1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Erratic Fuel Pressure

Ok so Iíve been having this issue for a while now. First some back story. When I got the truck (Ď04 F250) about a year and a half ago fuel pressure at idle was like 58 psi and it would drop below 45 if I wasnít careful. I eventually put on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator which it then idled at like 75-80 psi with the adjustment all the way backed out. Still could go below 45 psi. Then the idle pressure started to slowly go down from week to week until the pump just died. Put a new pump on and idle pressure is back to 75-80 depending on temp outside. So thatís where we are now. So the other pressure problem that Iíve had since I got the truck (1.5 years ago) and with both pumps, is that pressure will just randomly drop 5-10 psi instantly for a second or two then go back to where it was. No rhyme or reason. It can happen 20+ times a day or not at all. It can happen at idle, cruising, or at wot. Not normally a problem but when it does it at wot I have to back off the pedal to stay above 45psi. Iíve read everything I can and canít figure it out. Btw, the adjustable regulator is from accurate diesel and I also changed the spring and other related parts. Pick up foot is intact, and filters are clean. No leaks and no fuel in the oil per my last oil analysis. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 F250 6.0 CC King Ranch
IPR Gen 3 Delete w/ coolant filter, studded, blue spring, 4" turbo back straight pipe, sct x4, 4" lift, 35" BFGoodrich, Bilstein 5100s, BDP fan clutch
Always looking for new mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Are you replacing the whole HFCM? When I replaced the HFCM, I replaced the whole module. The HFCM can be taken apart and cleaned. Over the years a brown gunk builds up and if it breaks free it can find its way into the fuel pump and kill it. I would give you some directions, but when I cleaned my HFCM, I ruined the pump, which went to 0 PSI after my cleaning, and that's why I replaced the whole thing. I hear its possible to buy a fuel pump and install it for much cheaper.

I tried to find a YouTube video that shows how to trouble shoot. It basically involves hooking a clear hose to the fuel bowl and checking fuel pressure and looking for bubbles. Also checks for fuel pressure before the pump. My point is there's other things that could be causing the fuel pump to die like a kinked fuel line. If I can find the video, I'll post it.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did replace the whole hfcm.

IPR Gen 3 Delete w/ coolant filter, studded, blue spring, 4" turbo back straight pipe, sct x4, 4" lift, 35" BFGoodrich, Bilstein 5100s, BDP fan clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 AM
Old School

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
What are you using to read fuel pressure? I chased a fuel pressure fluctuation for a few months, turned out the ISSPRO fuel pressure unit **** the bed. Replaced it and found, to my relief, everything was fine.

2006 Ford F250 CCSB FX4 6 Speed Manual
KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch SFDD3250-6.0, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front and Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit, Morimoto LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Itís a glow shift unit on the fuel bowl

post #6 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Old School

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Ray View Post
Itís a glow shift unit on the fuel bowl

I imagine that might be the problem. Unless Glowshift has dramatically increased quality control in the last 8-10 years, I would throw it in the garbage and get something with a better track record to measure something as vital as fuel pressure.

As far as the adjustable regulator, what product are you using?

KC Stage 1 Turbo, Spearco Intercooler, SCT X4 w/ Custom TSD Tunes, ARP Studs, South Bend Dual Disc Clutch SFDD3250-6.0, AirDog II-4G Pump, AFE HD Momentum CAI, AFE CAC Pipes, AFE Intake Horn, AFE Front and Rear Dif Covers, Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back, EGR Delete, Sinister 200 Amp Alternator, Sinister Coolant Filter, BPD Radiator, BPD Water Pump, Big 3 Upgrade, Blue Spring, EDGE Insight CTS2, Morimoto BI-LED Projector Retrofit, Morimoto LED Fog Lights, Bilstein 5100s
post #7 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Iíll order another gauge and sending unit early July and hopefully thatíll be it.

https://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/290.html

That is the one Iím using.

I have it all the way backed out and idle is 75-80 most of the time depending on temp. Iíd bet when it get sub 50* out itíll rise to ~85 till the truck is warm. Will pressure that high hurt anything? The guys at accurate diesel said they tested the unit at 100psi and it didnít cause any problems. Opinions?

post #8 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
I think Glow shift would be the problem, but here's a good video, requires special tools, to troubleshoot fuel pressure:

My cap looks similar to what you're purchasing,
Hydro likes this.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #9 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah Iím hoping itís the gauge. I think it is as everything else doesnít make since (at least to me) or I know is good. What should I go back with? Auto meter? Or roll the dice on another glow shift. My egt gauge is glow shift, I put it in to match the fuel pressure gauge to match which is probably 5-10 years old.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 AM
Old School

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Ray View Post
Yeah I’m hoping it’s the gauge. I think it is as everything else doesn’t make since (at least to me) or I know is good. What should I go back with? Auto meter? Or roll the dice on another glow shift. My egt gauge is glow shift, I put it in to match the fuel pressure gauge to match which is probably 5-10 years old.

Really depends on your budget. I would recommend going the Edge Insight CTS2 route, since you can have everything you need in one gauge package. You can find them used on eBay, Facebook, etc if the price for new is too high. If you want to stay with the gauge pod style, I would recommend either Autometer or ISSPRO, but I'm sure others will chime in.

As far as the sending unit, I would go with ISSPRO part number R89148 which can be purchased through dieselmanor.com or maybe one of our vendors. I replaced my previous sending unit with this part number two months ago and it has worked perfectly. You might be able to use it with your existing Glowshift gauge, but I would check the required voltages before ordering if that is your plan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode