is your oil filter stock location
if so moving it with a relocation kit would make your life simpler in the future if you intend to own the truck a while... but it isnt mandatory...
just makes it nice the next time, because there will be one.
did the po use a dorman cooler or something "sinister"
(pun intended)
they are junk and will run hot right out of the box.

if you have the funds and really want to do it right get an ipr fiter which allows you to backflush later
flush any chance of ford g05 out and get a good elc in
pick up a relocation kit again if you intend to own the truck for a couple hundred k and have the cash to throw at it.
it will simplify things later which is really really nice.

if money is no object look into a BPD air to oil cooler and you will never have to change it again. but be warned they are proud of their stuff. dont get me wrong its first rate but pricey.
i run their oil and egr coolers and have for years with no issue
i do intend to delete but somehow something else always seems to pop up
some of us like to do a cascade flush as well as the restore. restore gets the g05 slime out and cascade helps with scale if the po ran tap water in your system.
again not necessary but it has helped a lot of guys on here avoid future flushes and/or oil cooler replacement
oil coolers are known to collect gunk from the system and if it is not flushed out really well ...guys have had to replace brand new oil coolers because they clog up right after they are changed
flushing is your friend
hope that helps
do it once do it right and enjoy the ride

edit:
a good synthetic oil wont start to break down until you hit 250 but i prefer mine under 210 even on hot days in the montains
though i have read that contaminants dont even start to burn out until about 200
mine most of the time stays around 190 to 196 on really. hot days in the mountains. over 100 degrees ambient
mhatlen likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Last edited by john galt; 08-20-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 12:00 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Garage
We are throwing a lot at you I’m sure. But here’s a little more.

First thing: after your trucks cooled off and it’s next day what are your temps.
Oil & Cooler ?? are they both the same temp before starting?? 1-2* difference tops.
If trucks not run 12 hours or so is temps same as ambient temp ?

25* is horrible and will raise hell and needs to be addressed.

Coolant type ? CAT EC-1 type is by far the best.
Thermostat age & make. Motorcraft 194* is go to.
Oil cooler ? Motorcraft again go to.

I’m against pouring in a acid period. Acids on iron flashes the metal ( burns away outer layer) and it’s microscopic and since iron is porous it goes in a ways. The acid stays reactive until it’s ph level is dropped by a soap or recommended fluid for the cause.

What happens much too often is the flush to remove the acid doesn’t remove all of it due to all the casting flow areas. So the acid left in the pores of the iron keeps doing what acids do: EATING away at the casting. It falls away taking the casting sand from the forging process with it.
The metal and casting sand catch a ride in the coolant and get busy plugging up the new oil cooler just installed 2 weeks to 2 months after the acid flush was done.
I say DONT DO IT.

There are no kidding thousands of Threads: New oil cooler plugged 30* 2 weeks after installed in one form or another.

If your system has oil in the coolant use Simple Green first to break it down. Then go with liquid Cascade w/Dawn Dishwasher soap.
The stuff works and it works well. Been used in shops when I was 15. That’s 40 years ago its not a new hair brained idea. Look at your glass cups after a cycle. It’s a inert cleaning agent that is anti suds and doesn’t bind to water or solids. It leaves nothing behind ( inert). Gods gift.

Then you need to look at how to back flush your oil cooler. If the cooler is a off brand like John Galt stated there’s NO.CURE replace it. Motorcraft or get the hatchet. Sinister is crap too if someone tells you different, smile and never listen to them about squat for the truck.

Flushing these engines ain’t no picnic. Lots of u-tube clips on proper steps.

I will give it to you brief. LMAO here comes brief

Pull BOTH BLOCK PLUGS.
Pull off lower hose at radiator.
Pull thermostat out
Pull coolant tank out.
Separate two hoses to the tee.
Take oil cooler cover off and get 3/4” clear hose for connecting to port.

Take hose #1 Wrap a towel around it and force up lower hose you pulled off radiator
Start truck.
Take hose #2 and force water through hoses that you separated. One at a time.
There’s a metal line to a hose on pass.valve cover open it too.
Push water through that one like the others.
Clear line to cooler push water in the hose. That forces fluids backwards in the cooler.

Give the engine a good rev every minute or two. This produces high pump flows and blows crap out of the open block plugs. The garbage all sinks to the lower part of the block. But hitched a ride up to oil cooler with time. Got to get the crap out of it. I put a 5 gallon bucket under each block openings water hit buckets. Keep watching those buckets. Once you can’t put any grit in them anymore you have completed the flush.

You will need to fill and drain with distilled water three times. Fill it run 5 mins drain. Repeat twice.

Last step is add 3-1/2 gallons of CONCENTRATE CAT EC-1 along with 3-1/2 gals distilled.

I gotta sleep holy cow. Hope that helps. If you have questions let me know. Oh if God loves you the oil cooler will be 3-5* above engine temp.
bismic and SparkyF250 like this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3 CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4 Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4 SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too

Last edited by mhatlen; 08-21-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Try to clarify a bit.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Appreciate the info. Yea temps are pretty even till I drive for about 20-30 min then they start to jump. I did notice the oil cooler with start to go down to 15-20 deltas after I get on a flat surface.
Driving in Fort Worth traffic everyday doesn’t help. I’m in that 220-225 range. Local shop quoted me $2500 for new oil cooler and change some fitting can’t remember and pull and clean turbo as well. Not sure if that’s a good price. Trucks runs amazing for now.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Garage
Don’t let that go too long the oil should be 3-5* with a healthy cooling system and cooler.
You have a thermostat issue as well if your temp sender is good.

My trucks tuned w/mods and I see 194-200 tops on coolant temps and 3* warmer oil u less I’m pushing it really hard up a grade at elevation. I’d say 8-10 is the most I’ve seen yet.

The price is pretty inline since he’s freshening up turbo and STC fitting surely is what slipped your mind. There are standpipes that he by all means do as well since they are right there. You If he does the flush too I say that’s a pretty good price for all of it.

QUOTE][/QUOTE]
SparkyF250 likes this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3 CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4 Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4 SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
post #10 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What the best oil cooler option? Will a tune effect the oil temp? Not sure tune it has but seems pretty hot. I can spin 37’s like nothing. My gas mileage it’s 10.5 so far. 😢.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode