post #11 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
If your ECT doesn't exceed 190* at any driving condition........you need a tstat first.

After all that oil cooler work to have the same delta "problem" would be a headache cause spending more money than you need to could have been avoided.
I though he was a bit cool on the ect too but his first post said it's running 188-190, a new Tstat will bump him up to 192-194 and that ain't gonna help 246* oil temps
bismic and jokester00 like this.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hopefully he resolves this soon. I HATE to see oil that hot!! Sometimes we forget that this temperature is at the coolest point for the oil!
SparkyF250 and jokester00 like this.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 09:59 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
I though he was a bit cool on the ect too but his first post said it's running 188-190, a new Tstat will bump him up to 192-194 and that ain't gonna help 246* oil temps

There's more to ECT/EOT delta spread than "it's a clogged oil cooler". This is why I posted to get a tstat done first.
A) It's WAY cheaper....even at dealership prices over swapping an oil cooler that just might be working correctly where the coolant system is the problem.
2) His ECT numbers of 188-190 show a HUGE problem.....Where as the EOT numbers are a mute point until the coolant system is functioning correctly.

First off the Tstat controls the overall function of the coolant temp, along with the coolant pump it also controls the coolant flow path.

With the tstat closed the coolant pump circulates the coolant thru the flow path....(i.e. the oil cooler). When the coolant reaches temps the tstat will start to open at the set temp (i.e. 190*). Why?? Cause the coolant system needs to flow into the radiator to transfer heat off the coolant...after which time the now lower coolant temp causes the tstat to close. Then as the cycle goes again....second verse the same as the first. SO one should always see the ECT ranging between 190-199* (driving conditions dependent).

This tells you the tstat is working and the coolant is flowing properly being effective in it's J.O.B..."absorbing heat and transferring it to the outside air via the radiator."

IF the tstat fails....and they sure do.....what happens???? The tstat should fail OPEN.

Why??? This should prevent any significant issues as coolant flow is CONTINUOUS to the radiator along it's path thru the motor.

Okay...why is that "bad"???
CAUSE the coolant is now NOT being as efficient at the "absorption" of heat (effective heat transfer) from the oil that circulates thru the oil cooler. So your coolant is running wide open thru the oil cooler straight to the radiator...hence the oil cannot transfer the heat at the same rate of flow as the coolant is flowing thru the oil cooler.

How would you know???.....High EOT with a low ECT readings. Shown where ECT is NOT operating in the normal range which is OVER it's lower opening limit of 190*F.

So the the OP.....unless you see ECT ranging thru 190-199* (or thereabouts) you have a tstat problem....not an oil cooler problem. Once you control the coolant flow correctly THEN you should see the coolant doing it's J.O.B....collecting heat from the passages of the oil cooler....which just so happens to LOWER overall EOTs......who would have guessed.

IF by some chance your ECTs are already or start ranging correctly and your EOT delta exceeds the accepted "6.0 ECT/EOT delta" (I recall that to be more like a 15* delta) then by all means replace your oil cooler.

At the end a system functioning properly should show ECT ranging 190-199*, and EOT generally holds a pretty steady 2-5* range that follows the ECT temps. As ECT drops....EOT will hold for a bit...then drop a little (ranging 2-5*). Now the 190* coolant is circulating thru the motor collecting heat....rising to say 199* as the tstat is now full Open flowing thru the radiator as well as the other flow paths (i.e. the oil cooler)....EOT will tend to creep up a tad (ranging 2-5*)....then start dropping as the coolant exits the radiator.......it's a cycle.
Tobydog007, Hydro and 18M_RWR like this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd also make sure that you're following the right procedure to test the spread. It seems like there are a lot of methods floating around out there (the Ford process seems to say to do WOT first to get to max boost, which seems odd).

But, most all specify to be unloaded, on flat ground, doing 55-60 (not too fast), and for at least 10 miles so that the temps stabilize. Around town driving wouldn't give you an accurate reading, although I don't want to point to the right procedure because I just searched and found a bunch of different info.
HeavyAssault and Hydro like this.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
It doesn't hurt to be very "controlled" in how you take the data, but the fact is that it just isn't that sensitive if the oil cooler is clear.

My split is under 10 at all speeds, at WOT, and even towing.

The confusion over Ford's procedure was when they specified a "careful acceleration to WOT".

That can mean one of two things -
1. Be careful when accelerating because it can be a safety problem
2. Get to WOT without MASHING the accelerator (ie do it in a controlled manner)

Neither of those two methods are all that confusing.

The fact is FORD REALLY states to get to maximum boost by a careful acceleration to WOT. The object is maximum boost - however you want to get there.

People make WAY too much of that IMO. I frequently give in to the pressure and state "constant highway speed" like everyone else has adopted.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 03:09 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's what I recall for the TSB. It may have been updated since 2009: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/CT...n.com_-_~W.pdf

The short read:

5. Road Test For Restricted Oil Cooler - Setup and Observations:

a. Install integrated diagnostic system (IDS), select engine coolant temperature (ECT) and engine oil temperature (EOT) PID's on IDS Datalogger.

b. Carefully drive the vehicle at wide open throttle (WOT) / high load to achieve maximum boost.

NOTE: FOR ACCURATE TEST RESULTS, ECT TEMPERATURE MUST BE GREATER THAN 190 F (88 C) WHEN MEASURING THE ECT AND EOT MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL.

NOTE: PERFORMING THIS TEST STEP OUT OF SEQUENCE CAN RESULT IN INACCURATE TEST RESULTS. THIS CAN BE CAUSED BY A LEAKING EGR COOLER ALLOWING (HOT) COMBUSTION GASES TO ENTER THE ENGINE COOLANT AND ARTIFICIALLY RAISING ECT READINGS.

c. Observe ECT and EOT PID's on IDS Datalogger. EOT maximum temperature differential might occur at throttle tip-out.

1. If EOT is within 15 F (8.4 C) degrees of the ECT, go to Step 7.

2. If EOT exceeds ECT by 15 F (8.4 C) or more at any time during the test, go to Step 6.

SO once again.....If your ECTs don't effectively move much over 190*F.....you have another problem to solve before you can say....."it's a clogged oil cooler".
Hydro likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode