Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   At home tranny flush? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1367579-home-tranny-flush.html)

twood71 08-17-2019 11:13 PM

31 Attachment(s)
Seen this 17 minute YouTube vid on at home tranny flush for our 5r110w.

It's about 3 years old, anyways thoughts on this?

Stupid? waste of time? A lie?

Or legit way to change out the tranny fluid?

https://youtu.be/HGs6v_yztWw

Jjorgis5569 08-18-2019 01:28 AM

I think regular fluid and filter changes are sufficient. However if I were inclined to do a flush, Id start on a warm truck, start it with a return line disconnected, and add fluid through the dipstick until it flowed clean. Then drop the pan and change filters, but Im a bit OCD about regular maintenance so I revert to my first sentence.

bismic 08-18-2019 05:17 AM

Best transmission flush process:

I gotta admit that I didn't watch all of what you posted, but I made sure it wasn't the same video as the one I posted.

Also - folks had better not leave the bypass filter out unless they install the 08 pan and filter.

SparkyF250 08-18-2019 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twood71 (Post 16319411)
Seen this 17 minute YouTube vid on at home tranny flush for our 5r110w.

It's about 3 years old, anyways thoughts on this?

Stupid? waste of time? A lie?

Or legit way to change out the tranny fluid?

https://youtu.be/HGs6v_yztWw

I have a problem with blowing out the cooler the way he did. First is moisture, I drain my compressor tank pretty regular, and then it goes thru a dryer before it goes to the hose. Even with that, in these humid summer months I can trigger my air gun at times and see the moisture come out. Second, normal shop air is over 100 psi. If you want to do what the video shows, add another dryer/regulator and don't blow much over 3-5 psi thru the cooler.
Also why wouldn't you install a new bypass TP filter? You have it open, put a new element in there. :doh:

IMO after watching them both, I like the one posted by @bismic better. Never thought of the 3/4" tubing idea, that'll safely get more out than just a pan drop.

PSD POWER007 08-18-2019 06:54 AM

Where is the thermostat located in the system?

ZMANN 08-18-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjorgis5569 (Post 16319419)
I think regular fluid and filter changes are sufficient. However if I were inclined to do a flush, Id start on a warm truck, start it with a return line disconnected, and add fluid through the dipstick until it flowed clean. Then drop the pan and change filters, but Im a bit OCD about regular maintenance so I revert to my first sentence.

you can not get the transmission warm enough while sitting in a driveway doing a flush for the cooler circuit to remain fully open

that why these need the heated flush or the direct filter tube refill trick ( I think Bismic posted a link )

ZMANN 08-18-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSD POWER007 (Post 16319467)

the cooler circuit system control is not able to be manually bypassed or manipulated with electronics

i wish it was that easy

PSD POWER007 08-18-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMANN (Post 16319543)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSD POWER007 (Post 16319467)

the cooler circuit system control is not able to be manually bypassed or manipulated with electronics

i wish it was that easy

I know that. I was just wondering where the thermostat is in the system. And the tube trick in the system, how does it get the fluid that the thermostat has blocked while it’s closed. I’m just trying to figure out how this makes for a complete system flush.

twood71 08-18-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 16319443)
Best transmission flush process:

I gotta admit that I didn't watch all of what you posted, but I made sure it wasn't the same video as the one I posted.

Also - folks had better not leave the bypass filter out unless they install the 08 pan and filter.

I like that one, simpler.

I haven't searched yet but we are on the subject, the 08 pan filter upgrade will it be to tall for the 2wd trucks?

My 06 DRW is 2wd and the 08 pan upgradee as I understand is deeper and was wondering would I have problems with hitting/scrapping the upgrade pan do to clearance issues?

ZMANN 08-18-2019 09:09 AM

you better not leave the bypass filter out even with the 08 an and filter unless you remove the bypass manifold also and run straight lines to and from the cooler