LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange HVAC Issue

I have an 05 F550 with the Electronic Auto HVAC Controls. I have done some searching and it seems that most people seem to have issues with the display not working. That's not what I get. The display works great but when I set a temp or even set it to manual control I can hear the blend doors moving around in the dash but the blower fan does not come on. No matter what button I push it doesn't move any air. After a while of driving it might decide to come on but even on max it just doesn't seem to move much air. Like you can feel a light breeze on your face with the vents pointed at you in the drivers seat. There is no way anything will get to the back seat. I have tested the connector at the blower fan and when I tested the voltage went up and down at the connector when someone pushed the fan button on the display. I have replaced the blower motor thinking that maybe the brushes were bad and it just wasn't spinning like it should but that gave me no change. I'm not sure what to do from here. Any suggestions? Is my display controller bad maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Any air coming out of any of the vents?

My vacuum pump went bad on my F550 and the only place it'll blow air is through the windshield vents, no matter the vent options I've picked.

2004 - F-550 Crew Cab ZF-6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I can feel cool air coming out of the correct vents depending on what setting I have it on like went/floor/defrost. There just isn't any force behind it. I can also hear clicking a thumping inside the dash when I select a different vent setting. I assume that is the blend doors moving around to direct the air to the correct place. I also hear my vacuum pump run when I turn on the key and it is producing vacuum. I tested this by removing the line from the pump to the reservoir bleeding of all of the vacuum and then letting it pump it back down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dude...I know this is going to sound batguano crazy but the next time it screws up or if the screen goes black on the ac control try turning the headlights all the way on then off a few times and see if magic happens. It happens once and a while on my 2005 F250. I know yours is different but there's a lot of interchangeable parts that Ford likes to play around with to cut costs. Yes, I took it to ford and that's actually what the tech FROM Ford not the dealership figured out. It happens once or twice a year.

Last edited by Pamunkey; 08-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nope doesn't sound bat** crazy. I found that when I did a search and seems to work for a lot of people when the display goes black. Mine has not gone black and display wise looks great. But I did try turning on and off the headlights and pulling the HVAC fuse to reset it like in other threads with no change. I did say this is a strange HVAC issue Besides I thought all of the wizards out here needed a challenge
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
So yeah, your blower speed controller either is bad or the wiring in the connector is burned

Look up under the dash behind the glove box on the heater fan box -- should see the heavy wires going to the controller -- there is an attached heat sink that fits into the fan box

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode