LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Have I Done?

Well it finally happened. I had a need for a heavier truck then my current OBS F-350. I hated to do it but I had to let my 7.3 go and now I have a 6.0 F-550. I'm excited and I love the new ish truck. It's an 05 with 270K on the truck and 160K on the engine which was a crate engine installed by Ford under a previous owners extended warranty. I love it but I'm reading all of the horror stories about the 6.0 and I'm starting to chew my finger nails. Mainly bad lifters killing the whole engine. This truck has already had ARP studs, a new oil cooler, EGR cooler, New injectors, Fuel regulator blue spring kit, and CTS all done in the last 20K miles with full receipts to prove it.

So my first question in the new not me forum. The heads were machined correctly and OEM gaskets were used when the studs were done. My concern is that they did not put in the shorter 6.4L pushrods. Is this something I should get out and get done ASAP before anything bad happens? Or is it likely fine? The truck runs great and idles super smooth with no vibration at all. Well, at least compared to my old 7.3.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to learning from you guys out here.

1997 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 (DRW Conversion) Auto. 290K miles
Stainless Irate Bellowed Up Pipes, Fresh stock Turbo with 1.0 Housing & Wicked Wheel II, 3" Downpipe with 4" Exhaust, Banks Intercooled, 6.0 Fan, 39 gal rear fuel tank + 70 gal Transfer Flow in the bed, Hydroboost Conversion, Completely New Suspension (Springs, Shocks, Bushings), 05 Dana 80 rear with Aluminum Cover and Disk Brakes, Baby Swamps, Hydra Chip PHP Tunes, Swamps IDM, Dually Swap, Red Head Steering Box and Borgeson Steering Shaft, Mark Fugazzotto efuel, Sam Wyse Stage 1 Trans installed by [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mishmoto 6.0 Trans Cooler, 2017 Front Bumper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 05:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
IMO, no. If you find yourself taking the valve cover or heads off and it bugs you, go ahead. There's so much that "could" go wrong with these, you gotta draw the line somewhere. I feel like the base engine is very stout, including lifters. Yes there's posts about lifters going bad and ruining the LPOP, but changing those is very time consuming and expensive, so much so IMO its worth the risk.

I have an oil leak I suspect is either the oil pan, bedplate, rear main seal, or front cover, but probably at least two of those. To fix the bedplate, the engine is coming out, and if the engine comes out, that's when I plan on getting that drip a day oil leak fixed along with lifters, and maybe a couple other things. I'm at a 190K and the engine may never come out and I think I'll be fine lifter wise.

Here's a thread of a guy who changed the pushrods, just for reference: https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...e-pushrod.html

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
So we have a few 550 my personal one is a 04 550 the best thing you can buy is a edge insight to watch everything because they are geared different then a 250 or 350. Itís going to run hotter because your hold higher rpms so donít freak out when your oil gets hot it will go back down when you slow down. If your ocd like me I put the bpd fan clutch and water pump on it helps a lot. I just put a new motor in it due to a lifter going bad at 186k but I didnít get the truck till 115k so from the service records I have on the truck it tells me that it was due to poor maintenance before I got it they would let the oil go 15k without changing it so that being said keep up with your oil. A 550 works a lot harder than a 250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks guys. I'm just going through the new truck paranoia. I have pretty good service records on my truck. They PO spend a little over 16K of services over the last 8 years and 25K miles. In that time it has had head studs and all new injectors to point out a couple of things. I am planning on getting an SCT and I will keep in mint the temps you mentioned. I have 4:88's in my truck so it makes sense. I have never had a truck with that low of gears. This 550 will have an easy life from now on. I will not work it very hard by 550 standards. I bought it for payload to carry my truck camper. Our current camper weighs 4600 and the new one we are looking at goes 6K pounds so that will be the life for this truck from now on. A relative picnic for a 550 and I'm super OCD with maintenance, repairs, and mods.
ChrisSki likes this.

1997 Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 (DRW Conversion) Auto. 290K miles
Stainless Irate Bellowed Up Pipes, Fresh stock Turbo with 1.0 Housing & Wicked Wheel II, 3" Downpipe with 4" Exhaust, Banks Intercooled, 6.0 Fan, 39 gal rear fuel tank + 70 gal Transfer Flow in the bed, Hydroboost Conversion, Completely New Suspension (Springs, Shocks, Bushings), 05 Dana 80 rear with Aluminum Cover and Disk Brakes, Baby Swamps, Hydra Chip PHP Tunes, Swamps IDM, Dually Swap, Red Head Steering Box and Borgeson Steering Shaft, Mark Fugazzotto efuel, Sam Wyse Stage 1 Trans installed by [email protected]
, Mishmoto 6.0 Trans Cooler, 2017 Front Bumper.

post #5 of 5 Old Today, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I still have to check recession numbers on the pushrods in the lifters, but having the original 6.0 pushrods should not be a concern. Not only my opinion but Geoff Bardal owner of Colt Cams.

Jack
Former Vehicle Test Manager, Friction Products.
03 F350SC 4x4 6.0 Auto 5/30/03

YouTube Videos - TooManyToys

Never buy a Ford Remanufactured motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode